musical leaf

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Lambchop wrote:
djm wrote:(Actually, I wouldn't. Fish parasites are particularly nasty.)
Sigh. Must we go over this again? Sushi is not raw fish. It is rice, veggies, and maybe -- not definitely, just maybe -- cooked seafood or even chicken, served with a sauce you mix up from soy sauce and wasabi (it's hot). Often served with pickled ginger slices.

One of my favorites is avocado, cucumber, and carrot matchsticks, wrapped in sticky rice.

Another is romaine, carrot, and cucumber, with cooked shrimp in a nearly transparent spring roll wrapper.

Sashimi is the kind with raw fish. Here, anyway. Bleah.
No, no, no, NO. Properly, sushi is defined by the presence of the seasoned rice. That's all. Period. It takes many outward forms, and you can have the other stuff be anything, practically, including veggies and sweetened omelettes, and raw seafood is most common. Eel, and most shrimp, except for ama-ebi, are cooked. Trust me on this. I've had it in Japan and it was no different than what you'll get in the Twin Cities. One of the earliest forms of sushi is the simple tekka-maki, which is just a strip of raw tuna inside the seasoned rice wrapped in nori seaweed sheets and cut into those nice little modular forms we associate so typically with the idea of "sushi". It's sushi, all right.

Sashimi is simply an arranged selection of slices of raw fish and shellfish all by their straightforward, uncomplicated selves, aside from any condiments. No rice, unless it's a bowl of regular unseasoned rice on the side; but it's not necessarily served that way.

I've never had chicken sushi, but per the rules of the game, there's no reason for it to not be a possibility.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Lambchop wrote:Sashimi is the kind with raw fish
Now, LC, please stop and consider for a moment: when was the last time you saw an over-dressed fish sashimi across the room? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:
Lambchop wrote:Sashimi is the kind with raw fish
Now, LC, please stop and consider for a moment: when was the last time you saw an over-dressed fish sashimi across the room? :boggle:

djm
:lol:

Looks like I'll have to bow to Nano's superior trans-cultural knowledge.

Sushi is yummy, by the way. I think you'd like it. It's a good snack--sticky rice with, yes, a little vinegar, the salty dried seaweed wrap (kind of like dried lettuce, not much flavor), the veggie bits inside, and maybe some sesame seeds. Soy sauce and wasabi are salty-hot, so it's a fun combination.

Kind of a portable salad.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Here's another trans-cultural tidbit or two on The Way of Sushi for you: traditionally, green tea, not sake, is the recommended drink. Beer is the next, and very popular, traditional choice. Sake's sort of a latecomer to the dance, probably due to Western delight in exotic things like heated rice wine.

The reason for tea is a practical one: every now and then you get a whopper dose of wasabi, and a quick sip of the tea takes care of the discomfort right away. It's an amazingly fast remedy.

Diehard sushi geeks eat with their fingers, although just about everyone uses chopsticks, anyway. There are even special terms in the sushi cult for the rice and soy sauce, and such. I can only remember that the rice is called "shari" (meaning the bits of bone from cremated remains of Buddhist saints! :o ), and soy sauce is referred to as "murasaki" (meaning "purple", in reference to the deep color of the condiment).

Speaking of feasting on raw flesh, you haven't lived until you've had basashi.

http://sushi.textamerica.com/details/?r=854532

It's delicious. :twisted:
Last edited by Nanohedron on Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote:Speaking of feasting on raw flesh, you haven't lived until you've had basashi.

So Nano, I take it you've lived?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

emmline wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Speaking of feasting on raw flesh, you haven't lived until you've had basashi.

So Nano, I take it you've lived?
I have, indeed. Horrid thing that I am.
djm

Post by djm »

Lambchop wrote:Sushi is yummy, by the way. I think you'd like it.
Hmm, I'm not much of a cold food person. More of a beef stew with dumplings kinda guy. With winter arriving a month early up here this year, its more sustaining.
Nano wrote:you haven't lived until you've had basashi.
Raw meat is not that rare. Haven't you had steak tartar before? Horse meat has always been big with the Europeans. Some interesting stuff on horse consumption on wiki.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:Raw meat is not that rare.
To your average 'Merkin, it is. Especially horseflesh.
djm wrote:Haven't you had steak tartar before?

No, mainly because I've had raw beef in slices, and disliked it very much.
djm wrote:Horse meat has always been big with the Europeans.
Yes, I know. And I'd say there's good culinary reason for it. In the US, anyway, when the quality of one's meat (read "beef") is substandard, accusations of it being horseflesh aren't unknown, when nothing could be further from the truth.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Wow, that leaf-playing is cool!

I had sushi AND beer tonight!!! (My antibiotic is working and I'm pushing my luck.)

:)
~JessieD
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Nanohedron wrote: Speaking of feasting on raw flesh, you haven't lived until you've had basashi.

Looks to me like a very good way to get a healthy dose of e. coli. It has been many, many years since gonzo has partaken of steak tartare (whether bovine or equine), eaten rare hamburgers, or just grabbed a pinch of the uncooked meatloaf before popping it into the oven.

And on the subject of sushi, whether with or without fishies, I much prefer ceviche. There are a gazillion different recipes, but they are usually variations on this theme: fresh sliced raw fish marinated in fresh squeezed lime juice, chopped onions, salt and chili.

I've had it made with white fish, salmon, tuna and shrimp. Some ceviche is made with chunks of octopus and squid and other oceanic nasty bits, but I avoid those because my doctor put me on a low-tentacle diet.

Cevich is at its best when accompanied by quantities of nicely chilled, 15-dollar-a-glass white bordeaux on someone else's bar tab.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I'm still puzzling over what "The covering of a foal" is. It sounds like some sort of birth membrane or fluid.

Anyone know? Denny?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

gonzo914 wrote:Looks to me like a very good way to get a healthy dose of e. coli.
True, true. But it was in Japan, and I placed my trust in their general fastidiousness in such things. No problem, other than I wanted more.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Innocent Bystander wrote:I'm still puzzling over what "The covering of a foal" is. It sounds like some sort of birth membrane or fluid.

Anyone know? Denny?
djm wondered in the other thread Ivy Leaf?
starts at the bottom of the 1st page and continues on.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Denny wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:I'm still puzzling over what "The covering of a foal" is. It sounds like some sort of birth membrane or fluid.

Anyone know? Denny?

Ah yes. After the banter. Yes, I thought "Caul". But Nano's double leaf with Goose-grease sounds like a different creature to the single-leafed approach. Thank you, Denny!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
Denny wrote:

Anyone know? Denny?

Ah yes. After the banter. Yes, I thought "Caul". But Nano's double leaf with Goose-grease sounds like a different creature to the single-leafed approach. Thank you, Denny!
it's that piper thing, eh!
double reed

Ah, I'll let the Goose-grease slide.