The Antikythera Mechanism

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jsluder
antispam: No

The Antikythera Mechanism

Post by jsluder »

Ancient Greek computer reveals its secrets
Prof Edmunds said: "It makes you wonder what they would have achieved if they'd have carried on, and the Romans hadn't taken over and put a stop to things. Would they have had a man on the Moon by AD 300?

"It sounds ridiculous, but if they were able to construct something as technically brilliant as this, it's not complete fantasy," said Prof Edmunds.

"The Romans were great at the stuff like building sewers and getting things done, but it was the Greeks who were the thinkers, and came up with real innovative technology."
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

I was just reading about that on CNN.com. Don't you imagine it was a device that was actually left here by aliens? ...what was that book in the 70s that set out to prove aliens had been here many times before (e.g., an island somewhere that's been known as Elephant Island for eons but the only way you can tell it's shaped like an elephant is from the air)??

Susan
djm

Post by djm »

There was a piece on this on tv last night on Discovery Channel. Incredible stuff!

I remember watching a show about a Scotsman (can't think of the name) who developed an incredibly accurate time piece for ships during the days when sailors were still struggling with how to figure out longitude. The reason this second story comes to mind is mention of how incredibly accurate the tiny gears are in the Antikythera Mechanism.

The show about the Scotsman demonstrated how he had first invented his own tools so that he could build by hand an accurate gear at a scale he could easily control, but that his tools would duplicate every movement he made in the machining of a duplicate gear at a fraction of the same size. As I started to understand how the Scotsman's tools worked I was struck by the genius of his work. The same feeling occurred when I started to understand what the Antikythera Mechanism was for and how incredible it was for them to have similarly hand-machined the tiny gears for their mechanism.

Gee, it must be neat to be so darn smart, instead of just being a pretty face.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: The Antikythera Mechanism

Post by Doug_Tipple »

jsluder wrote:
Prof Edmunds said: "It makes you wonder what they would have achieved if they'd have carried on, and the Romans hadn't taken over and put a stop to things. Would they have had a man on the Moon by AD 300? "
Yes, you can't help but be impressed by the ingenuity of the ancient Greeks. But the above query makes me wonder what we could have achieved in this country (USA) if we had taken a different direction in 2000. Could we have been energy independent by the year 2020?
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

It's information like this that gives the lie to the Western idea of "progress". There are cities in ruins from 6,500 B.C. with more advanced draining systems and water supplies than we have today.

Every new idea that gets absorbed into popular culture means that another one somewhere has got lost.
It doesn't surprise me in the least that the ancient Greeks managed to get their head around the notion of differential gears. But in a culture of city-states, this information doesn't easily get spread around.

To look at some "history" books humans were living in caves until about 2000 B.C when suddenly they evolved into the Greeks, Egyptians, Sumerians and Chinese. And ditto in a pre-colombian location. And it's all been uphill since then. Allegedly. I disagree. Man is the same old fidgety tinkering primate as ever. And it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that we've reached this pitch of "civilization" at least once in the past before.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
emmline

Re: The Antikythera Mechanism

Post by emmline »

Doug_Tipple wrote: Could we have been energy independent by the year 2020?
Crap. I know. That constantly occurs to me.
djm wrote:Gee, it must be neat to be so darn smart...
I rail against my intellectual limits daily. Why couldn't I have invented calculus? No fair.
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Emm, if you want to make up for it you could take my Calc 2 and 3 classes for me.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Reminds me of William Gibson's The Difference Engine.

Imagine steam-powered mechanical computers running Victorian England.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Chiffed wrote:Reminds me of William Gibson's The Difference Engine.

Once they got their equivalent of the Internet up and running, I wonder how Victorian spam would be worded...I mean you have to handle some things with the longest of tongs, right?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Nanohedron wrote:

Once they got their equivalent of the Internet up and running, I wonder how Victorian spam would be worded...I mean you have to handle some things with the longest of tongs, right?
"Keep your Wick Waxed for a Modest Fee"

Property and investment scam spam was invented (through snail mail) in Victorian England. They also used adverts in cheap popular books. My collection of Victorian fishing books is full of them.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote:

I think they'd have to word it in terms of manly vigor and such. Even literature, as you know, could convey these things with far greater subtlety than we seem to require today.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

"Ladies! Avoid Green Sickness! Discretion assured! PO Box 1608"
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Did you see this one http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar_5.htm? The Celtic Cross being used for navigation (also the Medicine wheel in North America).
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

susnfx wrote:I was just reading about that on CNN.com. Don't you imagine it was a device that was actually left here by aliens? ...what was that book in the 70s that set out to prove aliens had been here many times before (e.g., an island somewhere that's been known as Elephant Island for eons but the only way you can tell it's shaped like an elephant is from the air)??

Susan
I doubt it was space aliens...wait... was Princess Leia a space alien?
Reasonable person
Walden
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

:P