Faire Trip report

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Aodhan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Aodhan »

Well, I had an interesting experience at the San Diego Renaissance Faire, Sep 28-29.

It was held by the historical re-enactment society associated with the museum in Balboa park in San Diego.

Great weekend faire! Lots of vendors, quite a few playtrons (Faire patrons that dress appropriately.)

This was my first public performance with the group. I played whistle backup for our slipjig, (We play foxhunters for it), and I busked a few times here and there. Our dance group was well received, and I even had one lady ask me how many years I'd been playing the flute! (I was playing a modern Boehm flute at the time). It was fun to watch her expression when I told her 3 months!

Our next major excursion will be the Arizona Renaissance faire (8 weekends) where I will be playing a whistle solo as part of a dance drama for our show.

All in all, a good time and a fun trip!

Aodhan
serpent

Post by serpent »

Baby, if you're able to successfully busk after only 3 months on the flute, I want you to write a book on how to get there! My playing, though better after about 5 months of practice, still sux pretty big when doing things like slides and jigs. What's your secret??
Cheers,
Bill Whedon
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

Well, success is a relative term.

Basically, in between shows, I picked out a spot, sat down, and played. Set a basket out near me, and tucked a dollar bill in it for a hint.

On the whistle I played Kesh jig (AABBAB), Christy Barry's set (AABB), and Foxhunters (AABBCCDD), as well as fooling around a little with Mush Mush (Haven't memorized all of it yet.)

On the flute, I played Fields of Athenry and fiddled around with playing "random" (I used to play piano, and got decent at just noodling around stringing notes together that sound decent).

Other than feeling VERY self conscious, it went pretty well, I thought! I'm planning on getting a polymer flute (No wooden in the desert in Arizona while out at faire!), and getting really comfortable with about 3 jigs/reels and 3 or 4 airs to play busking at AzRF.

Aodhan