Classical Flute in Trad Style

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jim Troy
antispam: No

Post by Jim Troy »

perhaps you two should go get a room .

i'll come along and watch , maybe play a bar or two of The Bolero ..
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Hey, this is a family forum! Lisping and bolero
corrupt the youth.

Wait a minute...can I play bolero?
Stay tuned. Back presently.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Many years back (1980's?) I was asked to give a little talk to the local early music society about the wooden flute. They mostly comprised recorder and keyboard players. I make the occasional 1-key baroque flute, but I don't play it convincingly, so I was able to demonstrate one, but when it came to the end I used a medium holed Irish style flute to play a closing piece with my friend on the harpsichord. We had practiced up a suite by a French composer - can't remember who - but I do remember it ended in a lovely gigue. After the item, all the players in the audience rushed up to see what wonderful new edition we were playing from - "such life, such verve" - only to be dissapointed to find it was the same regular edition they played from. I suddenly realised that we had played the gigue like a jig. Makes you wonder ....

Wasn't Pete Seegar a leader in snitching back cute classical pieces for folk instruments? I seem to remember hearing him play J.S. Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" on the 5-string banjo as the "Jumping Jesus Jig".

Terry
Jim Troy

Post by Jim Troy »

Jumping Jesus Jig ? i'll have that one . ( 1980 , ouch ! i just turned around to look at something , and hey , where'd the time go ?)
i'll be playing at a Mass next Easter , and i look forward to sliding that one in at the "pleased to meet you" moment .

Jim , how's the Bolero going ? could you maybe play it as a fling , for the dancers ?
i can see it being a good one for an English country dance , like The Miller's ?
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

"Gigue" = "Jig" ???

Mere coincidence or entomological connection?

Debate.

;-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Cathy Wilde wrote:"Gigue" = "Jig" ???

Mere coincidence or entomological connection?

Debate.

;-)
And then update.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigue
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denny

Post by Denny »

and yet another brilliant debate bites the dust.
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

WikiPedia - the Walmart of Knowledge
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Denny

Post by Denny »

ya just gotta love this millennium!
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:boggle: Holy mackerel, you mean I was actually right about something (or at least right according to Wiki)?

:-D Cool.

But alas, I was so in the mood for random conjecture today.

THUS .... in light of Jim's original question, I have been thinking about 'classical' mazurkas. I imagine that might be a good area to look for more trad interpretations, being slower and pretty and all .... hey, 'polkas, schottisches and waltzes' as Snoopy once said, it's all dance music whether a composer borrowed or cribbed from some local music and incorporated it into his suite or whether a guy's busking it on the corner ....

I was listening to Nomos ('Set You Free' -- Lordy, Nomos were great) on the way into work today and you know that last little track they have; just Niall and guitar (and then some brushes to get a bit jazzy) -- if there was another band that could get the nuances perfectly, my money would be on Niall and the gang.

Oooh, random blatherings. Sorry. Back to work.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.