in praise of Bag Balm

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Cathy Wilde wrote:(Sorry Den, she's into Perch/TBreds
Perch would be my second choice. :D

Some of our horses really like flute, none of them dislike it.
Whistle seems iffy. :twisted:
BillG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillG »

I've been using Badger Balm for years. Great for the flute, fingers, lips. . . . . . .

http://www.badgerbalm.com/

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

I've been trying to preserve some old leather and softwood carvings, and conservators wax has been used (on a conservators recomendation). By accident, I found that it's nice for cracked hands, and doesn't wear off much. Well, after a polishing session, I picked up my large-holed keyless and WHAM! Ornaments just popped, everything worked so much better. It taught me that I have some big technique problems (sealing holes properly - I had thought I was OK), and to be careful what I've got on my hands when I touch a flute!

This wax is a microcrystaline silicone, so it is NOT oil-permeable. This is likely a very bad thing for a flute.

Back to Bag-Balm: someone very close to me has huge foot calouses from many happy childhood years running barefoot on the farm. If BB works for those, it'll do anything!
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

[quote="Chiffed"]I've been trying to preserve some old leather and softwood carvings, and conservators wax has been used (on a conservators recomendation). <snip>/quote]

Is that the same as Butcher's Wax? I've been told I need some of that for a bench that sits on my porch. Need to do an Internet search because it's certainly not in a store near me ... thanks for the reminder!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
Chiffed wrote:I've been trying to preserve some old leather and softwood carvings, and conservators wax has been used (on a conservators recomendation). <snip>/quote]

Is that the same as Butcher's Wax? I've been told I need some of that for a bench that sits on my porch. Need to do an Internet search because it's certainly not in a store near me ... thanks for the reminder!
Not sure. It's Lee Valley Conservators' Wax, pretty expensive stuff for a bench.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Every morning at about 10 o'clock I go up to the barn, feed, brush my soral 1/4 horse. She has a pony to keep her company. I don't much. I used to ride her up the mountain most every day but I get fat doing that so now I walk up the mountain. It is easier to cut down on the horses feed than it is to cut down on my feed. I saw in a book that hacking was good exercise but not for me. I wish I had someone around to ride with. It is more fun riding with some other horse around. I used to Fox Hunt and Cub and show jump. I'm up most of the night writing books and playing my flute in winter. Now I am writing about cryptography on the internet see http://www.patriotcrier.com . Last winter I worked on http://www.flutephysics.com and I have to get back to it this winter. Before long I am going skiing down close to where Johnie Gallagher has his shop; if we ever get any snow this year. I want to try that boxwood flute of Cathies before it leaves his shop, now that it is all fixed up. What a long time to wait. He really did a super job on putting a silver lip plate on my cocobolo R&R.
I wish I could go riding with yous guys.

Nelson
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
Chiffed wrote:I've been trying to preserve some old leather and softwood carvings, and conservators wax has been used (on a conservators recomendation). <snip>/quote]

You might want to try machinists test wax......comes in all hardnesses and they usually sample in 5lb bags (esp if they think you might buy 55gal drums later...they like new apps)......I'll try to remember to get you a name......(remind me)

PS: Oh ya...still got my orig can of "Bomb bag"........(local term)
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Nelson wrote:Every morning at about 10 o'clock I go up to the barn, feed, brush my soral 1/4 horse. She has a pony to keep her company. I don't much. I used to ride her up the mountain most every day but I get fat doing that so now I walk up the mountain. It is easier to cut down on the horses feed than it is to cut down on my feed. I saw in a book that hacking was good exercise but not for me. I wish I had someone around to ride with. It is more fun riding with some other horse around. I used to Fox Hunt and Cub and show jump. I'm up most of the night writing books and playing my flute in winter. Now I am writing about cryptography on the internet see http://www.patriotcrier.com . Last winter I worked on http://www.flutephysics.com and I have to get back to it this winter. Before long I am going skiing down close to where Johnie Gallagher has his shop; if we ever get any snow this year. I want to try that boxwood flute of Cathies before it leaves his shop, now that it is all fixed up. What a long time to wait. He really did a super job on putting a silver lip plate on my cocobolo R&R.
I wish I could go riding with yous guys.

Nelson
Nice to hear from you again! You must be in shorts with the warm weather your getting! How is the flute physics coming? I would like to re-invent the 19th century conical flute... Sounds like you got yourself a nice horse there!
Have you got that Austrian flute playing yet?
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
KateG

Post by KateG »

Cathy: If I'm not mistaken, Butcher's Paste Wax is a Johnson & Johnson and/or Minwax product. It comes in a tin, and can usually be found in the wood finishing section of your local hardware store. It's great for floors and furniture, so would probably be terrible for flutes.
candis bowen

Post by candis bowen »

Nelson, I've got you beat; every morning I get up at 6:00 am & go feed, water, etc. Now that it's freezing, the water in the barn's frozen so I carry buckets out to them. I dunno know why the darn thing freezes; it's one of those kinds that are supposed to NOT freeze. The water drains down the pipe into the gravel bed blah blah (yes, it's definitely deep enough) but the mechanics of the pump itself doesn't work. I've tried adjusting the bolts & stuff to no avail. Oh, well, we've had a great winter so far so I shouldn't bitch.

I don't ride much any more; my Morgan has chronic founder from hypothyroidism & we're trying to save her life. The Halflinger is rideable (without a bit; he has no teeth) but he's actually very responsive with just a halter & lead ropes.

OK, computer question. HOW do you snip someone's response that goes in the little box & answer just that??

Back to flute, I think I've got Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring down yay! No, I know I do. And Yellow Submarine, Groovy Kind of Love, Scarborough Fair (am I showing my age?) & several others. I'm definitely improving. Trouble is, I got a keyboard/synthesizer for Christmas & I keep going back & forth from that & the flute. Keyboard is WAY harder because you've got 2 hands to worry about synchronizing.
Horses, flutes & books – what's life without 'em?
candis bowen

Post by candis bowen »

Nelson, I've got you beat; every morning I get up at 6:00 am & go feed, water, etc. Now that it's freezing, the water in the barn's frozen so I carry buckets out to them. I dunno know why the darn thing freezes; it's one of those kinds that are supposed to NOT freeze. The water drains down the pipe into the gravel bed blah blah (yes, it's definitely deep enough) but the mechanics of the pump itself doesn't work. I've tried adjusting the bolts & stuff to no avail. Oh, well, we've had a great winter so far so I shouldn't bitch.

I don't ride much any more; my Morgan has chronic founder from hypothyroidism & we're trying to save her life. The Halflinger is rideable (without a bit; he has no teeth) but he's actually very responsive with just a halter & lead ropes.

OK, computer question. HOW do you snip someone's response that goes in the little box & answer just that??

Back to flute, I think I've got Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring down yay! No, I know I do. And Yellow Submarine, Groovy Kind of Love, Scarborough Fair (am I showing my age?) & several others. I'm definitely improving. Trouble is, I got a keyboard/synthesizer for Christmas & I keep going back & forth from that & the flute. Keyboard is WAY harder because you've got 2 hands to worry about synchronizing.
Horses, flutes & books – what's life without 'em?
bepoq
Tell us something.: I'm just updating my profile. Actually came on to change my signature, which is out of date. I have no idea what 100 characters looks like. Is this enough perhaps?

Post by bepoq »

Has anyone seen the two young percherons up at the Billings farm in VT? (the working historical farm) - dapple blue and lovely - like their gums rubbed.

As far as the balm is concerned, I've been buying beeswax and making my own stuff for a bit now - its a little different every time, but seems to work pretty well.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

About 100 feet behind my house I bulldozed out and had a basement-wall-maker put in a 3 sided wall and built a barn around it into the hill. Behind it I brought a water line in way below ground. I put it in an insulated box on the side of my wall in the vestibule of the barn. There is a lightbulb in the box (water closet). The water closet is closed except when I fill the horses water bucket. So the spickot has a short hose that goes over to the water bucket. The water bucket has a wee heater. The (2) large stalls are like jail in that they have bars in front facing the vestibule. So I just stick the hose through the jail house bars to water.

In the summer I put a chair next to the wall and play my flute. It's cool.
Those professional guys like the ones that teach at Augusta really play fast. I could never play that fast a lot. In Irland and Scotland I never see folks dance that fast. I wonder why thay do it.

Nelson
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

candis bowen wrote: I don't ride much any more; my Morgan has chronic founder from hypothyroidism & we're trying to save her life.
Poor Bunkie. I'm so right there with ya. My old gal's T-4 is 0.2 without supplementation. I've been to hell and back again with her (not to mention near bankruptcy!). But she keeps going!

Have you tried isoxsuprin yet? I've got mine on a regimen of isox, aspirin, and Thyro-L and she's doing great. Got my fingers crossed for the spring ..... it'd be great to skip the Annual Laminitis Attack this year. Oh, please, oh please!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Nelson wrote:About 100 feet behind my house I bulldozed out and had a basement-wall-maker put in a 3 sided wall and built a barn around it into the hill. Behind it I brought a water line in way below ground. I put it in an insulated box on the side of my wall in the vestibule of the barn. There is a lightbulb in the box (water closet). The water closet is closed except when I fill the horses water bucket. So the spickot has a short hose that goes over to the water bucket. The water bucket has a wee heater. The (2) large stalls are like jail in that they have bars in front facing the vestibule. So I just stick the hose through the jail house bars to water.

In the summer I put a chair next to the wall and play my flute. It's cool.
Those professional guys like the ones that teach at Augusta really play fast. I could never play that fast a lot. In Irland and Scotland I never see folks dance that fast. I wonder why thay do it.

Nelson
That does sound cool, Nelson. I miss riding, too. And I miss riding buddies, yeah. I think I rode fewer than 10 times last year. Anybody want a HUGE (and getting huger by the second!) Percheron cross?