The voting thread (U.S.)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The voting thread (U.S.)

Post by peeplj »

I thought it would be neat to have a thread where we can post that we've voted in the U.S. 2006 midterm election.

Shan and I both voted early, so we're done for this election.

No need to put who or what you voted for...for this thread, that doesn't matter.

Thanks for voting, and thanks for caring.

And to our friends who live in other lands and on other shores, please ignore this thread and forgive us our American idiosyncrasies.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Thanks for reminding me! I'm making a note right now to paste in my schedule book . . . and I'll have to take off from work early . . .
Denny

Post by Denny »

okay....done :)
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I voted a week or so ago -- on paper, so my vote might actually count.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I completed/returned my absentee ballot last week.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Come on all you Merkin democrats - vote early and vote often! :lol:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

doin' it tomorrow...was to lazy to do it early :D
Figured me an' a buddy can wait in line with lawn chairs and a case of Molson on ice...make a day of it. :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I voted oct. 23rd, the first day early voting was available.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Mailed mine this morning, helped my blind friend vote and mailed his this afternoon. My husband mailed his ballot a few days ago, and he helped his mother and mailed hers. So we are all done.

One more day of muting the TV during the campaign ads and changing the radio stations when they come on and deleting the junk e-mail and throwing away the junk mail and erasing the messages from my answering machine!
Charlene
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I'll vote tomorrow, but the papers here have been whining about long lines and waits, so I'm afraid they've scared off a lot of people. I dread the new electronic voting machines and I have a friend who is absolutely convinced, without any shadow of a doubt, that there will be cheating, fraud, and screwed up elections because of the electronic voting. I have to say, after reading an article in the paper today, that I'm nervous about it too. According to some election judges here, Diebold refuses to answer questions, won't help in any way whatsoever...basically said, "Here are the machines. You're on your own." What a mess!

Susan
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I'm usually gung-ho for all things technological--those of you who know what I do professionally understand that I come by that pretty honestly--but I would not cry a single tear if all of the electronic voting machines everywhere were simply melted into slag and we went back to 100% paper ballets and locked ballet boxes kept under armed guard.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I found out that my voting place is right across the street so I eschewed absentee, my regular method. Then I read in the paper that people in my area were given incorrect polling places. I won't find out till the morning but I am confident I can find where the actual place is if it was a mistake.

We Californians have a huge ballot this year, an absentee requires two stamps to mail. So tonight, I am going back over the long list of tiresome propositions.

Will report tomorrow what happened.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Tomorrow in Diamond Bar. I'm looking forweard to it

Having seen some morning shows on Fox TV, some large busted young lady will come on and say something like "Your entrpid reporter/voter will report...but a break now, with a report on Shilo Pitt...."

GRRR
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I agree that paper and locked ballot box , while not without problems, would make me feel better. There are some things that should not keep up with technology.

I'll go vote after work tomorrow. I always vote.
My husband, who lives and breathes politics, is like a kid on Christmas Eve.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

The Weekenders wrote:We Californians have a huge ballot this year, an absentee requires two stamps to mail.
I thought absentee ballots had prepaid postage. At least the one I get does, but as the prepaid postage is only good within the US it doesn't help me any...