Teacher wanted for help on Full Set (central or north Texas)

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
mattpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Wanted to update my info here, as it was a couple of years out of date! Spending more time on my whistle these days, so hope to be participating in some conversations here.

Teacher wanted for help on Full Set (central or north Texas)

Post by mattpiper »

Hello! I just received my wonderful full set of Seth Gallagher pipes, and while being extremely impressed by the tone and workmanship of the instrument, I am finding I need help playing the regulators--mainly in simply reaching them! I have been experimenting and have begun to find some ways to make it work... But I know an instructor with experience on a full set would make the process much, much easier!!

I live in Austin, TX, but I travel regularly (like every week) to Dallas, TX and was wondering if there was anyone in either city that is proficient on a full set of UPs and would be up to providing me with some instruciton on these bad boys.

Many thanks!
Matt Willis Bagpiper
http://www.mattpiper.com
[url]http://www,youtube.com/MattWillisBagpiper[/url]
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

PJ
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

See the new NPU DVD - The Art of Uilleann Piping Volume 4 - with Seam McKeon. It is entirely about regulator playing. He starts out with playing one reg, and adding the others later.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
mattpiper
Tell us something.: Wanted to update my info here, as it was a couple of years out of date! Spending more time on my whistle these days, so hope to be participating in some conversations here.

Post by mattpiper »

Thanks for the link! Good stuff--I'll try out this evening.

And I've already picked up the NPU DVD (I had meant to mention that in the initial email), which is great--but the section on posture and positioning is a little short... I'm still having issues even getting to the regulator--but thank you for the suggestion! :) :)

I don't have the 3rd volume of the NPU series (not on DVD yet, and I no longer own a VCR), which says i includes some regulator info in it, and was thinking it may have more on positioning in there...
Matt Willis Bagpiper
http://www.mattpiper.com
[url]http://www,youtube.com/MattWillisBagpiper[/url]
No E

Post by No E »

Hi Matt,

You might try using a shoulder strap (around the mainstock and over your left shoulder) to help bring the reg keys within reach.

No E

PS-glad you're enjoying the set.

:D
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
Steve Turner

Post by Steve Turner »

No E wrote: You might try using a shoulder strap (around the mainstock and over your left shoulder) to help bring the reg keys within reach.
I agree.....I use an old belt around the drone stock to help keep the pipes positioned such that the regulator fall 'easily' to hand. I try to position myself such that the middle regulator keys are my 'home' position, so to speak. Reaching for the lower notes on the regs is facilitated by moving my shoulder to pull the pipes up slightly and the higher notes are reached by a reverse action. Its tricky...no doubt about it, but the extra dimension that the regulators bring to the music is well worth the effort.

In my experience, it'll take you a little while to find a comfortable position, but once you do, your manipulation of the instrument will naturally adjust and before you know it, you'll be gaining more and more confidence on the regs.

Good luck and if I can offer any further advice, please feel free to ask :)

Steve Turner
www.pipesofireland.com
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Ramone Martin is in Austin or Houston, I forget which. My email disintegrated and I can't get at his address. Ramone's cool, he played the Downfall of Paris on the phone for me once and he can regulate quite well. He has pipes by Woofe and Angus, not to mention a homemade wardrobe, lots of shortbread, stuff like that. Wayne Williams (?) is in the same town. John Liestman's in Houston I think, perhaps he'll chime in.
You shouldn't regulate until you can play the chanter OK though, or the results will be hard on your listener's ears. Playing the regs while chantering is like, I don't know, driving a car and shooting a gun at the same time.

Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:Ramone Martin is in Austin or Houston, I forget which. My email disintegrated and I can't get at his address. Ramone's cool, he played the Downfall of Paris on the phone for me once and he can regulate quite well. He has pipes by Woofe and Angus, not to mention a homemade wardrobe, lots of shortbread, stuff like that. Wayne Williams (?) is in the same town. John Liestman's in Houston I think, perhaps he'll chime in.
You shouldn't regulate until you can play the chanter OK though, or the results will be hard on your listener's ears. Playing the regs while chantering is like, I don't know, driving a car and shooting a gun at the same time.

Ramone was in Houston when I lived there, about 3 years ago.

The only UPer I've ever seen in Dallas sessions was visiting from out of town..
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:Ramone Martin is in Austin or Houston, I forget which.
groan, the man with the videocam glued to his eye
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Ah hell Matt, give it up... and more importantly, give me the set. :D
liestman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by liestman »

Matt please see your privates.
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
Joseph E. Smith

liestman wrote:Matt please see your privates.
Why? I am certain he is quite familiar with them. :D
patrick Jacob

Post by patrick Jacob »

Steve Turner wrote:
No E wrote: You might try using a shoulder strap (around the mainstock and over your left shoulder) to help bring the reg keys within reach.
I agree.....I use an old belt around the drone stock to help keep the pipes positioned such that the regulator fall 'easily' to hand. I try to position myself such that the middle regulator keys are my 'home' position, so to speak. Reaching for the lower notes on the regs is facilitated by moving my shoulder to pull the pipes up slightly and the higher notes are reached by a reverse action. Its tricky...no doubt about it, but the extra dimension that the regulators bring to the music is well worth the effort.

In my experience, it'll take you a little while to find a comfortable position, but once you do, your manipulation of the instrument will naturally adjust and before you know it, you'll be gaining more and more confidence on the regs.

Steve Turner
www.pipesofireland.com

I don't agree !

Better play without a shoulderstrap as Mikie Smith tought me. The regs have to be in possition. And if you want to be fast on the regs, move your leg. Just look at Mikie Smith when he play the regs without a shoulderstrap. But start with the middle reg and put the two other a little to the side. The start is a bit tricky but believe I can't play pipes without regs anymore.

Patrick
Joseph E. Smith

patrick Jacob wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:

Steve Turner
www.pipesofireland.com

I don't agree ! Better play without a shoulderstrap as Mikie Smith tought me. The regs have to be in possition. And if you want to be fast on the regs, move your leg. Just look at Mikie Smith when he play the regs without a shoulderstrap.
Patrick
Different body types require different techniques. There isn't anything wrong with a shoulder strap, especially for flat sets which are larger, heavier and the reg keys are generally a little further away from the heel of the hand than concert sets.

Like with many aspects of this instrument, there is no hard and fast rule regarding playing. As long as it is not interferring with the ability to play correctly, whatever style or aid one uses is fine.

A few Pipers of Note who use a shoulder strap:

Robbie Hannan
David Power
Tommy Martin
Brian McNamara...
pudinka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by pudinka »

Wayne Williams (?) is in the same town
...wasn't Wayne Williams the serial killer of children in Atlanta back in the '70's? or am I thinking of John Wayne Gasey, Jr. in Chicago...or Elmer Wayne Henley in Houston? I can't keep them straight, though I should know this.
It's true that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar - but a big, steaming pile works best of all.