What Was the First Rock and Roll Record?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Congratulations wrote:Silly topic. Obviously Beethoven invented this whole "rock and roll" shenanigan.
He didn't invent it. But he did roll over to tell Richard Nixon the news.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

The Weekenders wrote:I am too young to know the answer. i was born in 1956 and I bet it was before that.
you turned 50 this year. teehee. :D
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Wombat wrote:
Congratulations wrote:Silly topic. Obviously Beethoven invented this whole "rock and roll" shenanigan.
He didn't invent it. But he did roll over to tell Richard Nixon the news.
Ah. And so it is. :lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
missy

Post by missy »

amar wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:I am too young to know the answer. i was born in 1956 and I bet it was before that.
watch it, you young whipper-snapper..........
(I got a year and a couple of months to go before hitting 50).
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

amar wrote:
This is a good year to turn 50 :lol: :lol:

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

BigDavy wrote:
amar wrote:
I'll be turning 50 in 2037. You guys are old.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Congratulations wrote:
BigDavy wrote:
amar wrote: you turned 50 this year. teehee. :D
May you have length of days yourself. My satisfaction will be delicious.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
BoneQuint

Re: What Was the First Rock and Roll Record?

Post by BoneQuint »

Le Vertigo, by Joseph-Nicolas-Pancrace Royer, 1746.
amar

Post by amar »

missy wrote:
amar wrote:
watch it, you young whipper-snapper..........
(I got a year and a couple of months to go before hitting 50).
I've got 10...sigh..
amar

Post by amar »

Congratulations wrote:
BigDavy wrote:
amar wrote: you turned 50 this year. teehee. :D
that's what my girlfriend always tells me too. hahaha.. :swear:
amar

Post by amar »

BoneQuint wrote:Le Vertigo, by Joseph-Nicolas-Pancrace Royer, 1746.
:-?

dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Alan Freed, a Cleveland DJ coined the term "rock and roll" in 1951. More complex than it might first appear.

http://www.answers.com/rock-and-roll&r=67
A great advance in American civil liberties, as well as a revolution in music, took place as a result of the introduction of rock and roll in 1951. The introducer was Alan Freed, a disc jockey in Cleveland, who used the term to undermine the segregation of popular music into black and white. African-American popular music of the day, known as rhythm and blues, was increasingly influential, but radio stations and the record industry insisted on having white performers for white audiences. The only way a song composed and performed by blacks could reach a wider audience was for it to be remade by a white group.

Freed was able to get around the prohibition against African-American music on his radio station by coining a catchy name that was new and therefore all-encompassing. He wouldn't fight to play the forbidden rhythm and blues; instead, he would treat his audiences to what he called rock and roll. And while that term did not end music segregation overnight, it eventually made segregation impossible, as both black and white performers took up the phrase and together developed the new rock and roll. From the beginning it was also known informally as rock 'n' roll. By the mid-1960s the triumph of rock and roll was so complete that the name of the genre, now performed by musicians of all races all over the world, shrank to rock. No longer needed for music, the full phrase rock and roll recently has been used to mean "get going, move along," as in "Let's rock and roll."

Freed, who went on to greater fame and misfortune, is appropriately memorialized in Cleveland's Rock 'n' Roll Museum. But he did not actually invent rock and roll; he just gave it a new definition. Freed probably picked up rock and roll from the lyrics of a 1948 rhythm-and-blues hit called "Good Rockin' Tonight." Before that, both rock and roll had sexual meanings in jazz and blues, as in "My Man Rocks Me with One Steady Roll," recorded by Trixie Smith in 1922, which inspired Bill Haley's famous "Rock Around the Clock" in 1954.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Alan Freed, a Cleveland DJ coined the term "rock and roll" in 1951. More complex than it might first appear.

http://www.answers.com/rock-and-roll&r=67
A great advance in American civil liberties, as well as a revolution in music, took place as a result of the introduction of rock and roll in 1951. The introducer was Alan Freed, a disc jockey in Cleveland, who used the term to undermine the segregation of popular music into black and white. African-American popular music of the day, known as rhythm and blues, was increasingly influential, but radio stations and the record industry insisted on having white performers for white audiences. The only way a song composed and performed by blacks could reach a wider audience was for it to be remade by a white group.

Freed was able to get around the prohibition against African-American music on his radio station by coining a catchy name that was new and therefore all-encompassing. He wouldn't fight to play the forbidden rhythm and blues; instead, he would treat his audiences to what he called rock and roll. And while that term did not end music segregation overnight, it eventually made segregation impossible, as both black and white performers took up the phrase and together developed the new rock and roll. From the beginning it was also known informally as rock 'n' roll. By the mid-1960s the triumph of rock and roll was so complete that the name of the genre, now performed by musicians of all races all over the world, shrank to rock. No longer needed for music, the full phrase rock and roll recently has been used to mean "get going, move along," as in "Let's rock and roll."

Freed, who went on to greater fame and misfortune, is appropriately memorialized in Cleveland's Rock 'n' Roll Museum. But he did not actually invent rock and roll; he just gave it a new definition. Freed probably picked up rock and roll from the lyrics of a 1948 rhythm-and-blues hit called "Good Rockin' Tonight." Before that, both rock and roll had sexual meanings in jazz and blues, as in "My Man Rocks Me with One Steady Roll," recorded by Trixie Smith in 1922, which inspired Bill Haley's famous "Rock Around the Clock" in 1954.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Wombat wrote:I'm curious to know if any of you have definite opinions about this question.

As usual, I'm not going to say why I'm asking for fear of influencing the answer. All I'll say is this: if you think it's a misguided question, please tell me why.
I think Ike Turner is more important to the story than we usually hear.
Reasonable person
Walden
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

Let’s just be glad we were not talking about Colin Powell (or anyone with the name Willy or Dick).