Differences of O'Brien Rover and Burke (tonal, volume, etc)?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Unseen122 wrote:One of my favorites too, but I always play it with a third part.
The name of that tune is "Over the Moor to Maggie," and to compare the sounds of the whistles, here's how we play it in session, on an O'Brien narrow-bore brass D:

http://www.flutesite.com/obrien/obrien_maggie.mp3

Best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
dapple

Post by dapple »

The name of that tune is "Over the Moor to Maggie
Thanks for the name of the tune, James.
~ David
Tweeto

Post by Tweeto »

Unseen122 wrote:All Burke Black tips have a Delrin windway, the brass or aluminum is only on the outside.
So you're saying that even the ceiling of Burke's windway is delrin?

As for the comparison of Sweetheart Pro and Burke brass that I requested, I was actually referring to their tonal (and intonation) differences. Is the Sweetheart Pro as "pure" sounding as the Burke brass?
Check out: Folding@Home!
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

So you're saying that even the ceiling of Burke's windway is delrin?
This is true of both my Burke Al-Pro D and my narrow bore brass D.

The only Burke I am aware of where this is not true is the wide bore brass D. I have only made in 2000 and it's a fine whistle, notwithstanding a metal-roofed windway.

--James

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

The DASBT that I once had did and the Bb Brass I have does. The sound is very different, if you are looking for pure the Burke is a better choice. The Sweetheart is very woody and a bit rough sounding.
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

Avery is right, these are very good, but very different whistles. Especially to the player.

Surprisingly, much of the complex sound you hear while playing a Sweetheart seems to disappear when you are listening several feet away. (And that's where your audience will want to be. It's that loud.)

The Sweetheart is the best outdoor whistle I have seen. No condensation to speak of even when it's near freezing. Amazing performance in windy conditions. But I don't play it inside much and when I do, I dig out earplugs.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
scheky

Post by scheky »

My WBB from 2000 has the delrin bottom / brass top as described. Honestly though, I don't remember having any clogging issues with it.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

scheky wrote:My WBB from 2000 has the delrin bottom / brass top as described. Honestly though, I don't remember having any clogging issues with it.
I bought mine second-hand via Ebay.

It clogged horribly until I thoroughly cleaned it.

Then it clogged only badly until I cleaned the windway with waxed dental floss.

I haven't had any clogging problems with it since then: none at all.

It's a fine whistle, one of a small handful of my very favorites.

--James

-------
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I use my Sweetheart in big sessions, when it gets to be around 10 I put my Busman away and take out the Sweetheart.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Ah, so the Sweetheart goes to 11. :D

Jason