Scotch Single Malt Whisky!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Scotch Single Malt Whisky!

Post by Henke »

That's what this thread is about. Not bourbon, whiskey, blended whisky, lager, stout, what ever. Just Scotch Single Malt Whisky.

What's new for you whisky lovers out there? I know we have quite a few around. What's the latest?

I've been reading and posting on this wonderful website called http://www.whisky-distilleries.info/ . This site is french in origin but has almost everything translated into english. The problem is that there aren't that many english speaking contributors. I find it an exellent site to share your own impressions and tasting notes and read other peoples, so I hope you all check in and start sharing. It has lots of good info as well.
You'll find the notes people has posted in English here: http://www.whisky-distilleries.info/Vos ... e_EN.shtml
I'm the largest contributor, and that does say something (not about me but about the lack of people contributing). So join in, don't be shy. It's good fun and very interesting.

Check out this video from a recent auction
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... lenfiddich
A 750 ml bottle of 64 y.o Glenfiddich was sold at a price of $20'000. Crazy.

And here's Henkes list of whisky's to acquire next:
1: Springbank
2: Lagavulin
3: Edradour
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Lagavulin 16. My prefered Scotch.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Glenmorangie was my favourite for years.
Talisker is good too, but a bit too strong for a regular tipple.
Nothing wrong with Glenfiddich...
Laphroaig very agreeable, but on the strong side.

But I can't make up my mind when I'm in the shops, so I'm back to Bushmills. (Irish).
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

I like Talisker best, Laphroaig is a close second. I used to be a fan of Glenmorangie but it's not "peaty" enough for me. Never liked Glenlivet or Glenfiddich.

But I so rarely drink the stuff that by the time I get through a bottle of 12-year-old single malt, it's close to 20 years old. It can take me 7 or 8 years to finish a bottle, even if I share with friends. I love it but rarely think of drinking it.
djm

Post by djm »

DJ's Bathtub. I make it in an old castiron tub out in the backyard. Last week's brew was pretty good. At least three pigeons flying over it dropped dead out of the sky (I'm going to add three pigeons on the bottom of the label for that batch).

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

One Christmas my sister-in-law sent me a little pack of half-a-dozen "samples" of single malt, in their own bottles. The bottles looked suspiciously similar, apart from the labels. The whiskies were different colours, but that proved nothing.

I carefully cleansed my palate and tasted them together.

There was no difference. They were all the same whisky.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

djm wrote:DJ's Bathtub. I make it in an old castiron tub out in the backyard. Last week's brew was pretty good. At least three pigeons flying over it dropped dead out of the sky (I'm going to add three pigeons on the bottom of the label for that batch).

djm
Does it taste good in Coke?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

When I was a teenager I was babysitting at a house where I noticed they had a bottle of Scotch. I had seen people drinking it in movies and read books where they drank it and I figured it must be some pretty wonderful-tasting stuff.

Although I knew it was very wrong (I have since forgiven myself), I decided I just had to take advantage of the situation to finally find out what Scotch tasted like. So I went in the bathroom (I guess the children were in bed, I hope so!) and poured a small amount in a glass and drank it down. Yow! What shock and pain! What spitting out into the sink and rinsing mouth out! I couldn't believe this was what people loved so much. It hurt! It was worse than the worst medicine I had ever tasted. I was so amazed that this was what people were drinking. Like all those elegant people in the movies, how could they just sit there so calmly sipping this stuff that burned your mouth? I really was intensely puzzled by this but there was no one I could ask without letting on I had sipped some Scotch when I was babysitting. Just another strange mystery of adult behavior.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
bepoq
Tell us something.: I'm just updating my profile. Actually came on to change my signature, which is out of date. I have no idea what 100 characters looks like. Is this enough perhaps?

Post by bepoq »

Brad, you'll just have to start carrying a flask - amazing how much quicker the whisky seems to go then, particularly up north.
djm

Post by djm »

I.D.10-t wrote:Does it taste good in Coke?
Taste? TASTE???? If any part of your mouth is still working you've put in too much Coke. :really:
Cynth wrote:It hurt! It was worse than the worst medicine I had ever tasted.
I can't imagine what it was you tasted. The whole think about Scotch is how smooth, almost tasteless it is, cool and soothing, but with a bit of an aftershock. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I like Glenlivet, though it's certainly not a frequent pleasure because of the price.

--James

Edited to fix the spelling...
Last edited by peeplj on Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
bepoq
Tell us something.: I'm just updating my profile. Actually came on to change my signature, which is out of date. I have no idea what 100 characters looks like. Is this enough perhaps?

Post by bepoq »

May I humbly suggest:

Ardbeg, particularly the ten year old or the Uigedeal expressions. Highest phenolic content of any whisky, ferocious stuff. Been my favourite for a good few years now.

Longrow - the peaty version of Springbank. Absolutely nectar at 14yrs.
By the way, did you know that Springbank is the only distillery to do all their own malting in floor maltings? No computers at their place either. Everything in house the old way. My kind of lads.

Bruichladdich - excellent stuff in a million different expressions. Every time Jim MacEwan makes a cask he likes I think he bottles it. Also I am pro Bruichladdich, because the last time I was there he asked me if I would play a few tunes for some visitors few months back. I knock out three sets of tunes and he hands me a bottle of malt, so I am fully backing Bruichladdich as a place friendly to musicians.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

I have a horrible admission to make.

Despite being Scottish and living and living an hour or so drive from some of the country's best distilleries... I don't like whisky.

I do keep intending to rectify the situation and try and develop a taste for it.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I have nothing to add (since I'm partial with the stuff that has the "e" in it myself ;) )...I'm just wondering why amar hasn't chimed it yet?

amar!! Where are you?? The resident expert should voice his opinion!

:wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Oops...misspelled Glenlivet, I did. :o

Bad, I am.

Suitably ashamed, I am.

Stand corrected, I do.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard