The Clarke Sweetone

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mike.r
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mike.r »

Sweetone is THE most amazing whistle ever made.And the fipple!well..I tell ya,tis the shining jewell in whistledoms crown..designed by a prominent whistlemaker no less.Tuning problems?Why,these babies are so accurate its scarry, no doubt due to the meticulous fine tuning by skilled artisans.Not only that,they are available in two keys..I,ll repeat that, TWO KEYS,and...hygenically sealed against lip herpes so you cant play one in the shop untill you BUY IT!No problem though..you,ll love it so much you,ll be back for ANOTHER COLOUR! :wink: Mike
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-10-01 11:33, Chuck_Clark wrote:

Well, Copeland does. Unfortunatlely, the Copeland is to the Clarke as a custom built Ferrari is to a basic Hyundai, pricewise. Even without the waiting period, most of us can't or won't spend the money to obtain one.
Actually, when I checked the Copeland site a couple of weeks ago, he had five brass high D whistles sitting there waiting for buyers. I think he has finally priced himself out of the market, with folks like Burke and Hoover making great products for less than half what Copeland charges.
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

The sweetone is an nice, all round whistle . . . it's easy to play and doesn't damage easily . . . although I haven't tried to break mine. Good finish, looks almost new.
Come on, people! They're only eight bucks! I've definatly gotten eight dollars worth of playing out of it. Maybe more!
jimr

Post by jimr »

On 2002-10-01 17:44, blackhawk wrote:
On 2002-10-01 11:33, Chuck_Clark wrote:

Well, Copeland does. Unfortunatlely, the Copeland is to the Clarke as a custom built Ferrari is to a basic Hyundai, pricewise. Even without the waiting period, most of us can't or won't spend the money to obtain one.
Actually, when I checked the Copeland site a couple of weeks ago, he had five brass high D whistles sitting there waiting for buyers. I think he has finally priced himself out of the market, with folks like Burke and Hoover making great products for less than half what Copeland charges.
Haven't checked lately have you. Gone!
Jim
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Hee, hee, hee, hee, hee. Image
Reasonable person
Walden
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2002-10-01 17:44, blackhawk wrote:
I think he has finally priced himself out of the market, with folks like Burke and Hoover making great products for less than half what Copeland charges.

People say some of the strangest things around here......

Can't agree with you my friend (and Blackhawk is a friend, still loving that O'Briain btw): There are other whistles out there that cost less than Copelands, but none that sound the same, and a really good Copeland is virtually impossible to beat - match yes, beat, no. I had a Nickel C (since sold I'm sorry to say) that was perhaps the finest soprano whistle I've ever played, I kid you not. Well worth every penny and then some.

Now, I've gotta be honest and say that back when I was still buying them a year or two ago, not every Copeland came out of the shop sounding it's best, and that may or may not have changed. However, Mike and Jim are capable of turning out some of the most beautiful sounding and looking whistles on the planet, whistles which (at their best) are, IMO well worth every penny, and rivaled by few.

This is way there is still a plenty of demand for Copeland whistles, as far as I can tell, and I seriously doubt you're going to see that change any time soon; Heck, they're expanding the line and seem to have no problem selling the even more expensive Silver models. (Homer voice and Drooling: Sterling Copeland Low D, Ahhhhh......)

Nope, Gotta say I think you're off target on this one Blackhawk.

Loren
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-10-01 19:59, Loren wrote:

Nope, Gotta say I think you're off target on this one Blackhawk.

Loren
Did I mention that the only time I open my mouth is to change feet? Yup, you are right, they are gone.

On the other subject, it does my heart good to know you're enjoying the O'Briain, my friend!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

It has long been rumored, preached, believed, or accepted that Copeland designed the Sweetone mouthpiece. However, a visit to the Clarke website's FAQ explains that the mouthpiece was designed by Clarke and improved by Copeland.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I bought a sweetone after seeing several posts on here praising it. I gave it away to a guy at church who was intrested in learning to play whistle. Yes it played in tune, but, like several others on here, I did not like the way it sounds.
jimr

Post by jimr »

On 2002-10-01 21:32, Micah wrote:
It has long been rumored, preached, believed, or accepted that Copeland designed the Sweetone mouthpiece. However, a visit to the Clarke website's FAQ explains that the mouthpiece was designed by Clarke and improved by Copeland.
I can stand behind that the fact that Clarke "original" Sweetone mouth-piece played quite badly. We still have it in the shop.

One big issue was the approach was to have the fipple as a 'male' tenon, fitting inside the body and looked very sleek, but the whistle barely blew, let alone had a sweet tone.

Three major changes were made: external flange fitting over the body, labium (blade) was reshaped, and windway/airway changed.

"and that's the truth".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jimr on 2002-10-01 22:19 ]</font>
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

On 2002-10-01 19:59, Loren wrote:
There are other whistles out there that cost less than Copelands, but none that sound the same, and a really good Copeland is virtually impossible to beat - match yes, beat, no.
As with this whole thread, Loren, it's all perception. Of course, none sound the same, but to the ears of some, it's quite possible to beat the sound of a Copeland. I will be the first to admit that I've only played one Copeland (a D). Side-by-side, a Water Weasel beat it hands down. And IMHO the Burke WBB you sold me can be equalled but not beat. But it's all personal, I would never say that a WW is better than a Copeland, just that I like it better.

I would like someday to get a Copeland low-D, but there are quite a few whistles that I want to get before even ordering one. I really have no interest in a Copeland high whistle.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-10-01 19:38, Walden wrote:
Hee, hee, hee, hee, hee. Image
You're enjoying this entirely TOO much, Walden! :lol:
Sean

Post by Sean »

On 2002-10-01 22:17, jimr wrote:
"and that's the truth".
So I sat down w/ my Sweetone 'n my Original (yes w/ yucky diamonds)
and contrary to my expectations they sound identical.
I would have sworn that my original was better than the Sweetone. I played them not one after the other, but at the same time (Tabor Pipe) and had an incredibly hard time distinguishing one from the other.
Considering I just posted a thread on "Celtic Whistle"s I may be inclined to re-think my opinion of what sounds to be a very "sweet" whistle (ie chiffless as per the other thread) in comparison to it's predescessor.
Sean the Heretic
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

On 2002-10-01 22:17, jimr wrote:
On 2002-10-01 21:32, Micah wrote:
I can stand behind that the fact that Clarke "original" Sweetone mouth-piece played quite badly. We still have it in the shop.

One big issue was the approach was to have the fipple as a 'male' tenon, fitting inside the body and looked very sleek, but the whistle barely blew, let alone had a sweet tone.

Three major changes were made: external flange fitting over the body, labium (blade) was reshaped, and windway/airway changed.

"and that's the truth".

I,d be very interested to know if the original prototype S/T Copeland improved fipple is still in existence,what material was used and whether it actualy adorned something other than a Clarkes body during the developement stage. Thanks. :smile:Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mike.r on 2002-10-02 02:53 ]</font>
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

People who don't like Sweetones are intolerant, narrow minded and mean spirited snobs.
Yeah, that's me! :lol: