Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh and Mick O'Brien

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brazenkane »

tommykleen wrote:
misterpatrick wrote:Great clip. Kitty Lie Over is also in my top five.
It was a favorite allright...what I remember of it. I thought it was sooo great that I lended it out to someone, not sure who. Probably some fiddler I wanted to convince to tune down.

I do have Seven Years of Listening to fall back on. Much of KLO is on that double cd, and more.

T
tune down, or Turn down?

;-)
billh

Post by billh »

misterpatrick wrote:Well it wasn't me. I've got my own copy. But that's not why I'm posting this. Just wanted to say that Flash 8 is actually a good free update to get as the video quality is much better. In fact, things have gotten so much better that I'll be re-encoding the tionol videos (Power, D'Arcy, Cannady... the list goes on) on the GNIPC site to full-sized soon....
Please don't.... at least not yet. There's already waay too much stuff on the web that's only available to Windows users. Flash 8 isn't even going to be released for Linux at all (but Flash 9 eventually will, apparently)

Bill
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Really? I'm on a Mac. The only other alternative for quality video online seems to be Real Video, and people seem to have more problems with that than Flash. YouTube, MySpace etc are all based on a Flash player. I'll keep my eye on things as Flash 9 is supposed to be out soon.
L42B

Post by L42B »

Hi Misterpatrick, in regards to your problems on the Mac; Flash is a local Macintosh program made by Mmacromedia. You should be able to download Flash for free from http://www.apple.com, do a search and you should come up with it. How old is your Mac? Normally OSX would automatically install Flash Player during the installation process.

I really like Teampall an Gbleamnain set, when played properly it has a nice swing to it; something you can really fell like getting up and skipping too. This set (especially the last tune) to me is the link between Celtic Ireland and Scottland and the Nordic countries. I remember going to Norway years ago and hearing a tune simmilar to the last one played on fiddle.

Cheers L42B :)
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Thanks for the tips. I think you missed the thread a bit though, while I am on a Mac, I'm not having any problems. The problems were with Marcomedia/Adobe's lack of support for linux with Flash 8 and files encoded using Flash 8. I was planning on encoding the files on the GNIPC.org site using the newer encoders as the results are smaller in size and of superior quality. I will however keep a backup in a second format for those who are unable to view the newer codices.

Now I just need to find some time to do this.

Supposedly they (Macromedia/Adobe) will be releasing the Flash 9 player for Linux any day now.
patrick Jacob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by patrick Jacob »

Evertjan, Bedankt voor de link
Groeten
Patrick
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Is Caoimhin still apprenticed to Geoff Wooff or has he started making pipes in his own right ??
PJ
billh

Post by billh »

PJ wrote:Is Caoimhin still apprenticed to Geoff Wooff or has he started making pipes in his own right ??
My understanding is that he was never 'apprenticed' to Geoff in the usual sense of the word. Geoff gave him some tips, all right.

He is not currently making pipes (or was not when last I spoke to him). Not sure if he still has the tools or not.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

It's definitely not Caoimhín's "thing". Though he told me that a few decent chanters were made. He'd much prefer to fiddle around the globe.
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
L42B

Post by L42B »

For all of those out there that thought Scottish Smallpipes wernt welcome in sessions (;)); Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh and Mick O'Brien can be seen playing with smallpipes along with a session and singers. It is a great clip and I'm sure you'll be humming it for the rest of the day. Thankyou to 'ChanterDan' for orriginaly posting the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0duWK6YSZE.

Cheers L42B :)
PS: What is the last tune in the set. It's also played on the Chieftains "Water from the Well", CD.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Abair Ceilidh!

That's quite a crowd...Allan MacDonald on Smallpipes, his brother Iain on whistle, Mick & Caoimhín, of course...Think the other fiddler is Allan Henderson...Rona Lightfoot, Tríona Ní Dhomnaill, Mary Ann Kennedy (who looks visibly bored...). Fun stuff.

I quite enjoyed watching "Ceòl Tacsi" when I lived in Scotland and I caught a few episodes of "Sruth Na Maoile" on TG4 when I lived in Ireland. Glad there are more programs like that being made.

But forget about all that. What all of you NEED to see is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYA_fKuBTaw&NR

Chris Ormston playing "Cuckold Come Out of the Amery" on Northumbrian pipes. I'm not ashamed to say that I damn near wet myself...
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Holy crap! There's a whole gaggle of Chris Ormston videos on YouTube! That totally made my day.

He does a nice version of "Lark in the Morning" in one of them. Certainly seems to have the tight fingering down pretty well... :D
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Chris Who? Who made his pipes? Weirdest looking set of uilleann pipes I've ever seen! :wink: Are these the pipes Seamus Ennis spoke of that the little fairy man played the Gold Ring on for him? :o

Saw "Me, Myself & Irene" again last night. That Jim Carey! :lol: :twisted:

PD.
L42B

Post by L42B »

The Sporting Pitchfork
That's quite a crowd...Allan MacDonald on Smallpipes, his brother Iain on whistle, Mick & Caoimhín, of course...Think the other fiddler is Allan Henderson...Rona Lightfoot, Tríona Ní Dhomnaill, Mary Ann Kennedy (who looks visibly bored...). Fun stuff.
There's another link (I know this is getting off-topic) posted on this forum to do with the Both Band. Excellent musicians, they are listening to eachother; but the electricity that was once there between musicians has disappeared. It must have been recorded in the last days of the group being together. Matt Molloy (unlike the later Chieftains DVD's) and Paddy Keenan look as if playing in the group has become a chore rather than an enjoyable job:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOrReDJEpNQ (thanks for the link PJ)

Cheers L42B :D
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I think we need a youtoub index for all the clips that are present-just a thought