Dymondwood

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
waltsweet
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Dymondwood

Post by waltsweet »

Dear Avery and Friends,

You’re right, of course, about the difficulties with Dymondwood. When we started using this material back in the Fall of ’02, we didn’t have this trouble. I believe all those instruments went out to happy homes without any returns. Sometimes I wonder if that particular batch of (amber) material was, by chance, unusually good. Maybe it was an act too hard for them to follow.

Meanwhile, we’re working with a new, different laminate with good results. So far so good, but I feel that a little caution is in order. We lost some customers, understandably because of bad material, and I want to be sure before making any more claims. To those of you who have stood by us, we thank you for trusting in us. I have worked very hard on the design issues, and I guess the production issues still need some work. The new stuff has a controlled process, meets mil specs, and undergoes rigorous testing (e.g., moisture permeability and temperature change), so already I’m more confident that the first batch will be like the next, and today’s whistle will be just as durable as tomorrow’s.

I’m the guy who chose the laminated material in the first place, and the reasons are still important:
1. It machines with precision, and this is very important for consistent playability of one instrument to the next, and
2. The finish is hard and durable, and
3. The whistles are easier to bring to completion while
4. It has some of the appearance of natural wood.
5. Also, I’m a little worried about the continued supply of instrument-grade materials. I can live without ivory, but the supply did indeed dry up a while back, and the world political situation tells me that blackwood could dry up, too. The laminate is a renewable resource, and I still think it’s important to prepare for the future. The new stuff is more expensive, but if it does the job, then it’s worth it.

I hope that I didn’t promise anyone that Dymondwood would be indestructible. It surely is not. I’m taking responsibility for the unhappy surprise of cracked instruments, and meanwhile, I ask everyone to care for any instrument as something to be cherished. For a lazy cruise down the Scantic River on an inner tube, I’ll be packing a Susato on a lanyard (and I hope George Kelischek is not offended).

If anyone has a problem, please let us know right away. Our apologies, and thank you for your patience.

Meanwhile, I hope we’ve made some happy musicians, and we’ll continue to make the Pro Whistle the best way possible.

Walt Sweet
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Bravo. Well said.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I'd just like to add my two bits in support of Ralph and Walt.

They are a really class act. In my experience they have, without exception, honored their commitment to do their best to keep their (and my) customers happy. Keep up the good work fellas. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
dyersituations

thanks

Post by dyersituations »

Thanks Walt.

-Casey :)
Life is good.
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Well, I can't vouch for the Dymondwood whistles, but good old Sweetheart # 9350 (top & bottom numbers) still sounds as sweet as it did when I got it--about 8 years ago--from Thom Larson. That fine little D is made out of Maple, I believe. It was my first 'high end' whistle--costing, as I recall, all of $75.00 at the time, which may not even qualify it as 'high end' (dollarwise) by today's standards. It remains a fine whistle, as the Sweets remain fine folks who have been there for the flute and whistle playing community for some time and, I am sure, will be there for us for some time to come.

I do believe that impermanance is a characteristic of all things made by man.

Tom D.
King Friday
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by King Friday »

My Pro D in Dymondwood is a wonderful instrument thats never given me any trouble.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Walt, good luck with the new batch. The whistles you and Ralph make are some of my favorites and I was posting as a warning. The Pro Ds are my favorite for those large sessions they have a good tone, good tuning, and can hold their own. The only whistle I use with more then 5-6 people. I really like them. I hope those who have the Dymondwood ones don't experience the same problems. I hope you guys come up with a solution.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

King Friday wrote:My Pro D in Dymondwood is a wonderful instrument thats never given me any trouble.
I'll second that, regarding my Resonance Low D. No problems whatsoever.

Walt is sending me a piece of the new laminate material to try out, and I'll report back here.

I'll also second whoever it was that said that Ralph and Walt are a class act, and that they stand firmly behind whatever they make. I'd wholeheartedly recommend that anyone who tries a Pro D Dymondwood and loves it to go ahead and buy it.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I own a Sweet fife made of some fruit wood. It has been abused and has stood up to some nasty environments. I bought it in '93 and have always thought of it as a well built piece. I must say that I have also e-mailed the Sweets and found their response to be above and beyond a simple yes/no response. They seem to like what they do and make a quality product. This batch of wood must have been a real thorn in their side.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

I.D.10-t wrote: ............
I bought it in '93 and have always thought of it as a well built piece.
1993! Yes I bought my first quality whistle that year when I visited the UK. It was (and still is) a Sweet maple D.

Recently. flute maker, Mark Hoza, was so entranced by the finish on it that he rethreaded the tenon for me for free.

I wish you well in your projects Mr Sweet!
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Tom Dowling wrote:Well, I can't vouch for the Dymondwood whistles, but good old Sweetheart # 9350 (top & bottom numbers) still sounds as sweet as it did when I got it--about 8 years ago--from Thom Larson. That fine little D is made out of Maple, I believe. It was my first 'high end' whistle--costing, as I recall, all of $75.00 at the time, which may not even qualify it as 'high end' (dollarwise) by today's standards. It remains a fine whistle, as the Sweets remain fine folks who have been there for the flute and whistle playing community for some time and, I am sure, will be there for us for some time to come.

I do believe that impermanance is a characteristic of all things made by man.

Tom D.
I think I got my first Sweet about 10 years ago from Andy's Front Hall - I think it's walnut, #7296, top and bottom, but with a "typo" on bottom, where a 7 is started and a 6 done over it - in perfect shape and real pretty.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Hey Walt, I'd like to say this:

When I started getting Oz Whistles set up this time last year, my due dilligence included analysing every make of whistle stocked by every shop selling them.

The numbers showed that Sweetheart whistles were the most consistently stocked high-end wooden whistle globally. This kind of thing never happens by mistake.

SO Sweetheart was among the very first ports of call when I began investing. I am now entering my second year of business, the rent is payed and things are looking good. This is in no small part due to the excellent products and customer service provided by the whistle making fraternity, at the head of the list are Sweetheart.

My customers have appreciated the genuine attention payed to each and every whistle by you and your team - although there have been a few problems with materials, by and large the result has been happy whistlers. Not a single one had any issue with the tone, performance or playability of Pro and Resonance whistles. They continue to be one of my key offerings. Without your kind of comittment, good-will and attention to detail, folks like me would never stand a chance.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Props to Walt, and the Sweetheart company in general, particularly for excellent customer service, and making the effort to explore alternative materials/processes for instrument construction - something I expect all wooden flute and whistle makers may have to embrace at some point in our lifetimes.

Loren