Some waltzes for ya...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Some waltzes for ya...

Post by Azalin »

Hello folks,

For the six months or so I have been having a little, private, quiet session on friday nights at my friend's place. For my friends and I, this is the night we are looking forward to during the week. On monday we're dreaming already about our little musical time, over shots of Jameson's, Gin, beer, etc. Unfortunately I'm the least tolerant to alcohol, so I had to cut down a little bit on alcohol if I wanted to be able to play the concertina in a civilized way, although my whistle is always around for when I'm really drunk, six holes is a little bit easier to manage than 30 buttons :-)

Anyway, I recorded a few of those nights, and here's a clip of us playing my favorite waltzes. I really, really do love waltzes, especially the "sad" ones, it really touches me for some reason, and they are somewhat easy to play on the concertina, no rolls, which I can't play for sh^$, involved. The first waltz is american, so I would say it's the only american tune I play, but the other waltzes are played by the irish, although they are certainly not irish of origin. So I hope you enjoy, and I hope it can translate the mood in which this was recorded, and also explain why I love small sessons and can't stand the big crowds anymore.

Here's the clip
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Azalin wrote:play the concertina in a civilized way
Such a comedian you are. Have a drink ... no, seriously, HAVE A DRINK!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

djm wrote:
Azalin wrote:play the concertina in a civilized way
Such a comedian you are. Have a drink ... no, seriously, HAVE A DRINK!

djm
Well, when I said I had to cut down on alcohol, it means I'm drinking half a bottle of something instead of the whole bottle, and a few Bailey's Coffees, so I'm still having a drink ;-)
carrie

Post by carrie »

That's really nice, Az. It does translate the mood of your sessions as you describe them. Very sweet and tender. Thanks for sharing that. (I love waltzes too.)

Carol
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Those really are the best sessions. I may have to try starting one up at my house. Save me driving around intoxicated as well. Nice to listen to. The guitar player really knew the tunes, too. I added the mp3 to my iTunes, hence to the ipod. Thanks, dude.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Nice, Az. What were the waltzes? And the keys, if you wouldn't mind.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Thanks folks, it's really appreciated, although I swear I was not fishing for compliments! Anyway, the first tune is in "D", it's an american tune composed for a wedding methink, the second one is in "G" but has a nice Eb in there, which makes the tune so cool, and the third tune is in A maj, thus the G#. It's a very well known waltz in "ITM" but the name escpapes me.... I had a few beers tonight... but it has a woman's name, that I'm sure of :-)

Telling you what. Next time I fall in love, if I ever do, I'll actually dance those waltzes with her, instead of playing them. I promise :-)
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

I enjoyed listening to your recording. Thanks!

-Casey
Life is good.
Alcona

Post by Alcona »

That first waltz is called Jim and Judy's Wedding. I love that one and play it often on whistle.
Birthdays are good for you;
the more you have,
the longer you live.
http://www.pbase.com/ejcsnapdragon
http://www.pbase.com/hamishcraig/jills_pics2
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I believe the second is Jean's Waltz.

Nicely done, indeed.

Another lovely waltz is New South Waltz.

Wonder if people can suggest others?

Favorite Things is a waltz.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

I do miss those moments in my session. Everybody wants to reel only.

I enjoyed especially the second one. Thanks for sharing.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

That was a lovely clip, Azalin.

Aye, I like a waltz. I've been playing Sommervals, by Ale Moller for this long time. And the Red Bull Waltz by Kathryn Tickell. And the "Drop Dead" Waltz, ditto and "Roly Gentle" ditto.

You have no idea how encouraging it is to hear you say the alcohol affects your playing. One glass of wine and my fingers turn to putty. For ages I have considered that the difference between a "serious" musician and a "recreational" musician is that a "serious" musician can still play (well) after taking on liquour. Perhaps that's just envy, or wishful thinking.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

jim stone wrote:Wonder if people can suggest others?
Aaron Boat is a popular one at our house. I can't figure out how to spell the other waltzes we play...

-Casey
Life is good.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

My ABC versions of Miss Francis Power and Planxty Hewlett have them both as waltzes.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Lovely, Azalin! There's nothing quite like the intimacy of a homemade tape made by a group of friends.

I'm fairly new to ITM, but play a lot of southern American (oldtime) music on various instruments. There are some great waltzes played here in NC, most of which probably have roots in the British Isles. Some of my favorites are:

Young Jane
Evening Star Waltz
Shepherd's Wife Waltz
Blackest Crow
Pretty Little Ponies
Cowboy Waltz

Thanks for posting the clip!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde