Irish Flute CD Recommendations Needed

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jmiller
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Irish Flute CD Recommendations Needed

Post by jmiller »

Most of my Irish music collection features whistle music, but I'd like to get a better feel for what is posible with the Irish flute. Can you recommend a few good CD"s? I am especially interested in recordings which are not over-produced. Thanks.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

ImageImageImage
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Denny wrote:ImageImageImage

Dittos.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

fyffer wrote:

Dittos.
Yup.

Also, Mike Rafferty's "Speed 78" is good.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
scheky

Post by scheky »

what they said!
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

I would endorse this with the caveat "recordings that are not entirely overproduced". The odd overproduced couple of tracks are present on each and every one of the WFO CDs, althogh the majority of the tracks on these CDs are great.

Now, for a flute CD on which every track is great, the most recent example I've heard is Marcas O Murchu's new one, Turas Ceoil, on Clo Iar-Chonnachta.
cocusflute

O'Murchu

Post by cocusflute »

I prefer O'Murchu's first CD.
Doesn't anybody listen to the divine MM anymore?
withak

Post by withak »

Fourthing this. You aren't going to find anything better for getting a broad idea of what is possible on the flute.
m31

Re: O'Murchu

Post by m31 »

cocusflute wrote:Doesn't anybody listen to the divine MM anymore?
Goodgawd, who's MM? You mean the rap singer?
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

cocusflute wrote:Doesn't anybody listen to the divine MM anymore?
The Divine Miss M? When did Bette Midler do an Irish flute CD?
Denny

Post by Denny »

cocusflute wrote:I prefer O'Murchu's first CD.
I didn't even know she played flute...

johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Denny wrote:
cocusflute wrote:I prefer O'Murchu's first CD.
I didn't even know she played flute...

There's a joke in there somewhere, regarding one specific kind of flute and perhaps a dead president or golden-voiced singer, but I for one ain't gonna go there...
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D ...and his brother... :D

is that close enough for Irish?
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I think it's popular now for people to dismiss MM (Matt Molloy), but really he's essential listening if you're looking to see "what is possible with the Irish flute." His first album (the black album) titled simply "Matt Molloy" is a classic and is just flute and bouzouki. His second one, "The Heathery Breeze" is equally brilliant, and the other essential one in my opinion is the recording he did with Sean Keane, "Contentment is Wealth." His style has spawned hundreds of imitators, but it's worth going back and listening to him as a reference to get the real thing. People will still be listening to Molloy 100 years from now, no doubt.

Other suggestions include Conal O'Grada's "The Top of Coom," another must-have for any flute player's collection. Any of Harry Bradley's albums would fit the bill as well; the man's a genius and has one of the most distinctive flute styles you'll hear today. Seamus Tansey's early recordings and anything by Catherine McEvoy would also be important to have. Kevin Crawford's "In Good Company" etc....There are many others to recommend...if you do a search or browse through this forum you'll find other threads here where people have mentioned their favorite flute players and recordings.

Also if you want to go further afield to see what can be done with the "Irish flute," get any of Jean-Michel Veillon's recordings.
monkey587
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by monkey587 »

bradhurley wrote:I think it's popular now for people to dismiss MM (Matt Molloy), but really he's essential listening if you're looking to see "what is possible with the Irish flute." His first album (the black album) titled simply "Matt Molloy" is a classic and is just flute and bouzouki. His second one, "The Heathery Breeze" is equally brilliant, and the other essential one in my opinion is the recording he did with Sean Keane, "Contentment is Wealth." His style has spawned hundreds of imitators, but it's worth going back and listening to him as a reference to get the real thing. People will still be listening to Molloy 100 years from now, no doubt.

Other suggestions include Conal O'Grada's "The Top of Coom," another must-have for any flute player's collection. Any of Harry Bradley's albums would fit the bill as well; the man's a genius and has one of the most distinctive flute styles you'll hear today. Seamus Tansey's early recordings and anything by Catherine McEvoy would also be important to have. Kevin Crawford's "In Good Company" etc....There are many others to recommend...if you do a search or browse through this forum you'll find other threads here where people have mentioned their favorite flute players and recordings.

Also if you want to go further afield to see what can be done with the "Irish flute," get any of Jean-Michel Veillon's recordings.
How's that CD of Molloy, Keane, and O'Flynn? I saw it recently but budget limitations led me to leave it behind. I ended up with PJ Crotty's CD with Tom Cullinan instead, which I'd recommend here. I also ended up with "Music from Coleman Country Revisited," which I'd recommend very strongly for its great tracks of Peter Horan and Seamus Tansey on flute and Jim Donoghue on whistle, as well as Tansey's amusingly eccentric track introductions...
William Bajzek