What is your definition of “intermediate”?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

Screeeech!!! wrote: Someone without natural groove ability is not going to sound like someone with natural groove ability no matter how much they try, it will always sound put-on.

this had me cracking up.

We were practicing at church, and one of the musicians said:
"Look, I know we are all white folks. But we're singing a spiritual. Is there SOME way we can sing this so we don't sound like white folks trying to sing a spiritual????"
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

colomon wrote:Thank you for your vote of confidence.
I honestly and truly did not mean that as a slight, in any way shape or form - only use that in an effort to establish some point of reference, with regards to the conversation at hand, and I would never have made the comment without you first putting yourself out there, which I hope you can understand.
I think you may be seeing location bias here. I haven't been to Boston, but I know I'm diddly-squat compared to the musicians at, say, John William's session in Chicago. At the same time, I've been to several sessions in Michigan where I was pretty clearly the best whistle player present. There are a lot of players out there who can barely hold a tune together once through at tempo, forget the nuances.
It may very well be that location has much to do with it, and I can't claim to know what the "average" U.S. sounds like, if there is such a thing, all I can do is go by the sessions I've attended. Certainly you'd be in the top 1-5% at a session in Tampa, unless things have changed significantly since I left, however you'd be in the lower 50% in Boulder, Asheville and Boston, as would I, I fear.

However, in those places, more often then not, it seems those who can can "barely hold a tune together once through at tempo, forget the nuances" have the good sense to listen, rather than attempt to play. Which is what I end up doing, most of the time, when I go to sessions here in Boston. :lol:

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

missy wrote: We were practicing at church, and one of the musicians said:
"Look, I know we are all white folks. But we're singing a spiritual. Is there SOME way we can sing this so we don't sound like white folks trying to sing a spiritual????"

:lol:

Loren
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Three observations.

1) A couple of years ago I would have classed myself as an "intermediate level" player.

2) I'm better technically (and know more tunes) than I did two years ago.

3) I hear a *lot* more things that need to improve in my playing than I did two years back.

These days, I'd rank myself as "advanced beginning level" at best. I'm actually fairly decent - not great, but decent - at technical proficiency and knowledge of tunes. But that "knowledge of how the music *should* sound" thing is still kicking my tail.

I listen to recordings (my MP3 player is full of traditional music - big help). When work allows (or when on my computer at home) I can listen to the best. But I'm at the point when I can (usually) *hear* the correct swing and lift, but I can't always *play* with decent swing and lift.

I can even hear it (or not) in my own playing, but getting my fingers and breath to coordinate with what I *want* to hear is an ongoing process. I can play a piece through one time, and it *sounds* like a jig, or a slip jig, or a reel - then I play it again and it sounds like it was played by a robot, or I get the rhythm right but I loose track of my fingers and crash halfway through.

So it's an ongoing process. These days, I play mostly flute - whistle is reserved for times/places when I don't have the flute along (sitting at a red light in traffic, etc) or when my embouchure gives out. And I've found that having to concentrate on the basics of embouchure and breathing again has really helped my playing - once you've got the basics of whistle down it's easy to concentrate on speed and more speed to the exclusion of all else. But I'm not at the stage where I *can* play the flute that fast - so I can pay more attention to what I'm hearing (or not) in my playing.

I'd guess that most players from Ireland *are* better than I am. That's likely true for experienced players anywhere else, too. But as long as I *don't* think I'm perfect, and listen, and work on improving I can hope to get better. Who knows - someday I may be throughly mediocre by Irish standards. :twisted:
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

The main thing I'm getting from this is that I don't feel a bit bad anymore about how long it's taken me to get to the piddly little level I'm at, but at the same time I'm worried that I'll never really get as good as I'd like. And I'm not shooting for the stars.

Thanks everyone for a great discussion.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

colomon wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:It should have been an ear-opening experience. Your story is an illustration of the fact that the Music cannot be learned from a book. If you had learned Dennis Murphy's slide by ear 7 years ago, you would have been able to play it then. It's not harder to play the right way than it is to play the wrong way. People would not find it the music difficult to learn if they didn't think that as beginners they understand how the music should or can be learned. If all the good ITM players say "learn by ear" there's probably a reason for it. (This is a general point, and not addressed to you Sol.)
I think you're missing the point a bit here. If I had learned by ear from this particular recording I would have been a lot better off. But at that point in time, my collection of recordings had few, if any, properly done recordings of slides, and all but perhaps one person I knew played them incorrectly. And I had no way of knowing which players and recordings were right and which were wrong. When I played slides wrongly, it fit in perfectly with all the players I played with every week.
My point was of course that you'd be listening the right stuff. Like learning by ear from MIDI files is not going get you anywhere, on the contrary (we've heard it before on C&F, too). My point is that the instrument isn't hard to learn if you know the Music. If you don't know the Music, the challenge becomes to learn the music as you learn the instrument for which you need three things: (1) guidance as to what to listen to, and what not; (2) the will to learn by ear; and (3) exposure to people who have the Music. If you have those three things and the curiosity to use them, I don't think it's that hard or impossible to learn the music decently (mastery is another thing, of course). I very much doubt that someone coudl learn by ear from good recordings (commercial or kitchen) and go far wrong stylistically.
Loren wrote: There's no reason the visual arts examples shouldn't apply, as it's a matter of brain function - the brain filtering and altering info being fed from the senses, and there's lot's of research out there to prove this.
I don't know the research, but I doubt this undermines what I just said. And I think the example you gave before of people trying to draw an eye and instead drawing symbol of an eye isn't a good comparison. A better comparison would be that you gave someone a series of carricatures by one artist to copy but no instruction book on how to draw carricatures. It would take that person a while to acquire control over pencil and brush enough to be able to do a convincing carricature technically; but if they learned only by learning from carricatures by one artist, their style would match that artist's style.

I think it's the same thing with learning the Music: If you learn by doing from the right models, ear to fingers, without crutches like notation or midi files or tabulature, you can't end up far off mark stylistically. And it's not that hard, either.
/Bloomfield
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

FJohnSharp wrote:The main thing I'm getting from this is that I don't feel a bit bad anymore about how long it's taken me to get to the piddly little level I'm at, but at the same time I'm worried that I'll never really get as good as I'd like. And I'm not shooting for the stars.
I regret that people are getting the sense that they can never be as good as they would like to be. I hope my last post makes it clear that I don't think you have to be born & bred in Ireland or be a wunderkind* in order to learn to play the music decently: enough to get toes tapping, and engage & delight a listener, and play with others who are proficient in the music. It won't happen over night, but there is no arcane magic to it. The journey is great fun and doable and you meet fantastic people along the way if you do it right.

* both the native Irish steeped in the music and the wunderkind may however be able to go places we can't reach, ultimately; but that's a different point.
/Bloomfield
Denny

Post by Denny »

Bloomfield wrote:I regret that people are getting the sense that they can never be as good as they would like to be.
I've been as good as I'd like to be years earlier...but never as good as I'd like to be now.

sorry :oops:

It helps if you don't keep moving the target, eh?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Group I)
Around people that don't know the music.
Sub set,
A)If people throw eggs and insults. You are a beginner.
B)If people throw compliments and money. You are an expert.
C)If you are in the middle of both, you are an intermediate player.
D)If neither happen, you are either playing quietly or bashful.

Group II)
If on the other hand you are near your peers,
Sub set,
A)If you play a tune and people ask “what was that?” You are a beginner.
B)If you play a tune and they say “that is coming along” You are an intermediate player.
C)If you play a tune and they say “Um, wow,that was beautiful, how did you do that?” You are an expert.

If Group I subset A and group II subset C you may be playing the fife.
If Group I subset D and group II subset C you may be playing something Baroque.

All of it is context.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Bloomfield wrote: The journey is great fun and doable and you meet fantastic people along the way if you do it right.
Well, see, this is the thing I've learned. The journey is great fun and I have met great people, and wherever the music takes me, I'll glady follow.

Suburban Symphony
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

Bloomfield wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:The main thing I'm getting from this is that I don't feel a bit bad anymore about how long it's taken me to get to the piddly little level I'm at, but at the same time I'm worried that I'll never really get as good as I'd like. And I'm not shooting for the stars.
I regret that people are getting the sense that they can never be as good as they would like to be. I hope my last post makes it clear that I don't think you have to be born & bred in Ireland or be a wunderkind* in order to learn to play the music decently: enough to get toes tapping, and engage & delight a listener, and play with others who are proficient in the music. It won't happen over night, but there is no arcane magic to it. The journey is great fun and doable and you meet fantastic people along the way if you do it right.

* both the native Irish steeped in the music and the wunderkind may however be able to go places we can't reach, ultimately; but that's a different point.
Worried was too strong a word. There is a yearning to get better and I want to fill it.

Suburban Symphony
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Bloomfield wrote:I don't know the research, but I doubt this undermines what I just said. And I think the example you gave before of people trying to draw an eye and instead drawing symbol of an eye isn't a good comparison. A better comparison would be that you gave someone a series of carricatures by one artist to copy but no instruction book on how to draw carricatures. It would take that person a while to acquire control over pencil and brush enough to be able to do a convincing carricature technically; but if they learned only by learning from carricatures by one artist, their style would match that artist's style.

I think it's the same thing with learning the Music: If you learn by doing from the right models, ear to fingers, without crutches like notation or midi files or tabulature, you can't end up far off mark stylistically. And it's not that hard, either.
Nah, I gave just one example, for the sake of time and simplicity, here's another: You can give a bunch of people several relatively simple Picasso line drawings, for example, and ask them to do their best to copy them. The results will typically be poor. However, when you ask those same folks, to copy turn the drawings upsidedown, and then copy them, the results are startling close to the original Picassos. The brain does not "see" the drawing as such, and thus it does not interpret by overlaying it's preformed "knowledge" onto what is actually there. So, without the brain's interference, the person doing the drawing can actually see and reproduce what is actually there much better. This is why forgers most often copy signatures upside down.

I understand your resistance to the idea that this applies to learning music, but I have little doubt if you read the material, tried some of the exercises your self, saw the results, and gave it all some thought, that you'd likely agree.

Loren
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Shoot for the stars, mon. A few years ago I said on the flute board that my eventual goal was to be a good intermediate-level player. Someone asked why I was limiting my goals. I said I didn't have the time, motivation, etc. Then I got the bug. Honestly I am playing better now than was my goal three years ago. Would I consider myself a good intermediate-level player? Intermediate, yeah, but as has been said, the better I become, the more I see my shortcomings. But as I said, I'm so far beyond where I expected to be, it's just so cool. I owe the guy on the flute board a lot for opening my eyes.

Go for it, John.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
BoneQuint
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BoneQuint »

I'm an intermediate player, I think, weak in consistency and repetoire especially. When I hear a solid player, it's obvious how much I have to work on. And those players listen to pros, and think the same thing. The best players listen to their imaginations, and think the same thing.

Here's a practice recording I made today: Kitty Lie Over. And that's the best take out of a few dozen. Sigh.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

BoneQuint wrote: Here's a practice recording I made today: Kitty Lie Over. And that's the best take out of a few dozen. Sigh.
Coming along! :) B part is nice. A little more jig feeling (with perhaps strategic use of tonguing in the A part) and a bit more weight on the big downbeats. Rolls are almost there, could be a bit blippier. That cut on B could be a little crisper, too. :) Think of the words when playing it and try to bring out the phrasing, esp. the breaks between phrases.

What would you do/
If the kettle boiled over/
What would I do/
Only fill it again

What would you do/
If the cow ate the clover/
What would I do/
Only fill it again

etc etc.
/Bloomfield