Anti-WhOA. Is this normal, Doctor?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Anti-WhOA. Is this normal, Doctor?

Post by WyoBadger »

I've been gradually coming to the conclusion that I play a bit better if I choose one whistle and stick with it, rather than switching around a lot (one whistle for fast stuff, one for slow stuff, another for travel...)

At the moment I've settled on a Dixon trad. For years I basically played nothing but Clarkes, with Hoovers for the "other" keys, but I goofed around with several others. The more whistles I play, the more I realize that each has its own personality to be studied and learned. I can't keep up with all of them.

Maybe I'm just reaching the age where I'm ready to quit playing the field and settle down.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Oh Geeze Tom, you don't want to start talking this sort of stuff around here - just go over to the flute board and look what happened when Gary and I starting saying this sort of thing over there, we nearly got lynched!

Loren
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

No, anti-WhOA is when you give all your whistles away. Preferably to someone in CA. :D
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
patrickh

Major infection

Post by patrickh »

I have a very serious WHOA infection and require immediatle help. I just started playing whistle seriously this summer and bought my first whistle - a Dixon D.

The disease is spreading throughout my system wildly. As a former sufferer who is now cured of MAS (Mandolin Aquisition Syndrome), I thought I would be resisent to this strain of infection but I was wrong. I am in serious trouble. Since the summer, my collection has grown to :

(5) Burkes - NB D - Brass, NB D - Allum, NB C, Session C and D.
(2) Busman (C and D) - a third (Eb) is coming
(1) Seery D
(1) Lon Dubh D
(2) Thin Weasels (C and High G)
(2) Black Diamonds (D and C)
(1) Greenwood (D)
(6) Assorted tweaks (Freeman, O'Briain)
(1) Silkstone D

On the way - Abell C/D set, Rose, Busman Eb, more tweaks (Irvine, Freeman, O'Briain), Humphrey D/C set, Water Weasel.

Really dig the Lon Dubh, Black Diamond C, Freeman Mellow-Dog, O'Briain Eb Feadog (in case you were wondering).

I am feeling slightly better of late. With God's help and a loving and supportive family, I believe help and healing are on the way.
whistlin'fool
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by whistlin'fool »

The best thing to help you out would be this:
Give me your
Lon Dubh D
Rose (when it gets there)
Greenwood

And that should help you out a bit :).

Seriously though, that's a pretty nice collection. You gotta review the Lon Dubh for us, and possibly the Rose. There's already a review of the greenwood on the tinwhistler site. But if you feel like selling some, help out another whistler with a bad case of WhOA
shadeclan

Re: Major infection

Post by shadeclan »

patrickh wrote:I have a very serious WHOA infection and require immediatle help. I just started playing whistle seriously this summer and bought my first whistle - a Dixon D.

The disease is spreading throughout my system wildly. As a former sufferer who is now cured of MAS (Mandolin Aquisition Syndrome), I thought I would be resisent to this strain of infection but I was wrong. I am in serious trouble. Since the summer, my collection has grown to :

(1) Seery D
(1) Lon Dubh D
(1) Greenwood (D)
(1) Silkstone D

On the way - Abell C/D set, Rose, Busman Eb, more tweaks (Irvine, Freeman, O'Briain), Humphrey D/C set, Water Weasel.

Really dig the Lon Dubh, Black Diamond C, Freeman Mellow-Dog, O'Briain Eb Feadog (in case you were wondering).

I am feeling slightly better of late. With God's help and a loving and supportive family, I believe help and healing are on the way.
Holy Piles of Seething Snot, Batman!!! Upwards of 30 whistles in a half a year!!! I'd hate to have your bills!

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but . . . I'm afraid that your WhOA is terminal. :cry:
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Yeah, and those ain't cheap whistles either. :o

I bought 13 whistles in about the same amount of time, but they were all cheapies, except my whitecap (still not expensive) and my Songbird.

Jason
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

You are on to something very real here, Tom. I too played a lot of whistles at first. Whoa was rampant. As I progressed over the years, I found that a few certain makers - and certain whistles within their various ranges - suited me very well. I sold the rest and have used the remaining instruments for quite some time. You can never keep up with all the miniscule improvements by makers, without going broke. Every now and then, something different and special comes along for me, but it is rare...
And that's OK...

Be well.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

patrickh wrote:I have a very serious WHOA infection and require immediatle help. I just started playing whistle seriously this summer and bought my first whistle - a Dixon D.

(1) Seery D
(1) Lon Dubh D
(1) Greenwood (D)
(1) Silkstone D

That's all? There are so many more. :wink:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

(1) Seery D
(1) Lon Dubh D
(1) Greenwood (D)
(1) Silkstone D

I have the cure Patrick but it's painful. Buy yourself a set or two of pipes. Then you'll be so broke you won't even think about whistle acquisiton anymore.

Trust me, I know whereof I speak.

Some believe the flute can be a cure but I have seen many a sad case of FlOA and it's ugly. No, no...it must be the pipes.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
NoMattch

Post by NoMattch »

I've spent many years playing "cheap" whistles (won't dare mention names here :) ). I bought lots of them but only rarely looked to spend any serious cash. That was until I started playing beyond the session with the latest band and I needed more volume and power. So I borrowed from the "don't-use-unless-an-emergency" fund and I've upgraded a lot in the past year or so.
Let me just say that the term "Penny Whistle" is out of date and should be replaced by something more appropriate. :P
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I suspect that for many of us rampant WhOA is an attempt to improve our playing - "surely if I find THE ONE whistle, the problems I have with all my other whistles will disappear". Of course, the real area that needs improving is our playing, but this looks like a quick fix.

I know that when I first started playing, I was always eager to try new whistles. Granted, whistles have different voices, and some are objectively better than others - better in-tune, more balanced between the octaves, less likely to burble on octave switches, etc - but as my playing has improved I find less and less urge to get more whistles to try.

I've still got a long ways to go with my whistling, but I'm to the point now that although I like all the whistles I have, I could get by with just one or two. When I want a traditional sound, I reach for my Humphrey narrow-bore or a Feadog. When I want more volume, I grab a Syn. When I want a breathy tone, I reach for my Serpent Polly. But if I lost them all and I had to start over, I'd be pretty much back in business as soon as I got my hands on any good cheapie.

Last week at Tony Higgins' s C & F party, I took my flutes and all my favorite whistles. At the start of the party, there was a certain amount of show and tell going on. But at the end of the evening, I found that I had spent most of my time playing a Feadog.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I do not have WhoA. I only want the whistles I don't have. :wink:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I still want another whistle, but I have to play it first. No more ordering. The second-to-the-last whistle I bought, I played it first and love it. The last whistle I bought by mail sucked and there was no return option. I don't ever want to do that again.

So my Whoa is mollified by getting out there and finding one. Yes, some new builders have a try and return policy but it doesn't feel the same as just finding one and buying it on the spot. And the ones that I think I might like to own have the waiting list bit....I almost think that a broke-in whistle would be better anyway, especially if made of wood.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I enjoy having many whistles and their many voices.

Over the past couple of years, though, I have become a regular player of Burkes when playing in session, sometimes supplimented with Syns or Susatos or Oaks, just depending on what kind of playing and what kind of sound I was after.

Here lately I've discovered O'Brien whistles, which are good enough they have started to appear at session more at more...fact is, his narrow-bore-brass is just outstanding.

And of course my wife just gave me an Overton for my anniversary, and it is just jaw-dropping--a phenomenally good whistle. I think all the work I've done with learning to control the Susato has done a good job getting me prepared for the Overton.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard