Williams Workshop

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
chanterdan
antispam: No

Post by chanterdan »

Don't forget Gordon Galloway, he's still turning out nice stuff AFAIK DOES GORDON MAKE FULL SETS,I HAVE ONE HIS CHANTERS IN EBONY,AND ITS A GREAT STICK!! THANKS
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

chanterdan wrote:Don't forget Gordon Galloway, he's still turning out nice stuff AFAIK DOES GORDON MAKE FULL SETS,I HAVE ONE HIS CHANTERS IN EBONY,AND ITS A GREAT STICK!! THANKS

Shhhhhhh!!!! it's quiet time now. :really:
patrick Jacob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by patrick Jacob »

djm wrote:The scuttlebutt that I heard is that the Vallelys are trying to set up a shop to teach pipemaking in Armagh using the stuff from Williams' shop, but they've a few hurdles to overcome first, like insurance. Probably best to contact the Armagh Pipers' club directly to find out what's going on there if you feel you need to know.

djm
Thanks,
I just wrote a mail. Now just waiting for a response.

Patrick
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

"Of your list, Martin K. as far as I know turns out few if any instruments these days, and I believe Cillian is trying to move out of production. Not sure how many hours Robbie or Kevin are spending making uilleann pipes these days either. I think Marty's back at the lathe though.
Don't forget Gordon Galloway, he's still turning out nice stuff AFAIK.´" Bil.

I haven't heard of Gordon Galloway before -does he only make chanters?
I heard a while back that Cillian was only making chanters and supplying reed making material. I think that Martin K/Carrigan only makes chanters and reeds Rowsome chanters.

Does this mean that there is only Bill Haneman, Lorcan Dunne, Michael Dooley, Donncha Keegan, Robbie Hughes, Kevin Thompson, Martin Prenshaw & possibly Caomhin O’Raghallaigh in the whole of Ireland that would take an order for a full set of pipes? Eight pipemakers and Cillian O'Briain & Martin Kerrigan making a chanter now and then.

In England there is Peter Hunter, Chris Bayley and Pat Stones. I think Keith Powell stopped making pipes some time ago.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Mark Donohoe, of Co. Kerry, is making very nice sets. Unfortunately only concert pitch at this time, well the last I asked him, 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. If you like Froment's work but can't get it, Mark is a good alternative. Mark is very affordable too.
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Steampacket wrote:"
In England there is Peter Hunter, Chris Bayley and Pat Stones. I think Keith Powell stopped making pipes some time ago.
In England there is also Marcus Coulter, Tony Hebdon (I think, if we include Cornwall as Ingerland), Brian Howard, Sam Lawrence, Andy Faden, Davy Stephenson, not in any particular order of anything. And I'm sure there are more. Not counting Wales n Scotland of course.
billh

Post by billh »

Sorry, I didn't mean to forget Donncha and Mark. Maybe Michael Vignoles is still active, I don't know. I don't think Gordon G. or Mickey Dunne are making regs yet but I could be mistaken.

It's true that there aren't many of us, but even so, probably there are more of us at the moment than ever before.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

billh wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to forget Donncha and Mark. Maybe Michael Vignoles is still active, I don't know. I don't think Gordon G. or Mickey Dunne are making regs yet but I could be mistaken.

It's true that there aren't many of us, but even so, probably there are more of us at the moment than ever before.
Hi Bill

One of the pipers in the Glasgow Pipers club has a Galloway half set and has asked Gordon about regs for the set.
The reply that he got, was that regs were under development at the moment, but that Galloway was not yet happy with the design as yet.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

BigDavy wrote:.....regs were under development at the moment, but that Galloway was not yet happy with the design as yet.

David
Yeah, they probably needed a rush!

;-)
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

they probably needed a rush!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nice one

Tommy
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"the Vallelys are trying to set up a shop to teach pipemaking in Armagh using the stuff from Williams' shop, but they've a few hurdles to overcome first, like insurance." djm

Who will be teaching, guesting pipemakers? I forgot to mention there is also Finbar McLaughlin in Derry who makes sets now and then. Are there any other pipemakers besides Finbar and Robbie Hughes in the north of Ireland?

Does the Armagh Pipers club also have Dave William's notes and measurements and his order book? Dave was particular about documentation and his writings and knowledge would have a historic worth in years to come.
djm

Post by djm »

Steampacket wrote:Who will be teaching, guesting pipemakers? I forgot to mention there is also Finbar McLaughlin in Derry who makes sets now and then. Are there any other pipemakers besides Finbar and Robbie Hughes in the north of Ireland?

Does the Armagh Pipers club also have Dave William's notes and measurements and his order book? Dave was particular about documentation and his writings and knowledge would have a historic worth in years to come.
This was already answered. The people who know all this are the Vallelys. Contact the Armagh Pipers' Club if you want these details.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

djm wrote:
Steampacket wrote:Who will be teaching, guesting pipemakers? I forgot to mention there is also Finbar McLaughlin in Derry who makes sets now and then. Are there any other pipemakers besides Finbar and Robbie Hughes in the north of Ireland?

This was already answered. The people who know all this are the Vallelys. Contact the Armagh Pipers' Club if you want these details.

djm
:-? :-? :-? Where is it answered?? David I think ye are being a bit harsh on Thomas :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"This was already answered. The people who know all this are the Vallelys. Contact the Armagh Pipers' Club if you want these details." djm.

Pay attention!!! - the Valleys are not pipemakers as far as I know, so I wonder who will be teaching
:boggle:
patrick Jacob

Post by patrick Jacob »

Hi,
I still got no answer from the Armagh Pipers club. I let you know what the answer will be. If I ever get one.....
Patrick