Jupiter Prodigy.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
C age ing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Jupiter Prodigy.

Post by C age ing »

Has anyone any experience of the Jupiter Prodigy Flute. It is not for ITM but for Morris as I'm finding the clash between C foot Böhm and keyless D fingering confusing. As the Prodigy has a bell note of D this might cure the problem, as it is likely to be less finicky in mouth/flute relationship during parades and, importantly, louder.
Advice please
Played banjo as it only had five strings, so how the hell am I going to cope with six holes?
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Jupiter wrote:This flute is designed especially for very small players.
Curved headjoint too. It's the same fingering as a standard Boehm, the only bit that's missing is the C footjoint, so you'll still have to re-learn the F# and C-nat fingering (or thumbing, in the case of C-nat). The clash will still be there.

Doesn't look like they make one with a straight headjoint though.

Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
C age ing

Post by C age ing »

Thanks for the input.
Played banjo as it only had five strings, so how the hell am I going to cope with six holes?
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

I've heard Jupiter flutes don't hold up very long. A friend's daughter had one that lasted about a year. They then replaced it with a Yamaha. Better choice.

Jeanie
Bart Wijnen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Bart Wijnen »

Hoovorff wrote:I've heard Jupiter flutes don't hold up very long. A friend's daughter had one that lasted about a year. They then replaced it with a Yamaha. Better choice.

Jeanie
Can confirm this. I strongly advise new pupils to buy Yamaha, easy to blow, solid as a rock and they keep their value much longer in case one wants to sell the flute again.

Bart
springrobin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

I agree that a Yamaha is a good instrument. As for the extra keys, you have to touch the C, C# & B keys with the last finger to get those notes so although it may be called a "C" flute, if you ignore those keys, it acts a lot like like a "D".
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

springrobin wrote:I agree that a Yamaha is a good instrument. As for the extra keys, you have to touch the C, C# & B keys with the last finger to get those notes so although it may be called a "C" flute, if you ignore those keys, it acts a lot like like a "D".
:-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

Looks like I'm starting to stutter.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

From what I've seen as a band teacher, Jupiters don't hold up quite as well as Yamahas, but they're OK if treated well. I've never tried the Prodigy ('though I like the concept), but the last Jup. my school bought has held up well, with only $25 of adjustment in 2 years.

I just teach that all instruments get treated like they're made out of glass. No problems.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Hoovorff wrote:I've heard Jupiter flutes don't hold up very long. A friend's daughter had one that lasted about a year. They then replaced it with a Yamaha. Better choice.

Jeanie
I'd disagree based on my experiences.... I've had a Jupiter for over 6 years now, and it's never needed a thing. However, that being said, Yamaha does make a fine flute, and I'd agree it's probably a great starter.

Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."