"Give us 'the Bucks'!" (Matt Molloy video)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

BTW, I didn't delete my posts for David's sake: I realized after posting last night that we had gone to far astray, and I intended to act accordingly this morning. This was before seeing David's post.

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kame
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kame »

Congratulations wrote:I can't decide whether I should go practice or start a fire... :o

:wink:

let's start a fire and practice around it!!!!!!!!!!!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks to those of you who have attempted to drag the thread back on-topic. Martial arts is all very interesting - I've "retired my sword", myself - but let's bring it to the Pub or use PMs, please.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
cocusflute

Deleted posts

Post by cocusflute »

Loren, my point wasn't that you should stay on topic, or delete your off-topic posts. It doesn't bother me at all that I spend perhaps twenty seconds reading material I'm not interested in, or having to skip to other posts. My point was about censorship.
The moderator will let your posts, that are irrelevant to fluting, stand as posted. But if a person discusses politics, even briefly, that post gets deleted.
I am in favor of a free press. Even on a forum such as this. People should have the right to read or ignore or answer a post with which they disagree, or which they feel is offensive. This right should not be censored in a free society.
The moderators of the forum let your irrelevant (politically neutral) posts stand but they delete my irrelevant (politically charged) posts.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Re: Deleted posts

Post by Nanohedron »

cocusflute wrote:Loren, my point wasn't that you should stay on topic, or delete your off-topic posts. It doesn't bother me at all that I spend perhaps twenty seconds reading material I'm not interested in, or having to skip to other posts. My point was about censorship.
The moderator will let your posts, that are irrelevant to fluting, stand as posted. But if a person discusses politics, even briefly, that post gets deleted.
I am in favor of a free press. Even on a forum such as this. People should have the right to read or ignore or answer a post with which they disagree, or which they feel is offensive. This right should not be censored in a free society.
The moderators of the forum let your irrelevant (politically neutral) posts stand but they delete my irrelevant (politically charged) posts.
Then why is your political post still standing? If it's deleted or altered, it won't be on my account. If you have so much to say politically, why don't we see you much at all in the Poli/Con Forum?
Last edited by Nanohedron on Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

rh wrote:bubblitude?
bubblosity?
Just don't try Bubblicious... it'll just gum up the windway. :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Henke

Post by Henke »

Political posts will 9 times out of 10 start flame wars on discussion forums like these. I admitt that the discussion got carried away too far OT, sorry about that, but if it had been a Political post, we would probably have 10 pages of egg throwing by now. The result of this was just 5 or 6 posts of OT stuff as me and Loren got side tracked for a while, it wasn't 30 posts of people trying to feed each other their rubbish ideas while screaming that the other peoples ideas all suck. :)

Anyway, here's the post that started it all, stripped of some of the OT stuff. I forgott about this one for a while, but it was acctually a pretty cool idea.
Henke wrote:Just got a very weird idea. Not serious btw... just so you know. I've been planning a trip to Thailand to improve my stand up fighting. This is a common thing for Martial Artists to do.
Maybe I should go to Westport for something similar when it comes to music :D Just play sessions in surounding areas, buy a couple of single lessons from a few different teachers and hope the Master (Matt Molloy) drops by the dojo (pub).
What do you guys think my chances are to become the apprentice of Matt Molloy?
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

My favorite political post is below.
dubhlinn wrote:Bono is at a U2 concert in Glasgow when he asks the audience for some quiet.

Then in the silence, he starts to slowly clap his hands.

Holding the audience in total silence, he says into the Microphone... "Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies."

A voice from near the front pierces the silence... "Well, f***ing stop it then!"
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Henke wrote:...but if it had been a Political post, we would probably have 10 pages of egg throwing by now.
Exactly so. And that's why there's the Poli/Con Forum to play in.

OT situations are difficult to judge, sometimes, and the mods let plenty go. Anyway, the evidence shows that thread drift isn't usually discouraged here at C&F; it's considered by the mods to be natural and frequently the source of entertaining reading. Political sidetracks, though, are indeed more likely to be moved, jumped on, or deleted, but the reasons should be obvious as stated in the quote above. Plus there's a forum for it.

It also just might be of interest to learn that a good number of deletions are done at the request of the author.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

bradhurley wrote:
Henke wrote:But what is that flute he's playing??
That's the Eb flute he played on most of the tracks of "the black album." I can't remember what make it was. He played a concert-pitch Rudall on the first Bothy Band album but I don't know what the make of the Eb flute was.
You sure that isn't a Ruddal & Rose? I had to go back and look at pictures of my old R&R to see how it compared. Hard to tell, but I did see some similarities still...I thought. You don't think that was his R&R on the 2nd and 3rd Bothy albums? Matt played my flute once in Seattle and said it was just like his old one on the Bothy albums.

WOW! What a lesson in finger work! I've never seen Matt's hands up close like that. I didn't realize his fingers were bent so. I know some pipers who prefer to hold their fingers straight and relaxed when playing their flutes, pretty much like on their UP chanters, using the middle finger pads mostly.
I think James Galway looks more amused than anything else...I've seen him look that way at Molloy when they've performed together with the Chieftains; he always seems to put on this air of the master watching a talented disciple who has chosen to go his own way, which of course couldn't be further from the truth!
That was amusing the way Galway slowly rotated his head as if under controlled marvel. I do think he was in a state of disbelief (deep inside).

Maybe this has already been posted, I don't know, but for anyone who hasn't seen it, here's one of Seamus Egan playing his flute. It's quite good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu26Y0DXyT8&
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Lorenzo wrote:You sure that isn't a Ruddal & Rose? I had to go back and look at pictures of my old R&R to see how it compared. Hard to tell, but I did see some similarities still...I thought. You don't think that was his R&R on the 2nd and 3rd Bothy albums?
He used his concert-pitch Rudall and Rose for all the Bothy Band albums; he didn't record with the Boosey (Pratten Perfected) until later.

But this is his Eb flute, not the concert-pitch one. I don't think it's a Rudall...doesn't it have a one-piece middle? And did Rudall & Rose even make Eb flutes? I don't know.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

single piece body, pin mounted keys w/ flat cups, pitched about e-flat....probably be the beloved boosey

he no rudall play
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Thanks you guys. Yeah, he's in Eb alright, Donal has his capo on the first fret. And the pin mounts--how could I have overlooked something so obvious! :boggle:

Yeah, that flute may only have three sections--one long middle one. It looks like he has the lowest section (Eb, C#, and C) twisted forward out of his usual way. That's the first thing he did with my flute too--twist the lowest section on around.

His fingers look double jointed.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Lorenzo wrote:WOW! What a lesson in finger work! I've never seen Matt's hands up close like that.
Ohhh, yeah. I was mesmerised myself. Big time.
Lorenzo wrote:I didn't realize his fingers were bent so. I know some pipers who prefer to hold their fingers straight and relaxed when playing their flutes, pretty much like on their UP chanters, using the middle finger pads mostly.
That's a trad fluteplayer's "standard grip", or a variant of it, that Molloy was using. I have been using the so-called "piper's grip", which is what you next described, on flute long before I ever took up the pipes, myself. It's easier on my hands, probably in part because they are small. This is not a recommendation to budding fluteplayers, BTW. Everyone's different, and one should do what works best. There is much to recommend the standard grip, which I think should be well-tried before thinking of abandoning it.
david quinn
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by david quinn »

AaronMalcomb wrote:
david quinn wrote:NOT A PATCH ON GALWAY. James Galways wife,s better than Matt Molloy
Better at what and how? :wink:
jigs and reels are relatively simple to play compared to what James Galway can play. For most Competent Flautists not in my case though.

James Galway can play things the rest of us could only dream about and not just on penny whistle but on fife, old system, simple sytem and Hes the master of the Boehm.

Does Matt Molloy get to play a lot with Symphony Orchestras and does he have a Golden flute?

David