Swedish or Nordic bagpipe forum

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Swedish or Nordic bagpipe forum

Post by MarcusR »

There is a new english forum for Scandinavian piping

Norden Sackpipa Association of the Americas (NSAA)

/MarcusR

edit: updated the link
Last edited by MarcusR on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Marcus' signature wrote:1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d
... Whoa there! Perhaps that's been my problemm all along! :wink:

Cool site, btw. :D
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

I'm just curious, MarcusR;
How many sackpipa players would you guesstimate there are in the US + Canada? :-?
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

CHasR wrote:I'm just curious, MarcusR;
How many sackpipa players would you guesstimate there are in the US + Canada? :-?
Browsing through the forum, there seem to be a few of 'em. Nice site... I especially like the bag demo fro 'Bo'.
MarcusR

Post by MarcusR »

CHasR wrote:I'm just curious, MarcusR;
Hi Chas!
I think Olle Gällmo or Jan W (aka Liraman here on C&F) can give you a more specific approximation but my guess is, that there are more säckpipa players in the US and Canada than there is in Sweden :wink:

During the last years some very skilled pipe makers have started to make "säckpipor" (pluralis) in the US and Canada. Here in Sweden we only have three or maybe four makers. The Swedish Nyckelharpa has had a very strong tradition in the US for a long time (ANA) and it seems like the swedish säckpipa also has a bit of revival right now :)

Cheers!

If you are interested in these pipes "Liraman" or "Olle Gällmo" are the ones to ask for more information.

Here is a good link for Swedish piping

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

wow! :o
Thanks MarcusR :D

Ive been to that link, its very informative.

Glad to hear the instrument is so popular!

Altho Im not thinking of playing sackpipa, :)

I am interested to know if Scandanavian-Americans in the 'Northlands' are picking up on the instrument and welcoming it as a part of Nordic tradition

(primarily because I'm working on that same angle with Italian-Americans & zampogna in the cities here);

Are we hearing 'Sackpipor' at Folk-fests?, Private parties?, Lutheran Hi-Holy days? Weddings? Funerals?

Does one find a steep level of unfamiliarity between the 'target demographic' and the sackpipa? Or is it more of an instantly accessed cultural memory? 8)

are they singing along yet, yaknowaddimean????
Baglady

Post by Baglady »

Here in da middle of Nort America there has been an interest in Nordic music. Dick Hensold dabbled a bit into it but mostly with an over-tone flute. The Nordic tradition here is mostly Missouri Synod Lutherans who discouraged the playing of music and dancing for fun. But there is a bit of a revival. I went to a Nordic evening devotional last year and my Nordic heritage friends were surprised to see a Hardanger fiddler INSIDE the church. That had been forbidden for many, many years.

I myself play a kind of Nordic-Celtic hybrid pipe but I play mostly Irish music because it is so available. And I don’t quite get some of the rhythmic idiosyncrasies of Nordic music. They are fun to hear but not so easy to play. There is a Nordic session about an hour south of here but I haven’t tried that out yet.
Baglady
Put the music under thier feet and lift them to the dance.
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy
Olle Gällmo

Post by Olle Gällmo »

How many sackpipa players would you guesstimate there are in the US + Canada?
I know of at least 28 Swedish bagpipe owners in USA and Canada, many of which also have building experience, and many more who was in the process of buying or building one when I last heard from them. California and Washington (the state) have the greatest number of Swedish pipers, I think.

The NSAA forum is actually a lot more active than the corresponding Swedish forum (at piping.se).
MarcusR

Post by MarcusR »

A polska on Swedish pipes with Olle Gällmo (above) and Stefan Ekedahl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozy9wsniov8

Very nice playing Olle, I enjoyed it very much :)

/M
Olle Gällmo

Post by Olle Gällmo »

Thanks! It's a pity Flash messes up the synchronization of sound and picture, though.
MarcusR

Post by MarcusR »

Someone PM:ed me to let me know that the link was outdated, now fixed :-)

If anyone wants to learn more about Swedish piping and Scandinavian folk music, thats the place to go.

/MarcusR
liraman

Post by liraman »

[quote="MarcusR"]
If anyone wants to learn more about Swedish piping and Scandinavian folk music, thats the place to go.

/MarcusR[/quote]

And now there's a podcast on the subject as well:
As my pilot podcast Nordic drones now has met with the benign approval of the iTunes censorship board (!) I now proudly present it's introduction in the wider realms of the Chiff & Fipple.
The first pilot is dominated by the Swedish bagpipe meeting in Karlstad in january.
It is indeed a trial pilot, to check the technicalities of rss feeds and such. So please bear this in mind if you listen in. All suggestions are most welcome.
How to?:
Get iTunes, go to iTune store and search for Nordic drones. Click the subscribe button (it's free!) and the podcast will be downloaded to your iTunes client program. If you have an iPod you can transfer it for easy listening.

This is a so called enhanced podcast, a hybrid between an audio and a video podcast. There are stills of people I interview (among them our great moderator!) parading in parallel with the audio. Some stills also have links to relevant web pages.

For those who don't want to use iTunes, the Nordic Drones podcasts have a web site of their own:
http://www.tongang.se/Nordic_drones/

You might have to install Quicktime to watch the website podcast though.
Enjoy
The Liraman