Portable Humidifier

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
baghag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Portable Humidifier

Post by baghag »

Several years ago a piper who was a guest performer at an Irish music school I was attending told the audience he used a portable humidifier when he traveled. (He was placing it as he mentioned it.) The gadget was very small and I think he said he got it at Walgreens and it cost about $20 US.

The only one I've been able to find is the Walgreens "Personal Cough & Cold Steam Inhaler". It plugs in, however, which I don't remember with the one I saw -- although he may just have been very slick about setting it up. Also, it warns about hot steam and only runs for 10-15 minutes.

Does anyone else use this, or have a small portable unit to recommend? Once I get up and going a bit I want to try the pipes at the slow/learners portion of a session where I usually play a different instrument. The room can be quite cold, so I'm sure at some point I'll need moisture.

Thanks.
Ruth of Flim-Flam
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

A more low-tech solution that I've seen Mick O'Brien use on several occasions is to take a rag, soak it in water, wring it out well so it's just damp, and position that over the air intake valve in your bellows. That will blow moistened air into your pipes. Be sure the rag's not sopping wet, just damp.

I know at least one pipemaker who looks dimly on that practice, but Mick swears by it.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

bradhurley wrote:
I know at least one pipemaker who looks dimly on that practice, but Mick swears by it.
Water + wood, yeah, not a good idea when you take into consideration the effect that such an arrangement may have on all of the bores of all your tubes... f-all to what it does to the reeds, they're easily replaced. Chanter, Drones and Regulators, these guys take a good long while to replace.

On the other hand, if done carefully and thoughtfully, it might make things work better.... at least for a little while. :boggle:
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Well, as long as you're careful that the rag is not too wet, I don't see how it's all that different from installing a Lifeguard on the soundhole of a guitar or a Damp-it in the soundhole of a violin. The only difference being that you're pumping moistened air into the pipes with the bellows, so it's more active than passive.
No E

Post by No E »

I've seen Eric Rigler put "dampit" guitar humidifiers in both his bellows and bag (he has a bit of fishing line tied to them for easy retrieval). YMMV.

-No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
baghag

Portable Humidifier

Post by baghag »

Wouldn't a damp rag over the air intake a) ruin the wood part of the bellows and b) reduce considerably the amount of air going in?

What are these dampit things, in case I can't find them in my music catalog?
Ruth of Flim-Flam
Joseph E. Smith

bradhurley wrote:Well, as long as you're careful that the rag is not too wet, I don't see how it's all that different from installing a Lifeguard on the soundhole of a guitar or a Damp-it in the soundhole of a violin. The only difference being that you're pumping moistened air into the pipes with the bellows, so it's more active than passive.
The tone chamber of a guitar is a vastly spacious thing. The bore of most, if not all, of the thingies jutting out from a set of Uilleann pipes are not so vast... and it only takes the least bit of variance to throw the whole thing off... but, you knew this already, right?
brianc

Post by brianc »

I once saw Brian McNamara use a humidifier (one of those cold 'n flu season rigs) while piping, though I'm sure it was a one-off situation. I don't think I'd use the kind that produces hot steam.

There are some that produce a cool mist that might work OK, though.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product. ... rod2388856#
KevinCorkery

Post by KevinCorkery »

Dampits are silicone tubes that enclose a bit of sponge. the silicone has holes that allow water to enter the tube and the sponge holds it there. It looks like an eight inch green worm with an oversized washer on one end to prevent it from falling completely into the f-hole of a violin. Water droplets never touch any wood and the instrument is exposed to some humidity, albeit a short time, a day.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

You need one of the super-sonic variedty. These are silent. The ones with fans in make a noise of varying volume which is usually out of tune with the drones :oops: Saw some nice ones on a visit to "Bed Bath & Beyond" recently.

If you aren't travelling with the pipes you are better off trying to get them to work in the environment they (you) live in. If it is an exceptionally dry day... and a one off... just don't play them. Use a hygrometer. RadioShack has em.

Good Luck and all that,

Pat.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Joseph Smith wrote: The tone chamber of a guitar is a vastly spacious thing. The bore of most, if not all, of the thingies jutting out from a set of Uilleann pipes are not so vast... and it only takes the least bit of variance to throw the whole thing off... but, you knew this already, right?
Aye, but take a look at my avatar and ponder that stick there that's made of the same materials as you'll find in the pipes, and then think of the humidity in the air that gets blasted into that thing for hours at a time over decades if not centuries. And it's not like flutes are given a waterproof finish or anything.

I'd be surprised if sticking a damp rag or a wrung-out sponge (which I've seen Mick do too...it lets in more air) would introduce much more water vapor into the pipes than they'd encounter during a humid summer day.
Last edited by bradhurley on Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brianc

Post by brianc »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:You need one of the super-sonic variedty. These are silent. The ones with fans in make a noise of varying volume which is usually out of tune with the drones :oops: Saw some nice ones on a visit to "Bed Bath & Beyond" recently.

If you aren't travelling with the pipes you are better off trying to get them to work in the environment they (you) live in. If it is an exceptionally dry day... and a one off... just don't play them. Use a hygrometer. RadioShack has em.

Good Luck and all that,

Pat.
Agreed re: getting your pipes to work where they live. :wink:

As for ultrasonic, here's one:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product. ... prod395405
KevinCorkery

Post by KevinCorkery »

Image This is a Dampit
Joseph E. Smith

KevinCorkery wrote:Dampits are silicone tubes that enclose a bit of sponge. the silicone has holes that allow water to enter the tube and the sponge holds it there. It looks like an eight inch green worm with an oversized washer on one end to prevent it from falling completely into the f-hole of a violin. Water droplets never touch any wood and the instrument is exposed to some humidity, albeit a short time, a day.
They are a necessity that fiddlers would do well to never be without. I never have nor will ever be.

The UP's are a different beastie altogether. They (the pipes) can live happily within their home humidity (that place where their reeds were built, or they have become acclimated to), but force any more of that wet stuff into them or their bores and they will react by swelling up. Remove that humidity, and they will only relax to the point where they (their wood) are comfortable. Often, this isn't the same size they were prior to swelling.

I strongly urge caution when applying moisture to wooden tubes.
Joseph E. Smith

bradhurley wrote:
Aye, but take a look at my avatar and ponder that stick there that's made of the same materials as you'll find in the pipes, and then think of the humidity in the air that gets blasted into that thing for hours at a time over decades if not centuries. And it's not like flutes are given a waterproof finish or anything.
Yes.

But for the sake of argument, that is but one tube, the Uilleann Pipes are many tubes. I do not think it is wise or reasonable to assume that all tubes will react the same to moisture.

And, lets not forget that the flute is a wet wind instrument, the UP's are a cold wind instrument.