Penny Chanter Set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
eedbjp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Penny Chanter Set

Post by eedbjp »

I'm wondering if the David Dayes set would be a good idea. Is it the kind of thing like a Doug Tipple flute, you might outgrow it but you still hang on to it because it's a reliable player? Or is it just worth going for a less expensive "regular" set like Dixon or Patrick Sky? I know this has been hashed out a lot, but I'd apprecciate any advice.
Uilleann915

Post by Uilleann915 »

I've had my Dixon practice set for a few weeks now, and so far I'm very happy with it. His prices are reasonable, depending on the upgrades and options you want to go with. It's my 1st ever set, so I can't really say how the Daye pipes are....just relaying my good review of C.J's work. :)
Reepicheep

Post by Reepicheep »

I have a Daye set that I'm very happy with. I built my own bellows/bag/connectors so I was able to get started for very little cash. If you don't mind sourcing and building some of the parts yourself (or with the parts provided by Daye) Daye's prices cannot be beat.

I anticipate that in another 2-3 years (after I've gotten a bit better as a piper) I will move on to a traditional wood halfset (likely a Sky set, maybe a Whitmer). But I will keep the pennychanter, no doubt about it.
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I'd start off with a wood set that can be upgraded should you desire to do so in the future. If you start out with a good chanter and reed, by the time you are ready to add drones, they will be well broken in and playing exactly the way you want them to... no need to go out and buy another chanter.

Pat Sky has been making pipes for over four decades, and turns out a very nice stick. I still bvelieve his offer is of more value in the long run than a Penny chanter... not that there is anything wrong, whatsoever, with D. Daye's work. Up-grading Pat's set, to the best of my knowledge, would require you to purchase a new bag, unless Pat provides a leather bag option... and it looks like he does:

http://www.patricksky.com/Pipes%20prices-5.htm
smithand
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by smithand »

The penny chanter did the trick for me. When I bought my Daye practice set I was very uncertain about my ability to play the pipes, but I loved the sound so much that I wanted to give it a go. 18 months later I'm still going and I've got much further than I ever expected. Nothing amazing, but I'm playing and getting better. I think that the penny chanter was a good introduction. But I did get tired of the aesthetics after a few months, and I couldn't persuade myself to expand it, so I sold it and, through a variety of complicated manouvres on eBay, bought a Davy stephenson half set. The new owner is the newly-formed Sacramento and Sierra Nevada Foothills Uilleann Pipes club (or somesuch name).
So I would recommend the penny chanter, but with a few reservations. I forgot to mention that I also bought a used penny chanter as a backup to my new chanter. (I told you those eBay manouvres were complicated.)

Andrew
liraman

Re: Penny Chanter Set

Post by liraman »

[quote="eedbjp"]I'm wondering if the David Dayes set would be a good idea. Is it the kind of thing like a Doug Tipple flute, you might outgrow it but you still hang on to it because it's a reliable player? Or is it just worth going for a less expensive "regular" set like Dixon or Patrick Sky? I know this has been hashed out a lot, but I'd apprecciate any advice.[/quote]

I'd go with the Penny Chanter any time, especially if you not sure you will stick with the UP and just want to try. There may be a risk of outgrowing, as you said, but as it has been stated here and elsewhere: Many keep their Penny chanter even after buying wooden sets, just for the reliability. And, it has to be stressed, a "regular" wooden chanter is in no way a garantee for a good instrument!
Daye's pipes may lack in aestaetics for some people, but in fact he makes a damn good instrument and, which is as important if not more, damn good reeds.
I have some 7-8 bagpipes of different nationalities, and the Penny chanter is the one I enjoy the most. I never expected to buy and play one and I am enjoying every minuit with my DD set.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Look into Pat Sky or the Uilleann pipeworks of Boston. Quality workmanship, very fair prices, and tons of experience - particularly with P. Sky.
eedbjp
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Post by eedbjp »

Thank you all. I've decided to go the David Dayes route, after thinking through all of the pros and cons. This will be my second try at piping. This time around I actually have a place to practice in the basement of an old building. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm going for his 3/8 set.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

eedbjp wrote:......I'm going for his 3/8 set.
What is that? I haven't heard the term before. How long before we convert to metric?
TheSpoonMan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TheSpoonMan »

Tony wrote:
eedbjp wrote:......I'm going for his 3/8 set.
What is that? I haven't heard the term before. How long before we convert to metric?
Two drones, no bass.