What's your favorite low F and why?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

What's your favorite low F and why? I am looking towards the less expensive end of things, by the way. No copelands this time.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Overton.
Why ask why?
Chris
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Because from what I know about overtons I wouldn't want one, and here is your big change to change my mind!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

What is it that you know that makes you feel you wouldn't want an Overton Low F?

Loren
DavidSchulz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DavidSchulz »

Don't fight it Ava, get the Overton Low F.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Another vote for Overton Low F.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Ava, ava... Why ask? The best Low F is... SUSATO! YEAHHHHH!!!!!!

<joking> (just to be sure...)
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

But no one is saying WHY an overton F is good. describe it.

Better yet, lend me one, haha.
jackorion

Post by jackorion »

I have one. It's simply a great whistle. But on the same token, it's the only F I have played so I can't compare.

You need to do an archive search. There has been tons of words written on the low F whistle, and not just Overtons.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I have done the comparisons. I sold a Copeland Low F because my Burke composite Low F played better. It is free-blowing and has a lovely tone. I find Overtons incredibly difficult in the upper octave. I recommend a Burke composite.

Jessie
jackorion

Post by jackorion »

BTW, Loren looks like Avanutria is catching up on posts, which doesn't help to explain the questions posted.
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

On 2002-09-25 22:16, jackorion wrote:
You need to do an archive search. There has been tons of words written on the low F whistle, and not just Overtons.
I tried. When I searched for "low F" in quotes I got no hits, and when I searched for low F without quotes I got every post that had the word "low" and an f in it. Even if the F was in a word.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong. Sorry folks, it's been a rough week for me lately. :sad:
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Woops. I meant Susato. My bad.
Chris
Tradgirl

Post by Tradgirl »

Tradman's Chieftain F!!! I'm lovin it. And I am soon to get one. :grin: It sounds so beautiful and it has a lot of chiff when i play it. It's simply wonderful with me!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tradgirl on 2002-09-25 22:35 ]</font>
jackorion

Post by jackorion »

Yup, I see what your saying. Archives can be hard to navigate. OK real quick, why I like my Overton Alto F. Overtones a plenty, the finger holes are large and feel good, slides and other tricks of the trade work very well, in other words the whistle is responsive. Great tone that is easy to manipulate dependinging on how you blow, and it is in tune. Construction wise it's solid as a rock, and did I mention tone? Oh yeah it can be a quiet or as loud as you'd like. I have no problems with the 2 octaves, in the third I have to play loud.