The 2006 Ig Nobel prizes are in

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The 2006 Ig Nobel prizes are in

Post by scottielvr »

Highlights include:

NUTRITION: Wasmia Al-Houty of Kuwait University and Faten Al-Mussalam of the Kuwait Environment Public Authority, for showing that dung beetles are finicky eaters. [Who woulda thunk it?]

PEACE: Howard Stapleton of Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, for inventing an electromechanical teenager repellant -- a device that makes annoying noise designed to be audible to teenagers but not to adults... [I believe this is the same device that was discussed here in this thread].

MATHEMATICS: Nic Svenson and Piers Barnes of the Australian Commonwealth Scientific and Research Organization, for calculating the number of photographs you must take to (almost) ensure that nobody in a group photo will have their eyes closed.

LITERATURE: Daniel Oppenheimer of Princeton University for his report "Consequences of Erudite Vernacular Utilized Irrespective of Necessity: Problems with Using Long Words Needlessly." [Gotta love that title].

PHYSICS: Basile Audoly and Sebastien Neukirch of the Université Pierre et Marie Curie, in Paris, for their insights into why, when you bend dry spaghetti, it often breaks into more than two pieces.

BIOLOGY: Bart Knols (of Wageningen Agricultural University, in Wageningen....) and Ruurd de Jong (of Wageningen Agricultural University and of Santa Maria degli Angeli, Italy) for showing that the female malaria mosquito Anopheles gambiae is attracted equally to the smell of limburger cheese and to the smell of human feet.

More info and links here.
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

hee hee hee

Govenment funded projects, all of them, I'm certain. :D

p.s. Love your quote on autumn!
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

WyoBadger wrote:hee hee hee

Govenment funded projects, all of them, I'm certain. :D

p.s. Love your quote on autumn!
Yep, gotta be our tax dollars at work there.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

The one for medicine seems pretty strange. Maybe because it took me so long to figure out what the word "digital" must mean in this particular situation. Strange as it is, though, it could be helpful---you just never know.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I wonder if Calvin ever received his award for:

"The dynamics of interbeing and monological imperatives in Dick and Jane: a study in psychic transrelational gender modes."
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Cynth wrote:The one for medicine seems pretty strange. Maybe because it took me so long to figure out what the word "digital" must mean in this particular situation. Strange as it is, though, it could be helpful---you just never know.
I'm told it can be helpful in other situations as well. :twisted:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Remember children, the most common reason for recurrent nose bleeding is digital trauma.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I.D.10-t wrote:Remember children, the most common reason for recurrent nose bleeding is digital trauma.
It would seem they are inserting it in the wrong orifice. :twisted:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
I.D.10-t wrote:Remember children, the most common reason for recurrent nose bleeding is digital trauma.
It would seem they are inserting it in the wrong orifice. :twisted:
:lol: Oh dear!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I've always wondered about that thing with the fingernails and blackboard (acoustics). I went to school in the days of slate blackboards and sometimes the chalk would make that horrible screeching noise on the board. I'm not sure how that happened-maybe the angle of the chalk.

Copied from a website. (neuroscience for kids newsletter)

Rubbing styrofoam together was almost as annoying as scraping the slate. (a bunch of different noises were tested-SK) The researchers were surprised to find that when low frequencies of the unpleasant scraping sound were removed ("filtered out"), the unpleasantness of the sound was reduced. On the other hand, when the high frequencies of the unpleasant scraping sound were filtered out, no effect was observed. For some reason, the low frequency part of the scrape is what sends chills up your spine.

You may be thinking, "So what? Why should the sound of fingernails on the chalkboard be so annoying?". No one really knows the answer to this question. It is possible that there is some evolutionary significance to this type of sound. Apparently, the nail/chalkboard sound is very similar to the warning cry of some monkeys. The authors of the "Chilling Sound" paper suggested that it is possible, just possible, that the response to these annoying sounds is some "leftover" reflex from a common primate ancestor. This reflex may be built in to get our attention. It has even been suggested (in Medical Hypothesis, vol. 46, page 487, 1996) that our response to this harsh sound is a property of our inner ear leftover from a fish lateral line system. Maybe...maybe not. I do know a sound that is even more annoying than fingernails on a chalkboard...my alarm clock!
Last edited by SteveK on Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

What does "Ig" mean?
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Cranberry wrote:What does "Ig" mean?
Well, it's "Ig Nobel." :lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
djm

Post by djm »

Oddly enough, the scraping on a blackboard is nowhere near as annoying to me as the sound of a nail clipper in action. That's a sound that just seems to cut right through me.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fearfaoin

Re: The 2006 Ig Nobel prizes are in

Post by fearfaoin »

scottielvr wrote:MATHEMATICS: Nic Svenson and Piers Barnes of the Australian Commonwealth Scientific and Research Organization, for calculating the number of photographs you must take to (almost) ensure that nobody in a group photo will have their eyes closed.
That's dead useful, that is.
Cynth wrote:Maybe because it took me so long to figure out what the word "digital" must mean in this particular situation.
Right. We've all but forgotten the non-computer-related use of that
word... There's a binary joke here somewhere, but it's in poor taste.
SteveK

Re: The 2006 Ig Nobel prizes are in

Post by SteveK »

fearfaoin wrote:
Right. We've all but forgotten the non-computer-related use of that
word... There's a binary joke here somewhere, but it's in poor taste.
Some of us are quite aware of the non-computer use!