Greetings

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cfrederi
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Greetings

Post by cfrederi »

Hi all

I introduced myself in another thread, but shadeclan suggested that I create a thread to introduce myself, so here goes....

My name is Charlotte and I live in Copenhagen, Denmark. I have always liked Irish music, but I have never done anything about it until a year ago, when I bought a concertina and started torturing that poor thing. Some time ago, however I heard a tune played on pennywhistle, and an urge to learn to play the whistle started to grow in me, so last saturday I got a Dixon high D. I hope to find the time to play both instruments, for the time being though it is the whistle that has to bear the brunt of my efforts.

At the moment I'm struggling with the high octave, but I understand it's a matter of time and suddenly I'll get it, so I'll just press on...

On this site I have already found loads of info and some good links. I have ordered the "Mad for Trad CD rom tutorial", so there should be enough to keep me going for a long time.

Apart from the concertina I have no musical background, so it will be a long journey, but I hope it will be an enjoyable one!
shadeclan

Re: Greetings

Post by shadeclan »

Welcome to the forum!
cfrederi wrote: . . . Some time ago, however I heard a tune played on pennywhistle, and an urge to learn to play the whistle started to grow in me, so last saturday I got a Dixon high D. . .
I think that many people started out that way. I, personally, am embarrassed to admit that my own interest in the whistle began with a liking of ITM since I can't remember when, combined with the musical efforts of a certain starship captain . . . :oops:

cfrederi wrote: At the moment I'm struggling with the high octave, but I understand it's a matter of time and suddenly I'll get it, so I'll just press on...

On this site I have already found loads of info and some good links. I have ordered the "Mad for Trad CD rom tutorial", so there should be enough to keep me going for a long time.
You may also want to get some CDs by Joanie Madden or Mary Bergen - both come highly recommended and will give you an idea of what is possible with a whistle.

Also, check out Whistle This where you will find much help and materials in learning various ITM tunes.

cfrederi wrote: Apart from the concertina I have no musical background, so it will be a long journey, but I hope it will be an enjoyable one!
I also have no musical background (3 years of resisting piano lessons notwithstanding) but I have enjoyed learning whistle, although I get beat up on the forums from time to time. Can't say that I've progressed much past beginner in the year that I've been practicing - hopefully because I don't practice as much as I should.

Just keep practicing. Don't give up and don't stop coming to the forum. There is something about the forum that just keeps you going. . .

Good luck to you!
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
pjuuldk

Post by pjuuldk »

Hi Charlotte, once again welcome.

This time in English :thumbsup:

Peter
kaitlyn

Post by kaitlyn »

Welcome!
As a newbie whistler, I have really enjoyed the forum. It is indeed a wealth of knowledge!
kaitlyn

Post by kaitlyn »

Also, Joanie Madden is such an inspiration-she comes highly recommended!!! :)
bdh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I caught the trad bug listening to Liam O'Flynn. Started on whistle, then moved to pipes. Tricky Basmatis, but I love 'em.

Post by bdh »

Hi Charlotte,

I posted these links in another newbie thread, but thought you might find them useful and so have posted them again here.

Tunes

http://www.thesession.org/
The Session: a searchable database and forum for exchanging traditional (more or less) Irish tunes. Free to join and use, and tunes are available in standard notation and ABC format as well as MIDI. Tunes come with "comments" which are usually very useful and offer variations.

http://tunedb.woodenflute.com/
Similar to The Session, but smaller and without the forums.

Tutors

http://www.whistletutor.com/
WhistleTutor.com, "focuses on teaching Irish traditional music on the tin whistle." Offers beginner through advanced tutorials, and sports video clips in Flash, RealVideo, and Windows Media.

http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... index.html
Brother Steve's Tin-Whistle Pages aim "to help learners improve their understanding of Irish music and ways of playing it on this humble - but wonderful - little instrument". Loads of information on a variety of topics from breathing through to advanced ornamentation. Music is shown in standard notation, not ABC, and sound samples are in mp3 format.

http://www.whistleworkshop.co.uk/
Similar to WhistleTutor.com and Brother Steve's. The "Instruction" section includes lessons on the different kinds of Irish music, cross-fingering, ornamentation, and phrasing. Music is in regular notation, not ABC, and sound samples are usually in mp3.

http://kerrywhistles.com/
Kerrywhistles is the home of Phil Hardy, maker of Chieftain and Kerry whistles. There's a Movies section on the site which offers a selection of Tutorial videos in Windows Media format. Phil also hosts some of his private stash of footage from gigs (e.g. Flook, Mike McGoldrick, Lunasa, etc) which are wonderful and provide great inspiration.

It's important to take some grains of salt with you as you venture through these resources: there is no set method to learning an instrument, and the whistle is no different. The way site #1 suggests doing a crann might differ from site #2. Feel free to experiment and find what works for (and sounds good to) you.

Keep working on the higher octave – don't be afraid to push the whistle (with more air). If you're holding back because you're worried about making too much noise, there are some softer whistles out there. It's a matter of experimenting.

You'll find that members are often forced to cull their collections (usually either the result of angry spouses or having to save up for more expensive whistles) and you can get some real bargains quite cheaply. In my short time here I've found the folks at C&F to be friendly and very generous.

Enjoy yourself, and watch out for WhOA!
Brett.
"It isn't etiquette to cut any one you've been introduced to. Remove the joint." ~ Lewis Carroll
cfrederi

Post by cfrederi »

Thanks all!

I'll check out the links and the CD suggestions!

WhOA - Oh Oh! what are the symptoms to look out for?
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

WhOA - Oh Oh! what are the symptoms to look out for?[/quote]

First syptoms can include:

A sudden interest in the Other Woodwinds category of eBay, hours spent online on sites that sell anything remotely related to the whistle, accompanied by drool stains on computer desk and shirt and rationalizations of how you really can afford that one...and that one....oooh I GOTTA have THAT one.

When the number of whistles you own begins to rival or exceed the number of tunes you can play the affliction has fully set in...you're doomed. At which point we'll all be smiling and saying...

Bwahahahaha!...welcome, sister, to our world!
cfrederi

Post by cfrederi »

Hi all!

Just wanted to say that I have got the CD's with Joanie Madden (songs of the Irish whistle 1&2) and Mary Bergin (Feadoga Stain) as recommended in this thread. mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Welcome!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
rhulsey

greetings

Post by rhulsey »

yes, greetings.

And, please do not underestimate the power of the "WhOA" that they speak of here...

reggie
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Yes, welcome. It's great fun and this place has a wealth of knowledge.

Reggie, I notice you are in east TN. Hey to a fellow Appalachian. (sw VA here)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

cfrederi and rhulsey both - Welcome!!!

anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

anniemcu wrote:cfrederi and rhulsey both - Welcome!!!

Why thanks, anniemcu - does your friend still have that beautiful little weasel?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

hello Charlotte and welcome to the board!
The whistle is probably the best instrument to start learning irish music. Keep it going. Good luck!