What for drying lips ?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dessinchat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What for drying lips ?

Post by dessinchat »

Hi ! I have been playing a wooden flute for a year now and a have the following problem. When playing , I would often need to wet my lips and I don't find the time ! but when they are really dry, it happens that there is no longer sound out of my flute ... any tips against that ?
Thanks all :)
Nicole
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hi. Try just wetting the insides of your lips with your tongue. It's fairly quick, and that's where it really counts, I find. If you lick the outer portion of the lips too often, you might risk chapping, and then flute playing will really be a chore.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Along with Nano's suggestion, try drinking water while you stop between tunes. I suspect your mouth gets dry too and water may do the trick.
jtrout
Tell us something.: I play ITM on flute and whistle and enjoy the the topics on both forums. Much more civil and germaine that The Session.Org.

Post by jtrout »

At this time of year, my upper lip gets a bit dry and threatens to crack. I apply lip balm throughout the day, but if any remains on my lip whilst attempting to play the flute, things don't work until I wipe the stuff off! So its back to licking while I play. Also, it took me awhile to acquire the skill of taking a lick while playing (no pun intended!). Ah, this flute business: if it isn't the breath phrasing, its the licking!
dessinchat

Post by dessinchat »

jtrout wrote:Ah, this flute business: if it isn't the breath phrasing, its the licking!
right !! :lol: it's a problem, but I have others and yes, finding the time to breathe is another ! :P
Henke

Post by Henke »

Keep yourself and your lips hydrated when not playing the flute as well. Drink water regularly and use lip balm. Did you know that something like a third of the people in the western world are constantly more or less dehydrated because they don't bother to drink? Being dehydrated is bad for your health.
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

You might try to make your embouchure on the inner part of the lip, not so prone to dryness. I'm in a halfway stage moving to this but it has helped me with the same problem.

Off topic here is an addition to your colour pencil links!

http://www.yvonnegilbert.com/home1.html
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

"chat" is not a good ending for a forum name if you want wet lips.
"chien" would be better .....
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Aquaphor is what dermatologists recommend; works too.
Available over the counter at pharmacies.
BillG

Post by BillG »

Pure lanolin also works but needs to be applied a few hours before playing. I use Badger Balm to keep my lips moist in the winter or during hot sunny days. Its the same stuff I use to grease the corks of my flutes. AND the same stuff I use on my hands - finger tips especially - when they get too dry and don't cover the holes tightly.

http://www.badgerbalm.com/

Usual disclaimers here.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
dessinchat

Post by dessinchat »

Thanks for your advices ! Yes, I can try to drink more ... :D water of course :D
and yes ! I was just going to order some essential oils and I saw that this website sells a lot of natural balms... I will give a look at them :P
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Bill G: ...Its the same stuff I use to grease the corks of my flutes. AND the same stuff I use on my hands - finger tips especially - when they get too dry and don't cover the holes tightly.
I like the idea of using one substance for everything. I quit using any cork greese that comes in those Chapstik like containers because I kep cork greasing my lips. I use Burt's Bees lip balm (beeswax with lanolin, pepermint and some other stuff) on my lips; maybe it would work well on the cork too. I'll try it.

Clark
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I like you're thinking Clark, and I've been considering going the same route, except using Bag Balm instead, that way I can also use the same product on hands, which get incredibly dry during the winters here.

Also covers me if I run across the odd cow that needs emergency Udder moisturizing.......

Loren
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Loren wrote:emergency Udder moisturizing
Excuse me?
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

Bag Balm was originally made for use with cows. Lots of folks use it for dry, cracked skin; we have a tin in our house, with no cows within smelling distance. In addition to providing excellent care for cracked skin, it also has an antiseptic in it. Use it on corks, and you won't have to worry about your flute becoming infected...

http://www.bagbalm.com/