"Give us 'the Bucks'!" (Matt Molloy video)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

rh wrote:i just ask because Grey Larsen is so adamant on cutting with the finger directly above the sounded note -- Molloy is the progenitor of the "bubbly fingerwork" style, his stuff is so crisp and yet he doesn't do what Grey seems to imply is the way to achieve bubbliness.

bubblitude?
bubblosity?
I think that Grey was writing for the beginner...

perhaps he was more clear in the section on triplets.
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

I never quite understood what bubblism actually was, I just love Molloy's style... :) But if "bubbly" means very crisp ornamentation, then I think Molloy's left hand cutting is the way to go. Just tell me if I'm wrong.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Denny wrote:
rh wrote:i just ask because Grey Larsen is so adamant on cutting with the finger directly above the sounded note -- Molloy is the progenitor of the "bubbly fingerwork" style, his stuff is so crisp and yet he doesn't do what Grey seems to imply is the way to achieve bubbliness.

bubblitude?
bubblosity?
I think that Grey was writing for the beginner...

perhaps he was more clear in the section on triplets.
No grey means it. Took workshops and private lessons
with him. He's thought things through and believes
his conclusions.
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

I think there's a great deal of mutual respect between Molloy and Sir Jams. Years ago I read a review of a concert which reported that, after a solo by Molloy, someone in the crowd yelled, "James Galway is dead!", to which Matt immediately replied, "James Galway is god". Fair play to him, I thought. As to JG's expression, don't forget the guy can hardly see his hand in front of his face.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

I don't think Grey's advice to cut with the finger directly above was aimed at achieving "bubbliness" but rather, in his words, at "maximizing the clarity and definition" of the cut. I personally find that a bit paradoxical because when I cut with a much higher note it sounds more clear and defined to my ear than if I cut with the note just above. I've always followed the rule of "cut high, tap low," cutting most notes in the first octave with B (cutting B and A with C#), and that provides a sharp, clearly defined cut.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I refuse to be systematic about how I cut, with the exception that I try to cut close to the note in the second octave. (And I really dislike the tone of Grey's book, as much as I like the transcriptions in the back.)
/Bloomfield
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

bradhurley wrote:
I don't think Grey's advice to cut with the finger directly above was aimed at achieving "bubbliness" but rather, in his words, at "maximizing the clarity and definition" of the cut. I personally find that a bit paradoxical because when I cut with a much higher note it sounds more clear and defined to my ear than if I cut with the note just above. I've always followed the rule of "cut high, tap low," cutting most notes in the first octave with B (cutting B and A with C#), and that provides a sharp, clearly defined cut.
Grey's playing a very small hole flute. Using his method on my german flute does indeed produce a more clear and defined cut on my small hole german flute. But, I like the sound of a higher cut, so I typically will use more than one finger for a cut if I can, and how many/which depends on what note I'm cutting. My LH3 is very sluggish so I used to cut everything with LH2, but if I do that for a high E, it doesn't really respond well enough to sound like a cut, so I use all three left hand fingers together and it sounds kinda like Peter Horan.
William Bajzek
rh

Post by rh »

I didn't really mean for the thread to become about Grey; rather i think it is great to have such a close look at MM's fingerwork and to be able to pull that apart a little in order to get some insight into his remarkable technical ability. Anyway, i don't feel so bad cutting everything on the bottom hand with the top hand ring finger now. 8)
there is no end to the walking
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

rh wrote:I didn't really mean for the thread to become about Grey; rather i think it is great to have such a close look at MM's fingerwork and to be able to pull that apart a little in order to get some insight into his remarkable technical ability. Anyway, i don't feel so bad cutting everything on the bottom hand with the top hand ring finger now. 8)
Yes, but if we stayed on topic, this just wouldn't be C&F.

Anyone have tips on making stuffed squash?
William Bajzek
david quinn
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by david quinn »

NOT A PATCH ON GALWAY. James Galways wife,s better than Matt Molloy
cocusflute

Galway vs Molloy?

Post by cocusflute »

James Galway doesn't need defending.
Neither does Matt Molloy.
David Quinn.... not so sure.
Henke

Re: Galway vs Molloy?

Post by Henke »

cocusflute wrote:James Galway doesn't need defending.
Neither does Matt Molloy.
David Quinn.... not so sure.
hehe, good one
jtrout
Tell us something.: I play ITM on flute and whistle and enjoy the the topics on both forums. Much more civil and germaine that The Session.Org.

Post by jtrout »

I've been making great tune-learning progress with the Amazing Slowdower. Now what I need is a YouTube slowdowner to figure out Matt's ornamentation! Not only is Matt Molloy a virtuoso, he's a fine person. I believe that whenever the Chieftans perform at a venue where ITM muscians live, they are invited up on the stage at the end of the performance for a set, and then get to go backstage for a chat with the group. I've done this twice, and Matt has been delightful. About 15 years ago I was in his pub in Westport. The lads there said he was away. But in the middle of the session, he showed up. You can imagine my shock and discomfort, but he was just one of the group, and very supportive and friendly. I don't relate these things to brag or drop the name, but rather to reiterate what a good man he is.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

david quinn wrote:NOT A PATCH ON GALWAY. James Galways wife,s better than Matt Molloy
Better at what and how? :wink:
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

monkey587 wrote: Yes, but if we stayed on topic, this just wouldn't be C&F.

Anyone have tips on making stuffed squash?
ask james galway's wife, apparently her recipe is better than matt molloy's.