Four inches of s@#%!!!! ARGH!!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

We luvs the white stuff, yes we does. :love:

Sleigh-bells ring. Are ya list'ning?
In the lane, SNOW is glist'ning.
A beautiful sight, we're covered in ..... um .... no, that's not it ....

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

It's so sad that snow causes problems because I think it is one of the most beautiful things in the world. We don't really get much where I am, I'm not sure why. It is grey and brown most of the time and the bright snow makes life seem so much better in the winter. I love how quiet it is when it is snowing. I much prefer cold to humid heat. I don't have to worry about driving in it----when I did, I was a nervous wreck. So I can understand the problem. I don't mind the shoveling, unless it gets beyond what I can do. We do have a snowblower that my husband uses. I hate the noise.

We are having freezing rain predicted for this afternoon. I just canceled an appointment in Des Moines. It's pretty much a certainty that you'll get nowhere but in the ditch in that stuff. It's pretty, though, when the ice forms a coating around every single thing---when the sun shines on it a certain way it looks like mercury has dripped down from the sky. Of course, if it's too much then the boughs of the trees start breaking off from the weight, lines go down, and there are terrible problems.

Good luck everyone!

Yver, Vous N'estes Qu'un Vilain

Yver, vous n'estes qu'un vilain;
Esté est plaisant et gentil
En témoing de may et d'avril
Qui l'accompaignent soir et main.
Esté revet champs, bois et fleurs
De sa livrée de verdure
Et de maintes autres couleurs
Par l'ordonnance de nature.
Mais vous, Yver, trop estes plein
De nège, vent, pluye et grézil.
On vous deust banir en éxil.
Sans point flater je parle plein,
Yver, vous n'estes qu'un vilain.

[Winter, you're naught but a rogue.
Summer is pleasant and kind,
as we see from May and April,
which accompany it evening and morn.
Summer, by nature's order, clothes fields, woods and flowers
with its livery of green
and many other hues.
But you, Winter, are too full
of snow, wind, rain and sleet.
We must send you into exile.
I'm no flatterer and I speak my mind.
Winter, you're naught but a rogue.]

Author: Charles, Duc d'Orléans (1394-1465)
Translation from French to English copyright © 2001 by Faith J. Cormier

We sang Claude Debussy's a cappella Trois Chansons de Charles d'Orléans in my college chorus and Yver, Vous N'estes Qu'un Vilain is the last song:
Variation XXI Just Yver.
Canto Armonico Best, but takes forever to download (well, now it doesn't seem to take a long time, I don't know what the deal is). All three songs are sung, Yver is the last.

I guess I got a little carried away here, but one thing sort of led to another and once I finally found what I was looking for I just couldn't not post it :lol: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

djm wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:my wife got stranded overnight near Bodmin
Hey! I've heard of that place. They have a big moor there, right? Sure, I've seen references to escaping prisoners and Bodmin's Moor.

I just can't imagine snow on him, for some reason.

I watched one of the tv shows from there. I didn't understand a word they were saying. I couldn't make out if the guy was trying to be a celebrity or a fish ....

djm
:-? Everything OK, djm?
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

It's official. We've had the warmest autumn quarter (Sept-Nov) ever recorded. The Central England Temperature series goes back to 1659. It is the longest continuous temperature record in the world. The previous warmest autumn was in 1730. This year's exceeded that one by a whopping 0.7°C or about 1.25°F.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Cynth wrote: Yver, vous n'estes qu'un vilain;
Esté est plaisant et gentil
En témoing de may et d'avril
Qui l'accompaignent soir et main.
Esté revet champs, bois et fleurs
De sa livrée de verdure
Et de maintes autres couleurs
Par l'ordonnance de nature.
Mais vous, Yver, trop estes plein
De nège, vent, pluye et grézil.
On vous deust banir en éxil.
Sans point flater je parle plein,
Yver, vous n'estes qu'un vilain.
Funky spelling...this was before they went and got all particular about the language?
djm

Post by djm »

SteveShaw wrote:Everything OK, djm?
Bodmin => Bodmin Moor => Snow on Bodmin Moor => Moor => Moorish Idol

What's to understand? I thought you liked puns (?).

djm
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

SteveShaw wrote:It's official. We've had the warmest autumn quarter (Sept-Nov) ever recorded. The Central England Temperature series goes back to 1659. It is the longest continuous temperature record in the world. The previous warmest autumn was in 1730. This year's exceeded that one by a whopping 0.7°C or about 1.25°F.
November around Boston was 4-5 degress above the norm. We had a light dusting of snow here and there. Not enough to matter. That's fine for me for snow for winter. Spring is just around the corner.
cowtime

Re: Four inches of s@#%!!!! ARGH!!

Post by cowtime »

Tyler Morris wrote:I hate snow.

We got four inches of it last night.

Grrrrr. :moreevil:

I leave for work before any of the snowplows hit the streets, and true to form, after the first snowstorm of the year everyone forgets how to drive.

At quarter after four this morning I counted three accidents along the five miles between home and work.
My sentiments exactly. I've gotta go in the stuff, no matter what. But, the thing that gives me that sickening feeling is when I then think that after I get to work, I've gotta drive my 72 miles of route, stopping and pulling out on hills. And then, drive home. It is truly something I can't think about very much or I'd freak.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Redwolf wrote:I find the Irish word for "snow" (sneachta) to be quite useful. Said with force, it sounds very much like a curse word, which perfectly expresses how I feel about snow. Try it...it's very cathartic. All together now:

SHNYAKH-tuh!

Redwolf
Are you sure that's not Yiddish? Great word!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

dwinterfield wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:It's official. We've had the warmest autumn quarter (Sept-Nov) ever recorded. The Central England Temperature series goes back to 1659. It is the longest continuous temperature record in the world. The previous warmest autumn was in 1730. This year's exceeded that one by a whopping 0.7°C or about 1.25°F.
November around Boston was 4-5 degress above the norm. We had a light dusting of snow here and there. Not enough to matter. That's fine for me for snow for winter. Spring is just around the corner.
Our November was the wettest (precip both liquid, solid, and fluffy) of any month in recorded history. Honestly, I'll take -20 c and clear over this muck.

We're all dug out from our panic-inducing snow, but I've got to spend the weekend felling danger trees in the yard (in between Xmas concerts). At least our driveway (originally surveyed by a drunk goat that was lame in two legs) is clear now.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
djm

Post by djm »

Oh dear. Its our turn for a spot of the white stuff. Twelve inches since noon and its supposed to carry on all night. I can't even see across the street, its coming down so thick, and not a breath of wind. I guess I know what I'll be doing all weekend - yup, making a snowman, of course! :D

djm
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Arrgh! I'm in the same boat as DJM. There must have been two feet yesterday and last night. I'm heading out to get the snow shovel from the shed behind the house. If I can get there.
djm

Post by djm »

Don't worry about it, SteveK. The whole city has been shut down. 60 cm in twelve hours, and we're still supposed to get another 10 cm before it stops. The big thing now is to get it cleared before we get drizzle on Saturday, else all this light fluffy stuff will turn to cement. :o What's really incredible is that Kilworth to the west and Woodstock to the east only got a couple of inches.

djm
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I retrieved the shovel by wading through about 2 1/2 feet of snow in the driveway. After that I was too tired to do much shoveling. If the snowplow comes down the street there will be four feet of snow where the driveway meets the street. The neighborhood kids are out having fun.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Goodness! I've never had to shovel anything close to that amount of snow. I hope you guys are careful. Don't try to do it all at once and go slow. Drink plenty of water. Yeah, the snow plow is bad news---you think you got it done and then you look out the window..... :x And that stuff is packed down and stuck together, you have to chip it away sometimes.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca