Ice Storm

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

My favourite storm horror story happened a few years ago just outside of town, here. It was night and raining so hard that a couple driving home were unable to see past the hood of their car. The wife agreed to get out in the headlights and try to lead her husband driving to ensure the car didn't go off the road into the ditch. They had barely started when a branch came down on the car and instantly killed the husband.

When your number's up ..... :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Walden wrote:Well... power's back off and trees ar falling again. I'm posting this from a battery-powered laptop. Huge limbs have been falling on the roof. The pickup truck got hit by one and bent.
That's bad! We try to avoid leaving the vehicles anywhere too vulnerable, but it just doesn't always work, does it? Is the roof holding up alright? I'll keep you and yours in my prayers, my friend.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Lambchop wrote:You can make a shelter from falling limbs by crouching under overturned furniture or between large appliances. Take a door off its hinges and make a roof, or put a large item of furniture over it (like a sofa). ....

The daughters and a friend put a door across the washer and dryer in the utility closet, then crouched between them. ...
That sounds like a good idea. I never would have thought of that---well, getting under a table yes, but not making a shelter with a door.

Yo, Walden, how's it going?
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

That must be one whopper of a storm. I have an email telling me the school I teach for will be closed today because of it.

And we're completely online. :o
Cotelette d'Agneau
djm

Post by djm »

Phone lines get cold, too. :wink:

I was a bit cheesed. We started with ice pellets yesterday, and then nine hours of freezing rain overnight into this morning, so naturally everything was held up, closed down, or froze. So we get everything cleaned up, thawed out and cleared away, and this evening it starts freezing rain again. Not a good sign. :x

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I'll be praying that all ends soon for you, Walden. You all have been battered enough, I think.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

I was in Mammoth, Ca this last weekend and the lowest it got was -19F. That was the coldest it has been there in 20 years. The skiing was nice though... :)

Question....can you unbend a truck?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

We're on our fifth day of this stuff. The mayor said they may get the electric back on Friday. We were chilled all last night, as the wood we had in the fireplace was not putting out much heat. We went and got some firewood from Grandpa's old place that hopefully burns hotter. The electric pole near our house has fallen down, broke clean in two. All the trees are broken, everywhere around.
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Walden wrote:We're on our fifth day of this stuff. The mayor said they may get the electric back on Friday. We were chilled all last night, as the wood we had in the fireplace was not putting out much heat. We went and got some firewood from Grandpa's old place that hopefully burns hotter. The electric pole near our house has fallen down, broke clean in two. All the trees are broken, everywhere around.
Disastrous. Stay warm! Glad you could get back to us.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

A photo I took in my yard. Image
Reasonable person
Walden
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Glad you checked in Walden. That's some picture. Mother Nature does occasionally get scary.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I'm glad you checked in. Boy, it really looks like it was scary to say the least :o . I hope the worst is over. If you have to get more wood be careful---it sounds like it would be awful dangerous driving around, but I know you can't just sit there and freeze.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

crookedtune wrote:Very sorry to hear that, Walden. We had a balmy 70F in Raleigh, NC, today.
I believe you may have cursed us with that, sir.
Tomorrow is supposed to be our day for ice. Oy.