time-signature question

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

time-signature question

Post by chas »

I had a book with the complete Playford Tunes on inter-library loan awhile back (took at least six months to get it, so not getting it back for awhile). The first edition was, I think, about 1659. Anyway, there's a time signature that is the same as cut time but with the C backwards. I presume this is faster than cut time, i. e., roughly 1/1.

Anyone familiar with this? I have dug on the web for some time and found references to it, but no explanation.

TIA.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: time-signature question

Post by Loren »

chas wrote:I had a book with the complete Playford Tunes on inter-library loan awhile back (took at least six months to get it, so not getting it back for awhile). The first edition was, I think, about 1659. Anyway, there's a time signature that is the same as cut time but with the C backwards. I presume this is faster than cut time, i. e., roughly 1/1.

Anyone familiar with this? I have dug on the web for some time and found references to it, but no explanation.

TIA.

Maybe that's the sign for "Cut and Run" time - you know, the time when they start throwing bottles at the chicken wire cage you're playing in......

Loren
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Blues Brothers... loved that movie!

Chas, I didn't see a backwards C...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_time
The letter C ("common time")—deriving from the broken circle used in early music—may be used in place of the 4/4 time signature. A similar C with a vertical line through it (¢) can be used in place of 2/2, also known as "alla breve" or, colloquially in English, "cut time" or "cut common time". This "cut" symbol, doubled, is also occasionally used for 4/2, although, confusingly, some examples omit the doubling.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Eric Taylor:The AB Guide to Music Theory wrote: Time signatures were not always written in figures: they were formerly expressed by symbols such as circles and half-circles, sometimes crossed with a vertical line. Most of these symbols had disappeared by the early 17th Century, but two survived well into to 20th Century, though in a modified form: C and c/.
Wikipedia says something similar but even more briefly.
I'm sure I've seen a semicircle like a rotated C - but I don't know what the time signature is meant to be.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I think it means 2/4.

Source. (don't know how reliable it is.)
/Bloomfield
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I once downloaded the whole Playford book from online. It was a bunch of .gif files. I then pasted them into a Word document and printed them. I'll have to try and find it. I'd forgotten about it. Never noticed the backward C
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

The copyist was dyslexic.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Dumb question, but could it be a clef rather than a time signiture? Some of the odd clefs (such as alto) look a little bit like a backwards "E"....

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The ABCs for Playford are here
BoneQuint
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BoneQuint »

Bloomfield wrote:I think it means 2/4.

Source. (don't know how reliable it is.)
Looks pretty conclusive. Lilypond is a well-known, well-researched program.