Getting rid of Unsightly Chiff

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

I am about six months into whistle lessons. I have asked my teacher this question but I thought I'd give it a go here as well. Of the many varieties of chiff the one that I am afflicted with is the Plopp. I often get a big PLOPP sound when putting my finger down on a hole. I have heard other players playing the same tunes who do not plopp. I have been trying to get rid of it but to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm so mischugene I could plopp!
Mike Burns
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

I think I know what you're talking about. I don't seem to have trouble with it like I used to. Don't know what, if anything, I might've changed. Well, I guess that was no help!
Reasonable person
Walden
WhistlingSouthpaw

Post by WhistlingSouthpaw »

Actually, I always thought that could be kind of a cool effect. You know you can play a tune by just "plopping" your fingers on the holes in random fingerings.

Probably you're just putting your fingers down too hard. That's my guess.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I tend to get a "plop" sound when I slur from B (xoo ooo) to C-natural (oxx ooo) or vice-versa. I don't mind it, however.
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

Ploping is aparently forbiden by some recorder players.I love to plop unashamedly on a soprano whistle and have noticed that the larger hole whistles have a more satisfying plop than the ones with smaller holes.Waltons Mellow D and Generations are good ploppers...and thats no poop! :wink: Mike
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-10-01 11:55, burnsbyrne wrote:
Of the many varieties of chiff the one that I am afflicted with is the Plopp. I often get a big PLOPP sound when putting my finger down on a hole.
Mike Burns
I doubt whether plopp is a kind of chiff, properly so called. But I really don't know what plopp is. I get lots of strange unintended noises playing whistle like squeek, wheeze and shhchlllerrrpppp. But I don't get anything I'd describe as plopp.

Can you please point me to a clear example, say a bar where Mary Bergin goes plopp?
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

For a lovely example of the deliberate use of "plopping" check out Joanie Madden's album "Song of the Irish Whistle" and skip to The Otter's Nest. Great song. For a while, it was my son's favorite tune.

-Patrick
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

On 2002-10-01 13:24, Wombat wrote:
On 2002-10-01 11:55, burnsbyrne wrote:
Of the many varieties of chiff the one that I am afflicted with is the Plopp. I often get a big PLOPP sound when putting my finger down on a hole.
Mike Burns
I doubt whether plopp is a kind of chiff, properly so called. But I really don't know what plopp is. I get lots of strange unintended noises playing whistle like squeek, wheeze and shhchlllerrrpppp. But I don't get anything I'd describe as plopp.

Can you please point me to a clear example, say a bar where Mary Bergin goes plopp?
I have never heard a player of Mary Bergin's caliber plopp.

I'm learning a tune called Planxty Mrs. Power with a passage that goes something like BCD|BCDD|BCDg and no matter how slow I play it it plopps all the time. That's just an example, there are other spots and other tunes where I plopp. I'm getting plopped out!
Mike
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Here's my B to C-natural "plop" on an Ó Briain nickel D.
http://pw2.netcom.com/~ridseard/plop.mp3
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I bet Mary Bergin doesn't go shhchlllerrrppp either. But thanks Patrick, I'll check out the Joannie Madden example. If Joannie plopps deliberately sometimes, that might just be something Wombat wants to do too. Thanks too Ridseard; we can never have too many tricks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wombat on 2002-10-01 13:51 ]</font>
BillG

Post by BillG »

Ridseard - I went to you mp3 site to hear the plopp but got poop! -- nada! Too pooped to plopp?

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

On 2002-10-01 13:49, Ridseard wrote:
Riseard,
You have a little more squeak in your plopp than I have but basically that's it. It's interesting that I get very little plopp on my Sweetone, but then that's a very low-chiff whistle anyways. I plopp big time on my Oak and slightly less on my brass Gen. I would think that it's due to some interaction between how hard I'm blowing and how fast I close the holes...I dunno!
Mike B
Dewhistle

Post by Dewhistle »

On 2002-10-01 13:49, Ridseard wrote:
Is THAT a plopp? That's bad?
"We took pictures of the native girls, but they weren't developed. But we're going back again in a couple of weeks..."
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is!
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

I find if I don't lift and put down fingers at just the right times, and or use breath control just right as I go from note to note, I get odd little unintentional grace notes. I sometimes will use a split second transitional fingering to go from one note to another so as to prevent the odd unintentional, or cause a more pleasant transitional note between notes.