A pale blue dot...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

A pale blue dot...

Post by Tyler »

http://www.bigskyastroclub.org/pale_blue_dot.htm
"On October 13, 1994, the famous astronomer Carl Sagan was delivering a public lecture at his own university of Cornell. During that lecture, he presented this photo:"
"The photo above was taken by Voyager 1 in 1990 as it sailed away from Earth, more than 4 billion miles in the distance. Having completed it primary mission, Voyager at that time was on its way out of the Solar System, on a trajectory of approximately 32 degrees above the plane of the Solar System. Ground Control issued a command for the distant space craft to turn around and, looking back, take photos of each of the planets it had visited. From Voyager's vast distance, the Earth was captured as a infinitesimal point of light (between the two white tick marks), actually smaller than a single pixel of the photo. The image was taken with a narrow angle camera lens, with the Sun quite close to the field of view. Quite by accident, the Earth was captured in one of the scattered light rays caused by taking the image at an angle so close to the Sun. Dr. Sagan was quite moved by this image of our tiny world. Here is an enlargement of the area around our Pale Blue Dot and an excerpt from the late Dr. Sagan's talk:"
"We succeeded in taking that picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity -- in all this vastness -- there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It's been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known."
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Both the pictures and the story seem to be dead links. I wonder if they got slashdotted...
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

fearfaoin wrote:Both the pictures and the story seem to be dead links. I wonder if they got slashdotted...
They work fine for me. :-?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Maybe your parental controls are in place. You wouldn't want this sort of counter-religious trash to spread, would you? Filthy pictures such as this need to be suppressed! :x

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

jsluder wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:Both the pictures and the story seem to be dead links. I wonder if they got slashdotted...
They work fine for me. :-?
here too...
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

No, they work now. I guess the server was just overtaxed for a few minutes.
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

Ok, I'm not impressed that easily. But this one really got me.

Tomorrow at school, in one class the topic is gonna be "Who or what is man". I just made a hardcopy of this to take it along there.

In the end it's all a question of perspective, isn't it.

Claus (in a state of wonder)
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

You wouldn't want this sort of counter-religious trash to spread, would you?
Some might see it as counter-religious, but I don't.

Wondrous.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
emmline

Post by emmline »

Horton would understand. He heard a Who.
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

cowtime wrote:
You wouldn't want this sort of counter-religious trash to spread, would you?
Some might see it as counter-religious, but I don't.

Wondrous.
I agree with you, cowtime....

This is as opposite as "counter-religious" as possible in my mind. I just find it fascinating that God used that "paleblue dot" to place us on. And to think that he created the rest of the solar system for us marvel at like this. What a fascinating idea..
Mr. Sagan wrote:...To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.
Beautifully said, Mr. Sagan...I, for once, agree with you...
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

thank you for that: we need to be reminded who we are and where we are from time to time. I like Rilke's take on it: the fact that we are here, right now, is so much more amazing and unlkely than any afterlife humans could possibly invent. Be here, now, and you need no other religion.

and let me also plug Tim Flannery's wonderful book "The Weather Makers", which I reviewed briefly here:
http://www.amazon.com/Weather-Makers-Ch ... 34-9643154

the facts lucidly set out, and a wake-up call for all of us. Please read at once (dinner can wait)

b
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Wow... the center of the universe looks so minute in that picture of a highway.
Reasonable person
Walden
djm

Post by djm »

C Sagan wrote:In our obscurity -- in all this vastness -- there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us.
This is enough to get you burned in hell by most Christian and Muslim circles. Thus my reference to "counter-religious trash". Besides being tongue in cheek, I was simply agreeing with him.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

The late Dr. Carl Sagan taught me, many many years ago, to look at the world and its inhabitants in the exact same manner a young boy might look up in awe and wonder at the star filled sky. A great man and a great realist.

And it's true, we all really are "star-stuff".
missy

Post by missy »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:The late Dr. Carl Sagan taught me, many many years ago...............
And he also taught us how to say:
"Billions and billions"!!! :D
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com