New Healy Flute (Provocative Pictures)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

springrobin wrote:Oh, come on guys. Quite trying to demystify the stuff! Seriously, I have always admired the silverwork of bagpipe mounts and wondered why we don't see it in flutes.
Elves. Some are big and Sicilian, but they're still elves, very secretive about their work. Jon C. has one that lives under the sink.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

springrobin wrote:Oh, come on guys. Quite trying to demystify the stuff!
:lol: Quite right, we should keep these "Dark Arts" undercover and unexplained. :wink:

Seriously, I have always admired the silverwork of bagpipe mounts and wondered why we don't see it in flutes.
I'd say it's largely due to the cost involved with having someone (highly skilled) do this work by hand.

Also, I suspect, because many of today's "trad" players seem to want the basic, plain and simple (beautiful in it's own way) look. Decorative engraving is not completely uncommon in Boehm flute world, but that's a different crowd all together - You're not likely to see many trad players going for the Diamond encrusted endcap route, if you see what I mean. :wink:

Still, I'm a huge fan of tasteful (in the eye of the beholder, of course), well designed and executed hand engraving. I'd love to learn the craft, and hope to, at some point. Hey Skip, Jimmy doesn't happen to live in Beantown does he? Geeze, it's such a shame to see these few remaining "old school/old world" craftsmen going on with no one to pass their knowledge to :(

Well, at least we have the "Young Turks", like Lindsey to watch, and learn from. Not that most of us could afford having the likes of him work on our flutes though.......

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Chiffed wrote: Elves. Some are big and Sicilian, but they're still elves, very secretive about their work. Jon C. has one that lives under the sink.
:lol: I won't tell him if you won't, Jon!

Loren
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

[Also, I suspect, because many of today's "trad" players seem to want the basic, plain and simple (beautiful in it's own way) look. Decorative engraving is not completely uncommon in Boehm flute world, but that's a different crowd all together - You're not likely to see many trad players going for the Diamond encrusted endcap route, if you see what I mean.}

Your last name doesn't have to be Galway to have a little extra. I've often wondered if folks like this might do something with flute rings:
http://www.celtarts.com/mounts.htm
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Indeed Robin, that could be done for flutes. I can't say for certain on the pieces you linked to, but typically, that sort of thing is either cast (many of the celtic knotwork rings you see with these sorts of patterns are cast, because it's cheaper to make the pattern once, then have it copied via casting) or if each piece is actually hand made, then the patterns are "relief engraved", which means the engraving technique is used to remove the areas of metal around the design, rather than cutting the design into the metal. This is what gives the impression that the knotwork, dragons, etc. are raised.

This sort of work, done by hand, would tend to be rather expensive, although a maker could easily enough have cast pieces made for each section of his own flutes, and then offer these sorts of bands as an option - the upside being the price would be reasonable for the upgrade to cast bands, with the downside being that you wouldn't get something personalized.

Thanks for posting that link. Personally, after having worked for a couple of years doing straight production work - making the same design instruments over, and over, hundreds of times - my desire is to do work that has more, dare I say "artistic" variation, so I enjoy seeing this sort of work. It does seem that., with a few exceptions (Noy, Wilkes, Healy, the occasional cast keyed Acanthus replica Grinter) there's not much going on with regards to decorative/ornamental work on "Irish" flutes at the moment, but again, I can't help thinking this is more a matter of demand, rather than anything else. I could be wrong on that though, I could very well be wrong on that.

Loren
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Celtic knots are definitely a great way to go.
I believe Casey B had such silver work on rings,
at least a few years ago, but I see no sign
of this on his site now.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I have pretty silver work on my Doyle flute....

M :party:
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Loren wrote:
Chiffed wrote: Elves. Some are big and Sicilian, but they're still elves, very secretive about their work. Jon C. has one that lives under the sink.
:lol: I won't tell him if you won't, Jon!

Loren
Does Jon's elf subcontract to 7-year olds in Uzbekihurguflostamstan?
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.