Whistle exercices

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hydromel89
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle exercices

Post by hydromel89 »

Hello,

I am new to the whistle world and I am already concerned with finger speed and how to improve it.

Can anyone give me advice on how to improve my speed and coordination (except by keeping playing of course)? Any special exercise I can practice?

Thank you.

Pascal.
Silvano

Re: Whistle exercices

Post by Silvano »

hydromel89 wrote:Hello,

I am new to the whistle world and I am already concerned with finger speed and how to improve it.

Can anyone give me advice on how to improve my speed and coordination (except by keeping playing of course)? Any special exercise I can practice?

Thank you.

Pascal.
You can find some proposals in this topics:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ight=speed
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ight=speed

Cheers Silvano
--- A whistle a day keeps bad thoughts away ---
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Playing is the best exercise. You might try taking a difficult passage from a tune you like and playing it very slowly. Keep repeating it, playing it a bit faster each time.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
lichatt

Post by lichatt »

Wilsing

Post by Wilsing »

Brewerpaul is exactly correct. This is the best method. By practicing

very slowly, we eliminate mistakes, build up a solid technique, which in

turn, goes into our muscle memory. Using this method encourages the

best results. As my bagpipe instructor Ian McClellan told me years ago,

"Practice SLOWLY and OFTEN"

-James

A Stor Mo Chroi
NoMattch

Post by NoMattch »

You might want to try taking an intermidiate piece and disecting it into very small, managable segments. Then get the segments down and build speed with them. Some tunes have difficult 'A' and 'B' parts and it isn't enough (at least for me) to learn 'A' first...then 'B'. I like to break them up into 'A1', 'A2', 'A3', 'A4' etc...then tie them together when I have them all down well.
Tia

Post by Tia »

also just playing scales will help, going from lowest to highest note, first slowly then start going faster as it becomes easier.
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Play a lot!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Other than the sage advice given above, the only exercise I've ever been advised to do and have done at times are rolls up and down the scale in both octaves.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

Thank you for all your interesting advices.
I actually found two related topics on this forum I've never been through (thank you for pointing them out also).

If I would sum up the situation :

1. start playing slowly, then increase the speed once a tune is "mastered" at a given speed;
2. isolate and do specific work on especially difficult passages;
3. watch out for too long training sessions (not longer than 20 minutes or so);
4. watch out for excessive finger pressure and relax;
5. and of course practice on a regular basis.

I will keep them in mind and watch for additionnal advices... and hopefully my own improvements ;-)

Thanks again.

Pascal.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Pascal - looking quickly at your list, just two points. First, there are no laws and while practicing more than 20 minutes at a shot may bring diminishing returns, you may at times just get into a really enjoyable groove for a good deal longer - do that when you feel like it too. Second, I would strongly suggest using on occasion a metronome - this will both help you know your progress and will help you to hold the tunes together properly at whatever speeds you've attained at any given point.

Have fun.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
ThorntonRose
antispam: No

Post by ThorntonRose »

Scales -- major and minor.

Rhythm -- quarter notes, 8th notes, 16th notes, triplets, octave jumps, ... mix it up.

Metronome.
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Play with a chromatic tuner. It gives you some truth and honesty about your intonation.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I have heard people talk about the importance of relaxation in playing fast. Make sure you aren't squeezing the whistle. Cover the holes with the minimum pressing down possible. If the note doesn't sound right, don't press harder. Reposition your finger. Constantly be checking yourself for relaxation of your body. It's easy to tense up without even knowing it and that can apparently slow down your fingers as well as lead to other problems. No expert here, just passing on what I have read.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

ThorntonRose wrote:Scales -- major and minor.

Rhythm -- quarter notes, 8th notes, 16th notes, triplets, octave jumps, ... mix it up.

Metronome.
Not just major and minor! If anything, major and dorian for Irish music. But I'd say practice scale runs, arpeggios, pedal notes (gAfAeA, that kinda thing) for every key and mode on the whistle. Or at least major, minor, dorian, and mixolydian.