latest IE

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
carrie

latest IE

Post by carrie »

Yesterday I downloaded the latest version of Internet Explorer (because of its improved security features). But what happened to the edit menu? I use the "Find on this page" option a lot and I don't see it available now. I checked the Help files but wasn't able to locate anything there about it either. Anybody know?

Many thanks,
Carol
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Ctrl-F is the shortcut, maybe it still works that way?
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

Those menus are still there, but for some weird reason they're hidden by default. Go to the "Tools" menu (the one with the gear icon to the left of it) and look for click the "Menu Bar." That should get you the standard menu bar, and the stuff you're looking for is in the Edit menu.

You can also move those bars around by dragging the dotted vertical line to the left of the menu bar.
Last edited by bradhurley on Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
carrie

Post by carrie »

So it does! Thank you, Beth!!

Carol
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

By the way, I like IE7 overall, especially the ability to use tabs (which has been available in all the other browsers for a few years now), but IE has gotten really heavy-handed with security. Last week I purchased an online upgrade to Adobe Acrobat, and after paying $100 for my software IE7 wouldn't let me download it. It didn't even give me the option of disabling the security control, it just said "for your security, Internet Explorer will not download this program" and then closed the window. I tried Firefox and that worked fine. So you might want to keep both browsers on your computer just in case you run into problems like that!
carrie

Post by carrie »

Thanks, Brad--sorry, I didn't see your comment when I responded to Beth's. Got the menu bar now. I decided to d/l the new IE because I had just had a worm problem and had to pay Symantec $70 to take over my computer remotely and get rid of it, but I did d/l Firefox too and have no intention of getting rid of it!

Carol
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

bradhurley wrote:By the way, I like IE7 overall, especially the ability to use tabs (which has been available in all the other browsers for a few years now), but IE has gotten really heavy-handed with security. Last week I purchased an online upgrade to Adobe Acrobat, and after paying $100 for my software IE7 wouldn't let me download it. It didn't even give me the option of disabling the security control, it just said "for your security, Internet Explorer will not download this program" and then closed the window. I tried Firefox and that worked fine. So you might want to keep both browsers on your computer just in case you run into problems like that!
:boggle:
/Bloomfield
djm

Post by djm »

I got rid of IE 7 when I discovered too many applications that are not compatable with it. Probably the world will catch up eventually, but in the meantime I will stick to Netscape 8, and fall back on IE 6 when necessary.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
mukade

Post by mukade »

IE has always been a horrid beast.

Go <A href='http://www.opera.com/'>Opera</A>...

Go <A href='http://www.flock.com/'>Flock</A>...

Go <A href='http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/'>Firefox</A>...

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

The thing is, there are so many sites that are set up to work best (or only work at all) in IE that you pretty much need to have it. My health insurance plan's site only works in IE; my company's online timesheet system only works in IE, etc. etc....I agree that it's not the best browser out there but there's little point in getting passionate about web browsers. I've been using IE exclusively for years on my Windows machine (on my Mac I use Safari) and it's fine.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

bradhurley wrote:The thing is, there are so many sites that are set up to work best (or only work at all) in IE that you pretty much need to have it. My health insurance plan's site only works in IE; my company's online timesheet system only works in IE, etc. etc....I agree that it's not the best browser out there but there's little point in getting passionate about web browsers. I've been using IE exclusively for years on my Windows machine (on my Mac I use Safari) and it's fine.
I've been using Safari on a Mac for a couple of years now and have yet to hit a site that can't be handled cleanly. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough. Or maybe it's because, unlike Brad, I'm only dealing with sites that are trying to market to everybody (or if not everybody, at least substantial market-share sized chunks of everybody). Those sites are stupid (in that they are rejecting possible profits) if they don't cater to all web browsers (or at least all major web browsers). This is different than a company which may have made the corporate decision to use IE in its internal operations and then decides to let its employees access the company's internal web functions from their personal machines. I suppose it would make economic sense for them to limit the number of browsers they have to deal with.

But as a bottom line, I'd agree with Brad that it's pointless to get overly passionate about browsers. My approach has been to get overly disgusted with crappy or bloated or insecure browsers (or operating systems, for that matter) that make life difficult for me, and then chuck them in favor of others that are (much) less irritating. That's why I switched from a Windows PC to a Mac a few years ago. The Safari browser came as a byproduct in that deal, and so far it's surprisingly proved equal to or better than what I was used to with IE. I'm still stuck with a Windows PC at the office, but if that gets too cranky I just complain to the corporate IT folks, and eventually it gets resolved. Meanwhile, I still get paid while I sit around unproductively...
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I have AT&T DSL and they have their own IE type browser with tabs. I like it alot better than IE. You can dictate your own security levels on the fly.

I especially like the tabs. It's easier to flick from lichen to a decoy Disney page when the kids show up. :lol: :lol:

Just kidding. I don't have a decoy Disney page.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Flyingcursor wrote:I have AT&T DSL and they have their own IE type browser with tabs. I like it alot better than IE. You can dictate your own security levels on the fly.
Hey..that's kind of convenient...seeing as how you're the flydood and all... :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown