oiling = better sound?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

oiling = better sound?

Post by Bretton »

I've got a new flute that I was having trouble hitting the low E and D notes on. I had a friend play it who's been playing flute for many years, and she agreed that the lowest couple of notes were weak.

She felt the inside of the bore and said, "Oh, you need to oil it. The bore should be shiny. Try that and see if it's better."

I did, and it is. The low E and D are now noticeably stronger.

Is this something others have noticed? Anyone know why oiling the bore would do this?

-Brett
Denny

Post by Denny »

it may have sealed a small leak.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Denny wrote:it may have sealed a small leak.
Ditto!
Check the head cork, it may be leaking. Check this by doing a suck test on the head joint- close off the slide end with your palm and suck all the air out in the head and see if it will hold. I also depends on what kind of wood the flute is made from, and how rough the bore is. But mostly you will find that leaks cause the E and low D to be weak.
Good luck!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Sylvester
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sylvester »

A new flute may have some wood dust inside. I still find my swab stained in my 6 months Murray. Regular swabbing and oliling (apart from other important benefits) cleans and polishes the flute slowly and turns the bore shiny and more even than just finished, allowing the air stream flowing more fluently across the flute.

An easy way to check any leaks is covering all holes even the bottom and the foot ones and blowing a puff of cigarette smoke into the embouchure tightly. If it leaks, the smoke will certainly show you where it comes from.

Easy, but a bit disgusting too if you aren't a smoker. The flute will loose that smell in some days.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I agree--it's possible the oil sealed a small leak.

Although I've noticed flutes do have a bit different tone and response after oiling, particularly on the lowest notes.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Absolutely.

It's said that our dear Matt Molloy likes to oil his flutes slightly just before a concert.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
smoro

Post by smoro »

May be that´s Matt´s secret! :D
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

So, what kind of oil would be best to use?

JUST KIDDING!

Thanks for the comments.

I will try a "suck test on the head joint" when I get home tonight.

:lol:

The flute is new, blackwood, pretty smooth bore from what I can see.

-Brett
Dana

Post by Dana »

Sylvester wrote: An easy way to check any leaks is covering all holes even the bottom and the foot ones and blowing a puff of cigarette smoke into the embouchure tightly. If it leaks, the smoke will certainly show you where it comes from.
:P :P :P

That reminds me of my high school band director. He was a flute player, and liked to try out our flutes. He was an avid coffee drinker, and smoked (plus had halitosis). You had to clean your headjoint with listerine before you could play it again.

Dana
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Was he a good player, at least?
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Sounds like a real suck head.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Dana

Post by Dana »

Sylvester wrote::lol:
Was he a good player, at least?
So so... :P
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

I would have quitted the band earlier... :P
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Bretton wrote:So, what kind of oil would be best to use?

JUST KIDDING!

Thanks for the comments.

I will try a "suck test on the head joint" when I get home tonight.

The flute is new, blackwood, pretty smooth bore from what I can see.

-Brett

I'd agree with the leak assesment.

Did you mention if this was a keyed or keyless flute? If it's keyed, I'd suspect a keypad leak first and foremost, unless you've got an obviously loose socket or tenon. If it's keyless, it's likely either the headjoint cork, a socket tennon joint leak, or possibly even a tone hole leak - I've seen keyless flutes that had a tiny chip out of the tone hole edge, small enough that previous owners didn't notice it, but large enough that it could (and did) cause at least occasional leaking between the finger pad and tone hole edge. We're talking small here, about 1mm across, but deep enough into the tone hole edge that air could escape.

Loren
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I always oil mine before a gig or some other major playing event (especially the boxwood flute). I mean, why wouldn't you?

If it's keyed, Bretton, I'm willing to bet money you've got a leak in your short F or Eb (or your C# or C if it's an 8-key) key. If it's unkeyed, I'd bet on your tenon.

Here's my general diagnostics checklist .....

1) Try wrapping some hair elastics on some of those lower key cups (not too tight as you don't want to bend the key). If the tone improves there's a good chance a pad's not seating properly or a spring's out of adjustment. Your local repairer can probably fix that; there's also a good guy in Indianapolis

2) Teflon tape on the tenons; see if that improves things

3) Take the flute and a friend into a dark closet; stop up the ends, and shine a flashlight inside THE FLUTE to check for cracks (though this works most easily on headjoints because the toneholes diffuse things)

4) When you're playing it for a while -- long enough to let condensation build up -- watch for drips or a little streak of moisture somewhere on the outside. That often suggests a crack, or perhaps a leak at the joint.

5) Check the tuning cork

6) If you've got a tuning slide, check to make sure that's not leaky or doesn't have stray oil wandering around on it. Wipe it with a clean cloth and see what happens; then try a few swipes with the beeswax/almond oil block which can sometimes tighten things up in a pinch.

Hope that helps!!! :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.