Your official "Celtic Woman" gripe site

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dwinterfield »

Nanohedron wrote:I can tell you that when someone says to me, "Oh! You play Irish music! Have you seen 'Celtic Woman', then?", my reply has been, "Um...no, but that's not the music I play."
Suggested response is to smile, sweetly of course, and say "That's nice". Explaining won't help.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Well, they do play Caledonia which is about...uh....never mind....
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
djm

Post by djm »

I only lasted about three seconds into Scarborough Fair, I'm afraid. Perhaps I was ... um ... yes, yes, that's it! I was overwhelmed by the artistry, the brilliance, the sheer celtistry of the moment, as it were ... or maybe not.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

You guys are just upset because you can't have one of them.
Cotelette d'Agneau
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Lorenzo wrote:Ah, The Weekenders, I've watched the last several shows. I like them, and I'm deeply dyed in the traditional wool. Máiréad, the fiddle player, does dance around a lot, but it's tailored for a certain audience. She does traditional stuff as well or better than most. I remember watching her do the Contradiction Reel last year. I'll bet your favorite trad Irish fiddler can't do that at the same time!

Anyone notice the audience. They're all professors, lawyers, and librarians! :boggle:
C'mon, the Contradicton Reel can't be Irish, so why would an Irish fiddler want to play it? :P When I saw the show, I wouldn't describe anything I saw as traditional.

My impression of the audience was that they were all either over 80 years old, or else the performers' relatives.

J.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

dwinterfield wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I can tell you that when someone says to me, "Oh! You play Irish music! Have you seen 'Celtic Woman', then?", my reply has been, "Um...no, but that's not the music I play."
Suggested response is to smile, sweetly of course, and say "That's nice". Explaining won't help.
I've considered that, but I always want to honor the other's intelligence. I think I must enjoy suffering, somehow. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

djm wrote:I only lasted about three seconds into Scarborough Fair, I'm afraid. Perhaps I was ... um ... yes, yes, that's it! I was overwhelmed by the artistry, the brilliance, the sheer celtistry of the moment, as it were ... or maybe not.

djm
Thanks Deej, I forgot about that particular moment. My remote thumb twitched but the other Weekender happens to like that song. Yeah, Paul Simon completely changing an old folksong.... now thatsa Celticy.

I will say, after all the grouching, that they have very pure voices and are very in-tune in the lush vocal arrangements. They set a high standard in that department. But I'll take Mary, Dolores or the sisters (Triona and Mair?) any day....The sisters singing "Spanish Lady" gives me goosebumps everytime...THAT is Woman-force. They shoulda called the show Celtic Maidens or something, they're not quite grown up...
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

feadogin wrote:C'mon, the Contradicton Reel can't be Irish, so why would an Irish fiddler want to play it? :P When I saw the show, I wouldn't describe anything I saw as traditional.
Ah c'mon, J. Every serious trad musician plays that reel. And psssst...I meant she plays trad stuff really well in her other, non-Celtic Women life. All this stuff on the set is for that particular audience. It sells the best, you know, Danny Boy and all that. The audience would have been stunned into silence if they'd done something like Fionnghuala.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

gonzo914 wrote:And Meav can sing "Danny Boy" as if she's never sung it before.
You meant that as a compliment, I take it?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Nanohedron wrote:
Nyuk.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Nanohedron wrote:
This is by her own admission.

From the Méav page on their website--
Some of the songs that Méav sings in the show are standards, such as ‘Danny Boy’. It can be challenging to perform these standards in a new way. “You have to sing it as if you’ve never sung it before . . . . . ,” Méav explains.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

gonzo914 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:

Some of the songs that Méav sings in the show are standards, such as ‘Danny Boy’. It can be challenging to perform these standards in a new way. “You have to sing it as if you’ve never sung it before . . . . . ,” Méav explains.
I've been pummeled with that tired old chestnut all too many's the time, thank you. I aver that the only way to perform a tune or song is as if it's the last time you'll ever do it. You know, as if the gallows is waiting, or something.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Lambchop wrote:You guys are just upset because you can't have one of them.
Hardly. gonzo much prefers to associate with women who are old enough to have voted at least once, preferably multiple times.

And fluffier, too.

gonzo was merely engaging in that time-honored American pastime of making fun of something about which he knows nothing. Was it not Tommy Smothers who said "I'm an American. I don't have to know about something to not like it"?
Last edited by gonzo914 on Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And yellow fringe
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Nanohedron wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: You meant that as a compliment, I take it?

I've been pummeled with that tired old chestnut all too many's the time, thank you. I aver that the only way to perform a tune or song is as if it's the last time you'll ever do it. You know, as if the gallows is waiting, or something.
Wow -- A chance to sneak two Smothers Brothers quotes into the same thread --
Hangman, hangman, slack your rope.
Hangman, hangman, slack your rope.
Slack it for a <gaackk>

It was the last song he ever wrote.
And yellow fringe
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

gonzo914 wrote:
Lambchop wrote:You guys are just upset because you can't have one of them.
Hardly. gonzo much prefers to associate with women who are old enough to have voted at least once, preferably multiple times.

And fluffier.

gonzo was merely engaging in that time-honored American pastime of making fun of something about which he knows nothing. Was it not Tommy Smothers who said "I'm an American. I don't have to know about something to not like it"?
Nyuk. Well, I didn't just put it out there, but I do find the older proven Celtic women singers to be much more sexy when they deliver said goosebumps to the Weekender's psyche than those little Clearasil models. Unlike Bill Clinton, my minimum age lust requirement goes up every year as I travel life's highway. Girls that young tend to be considered more as possible future daughters-in-law for the Weekenders' handsome sons....