Why I love kids

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Why I love kids

Post by WyoBadger »

I didn't write this, though I wish I had. --T

"When I look at a patch of dandelions, I see a bunch of weeds that are going to take over my yard. My kids see flowers for Mom and blowing white fluff you can wish on.

"When I look at an old drunk and he smiles at me, I see a smelly, dirty person who probably wants money and I look away. My kids see someone smiling at them and they smile back.

"When I hear music I love, I know I can't carry a tune and don't have much rhythm so I sit self-consciously and listen. My kids feel the beat and move to it. They sing out the words. If they don't know them, they make up their own.

"When I feel wind on my face, I brace myself against it. I feel it messing up my hair and pulling me back when I walk. My kids close their eyes, spread their arms and fly with it, until they fall to the ground laughing.

"When I pray, I say thee and thou and grant me this, give me that. My kids say, "Hi God! Thanks for my toys and my friends. Please keep the bad dreams away tonight. Sorry, I don't want to go to Heaven yet. I would miss my Mommy and Daddy."

"When I see a mud puddle I step around it. I see muddy shoes and dirty carpets. My kids sit in it. They see dams to build, rivers to cross and worms to play with.

"I wonder if we are given kids to teach or to learn from? Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.

I wish you big mud puddles and sunny yellow dandelions."

Author Unknown (almost certainly a whistle player)
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

A new acquaintance of mine has a 5 year old daughter who is so full of life, and also has loving concern for others and can be quite in your face about it. I think she's charming as all get-out, and I hope nothing ever quells that. When I was leaving from a visit to their home the other day, she was going on about something in her life that happened at a time when she was "young and cute" (she's very pretty, BTW). I gaped at her and exclaimed, "Young and cute? WHAT HAPPENED????" She stopped short, and then just about fell over laughing.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

The child is father of the man, in the words of the poet. :)
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I love children, especially with a nice garden salad with a good Italian dressing, chianti and some chocolate donuts for dessert.... hey, did I type that out loud? :oops:
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

While working as a children's amusement park ride runner (3 summers), I have found that children are often distorted reflections of there parents, often magnifying either beauty or ugliness.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

I had quite a collection of "Noah-isms", some of the things that kid had some out with just leaves me shaking my head (and blaming the ex!).
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Sounds kind of like Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now or Circle Game.

One of the sweetest things my daughter did, which would never occur to an adult, was a couple of years ago when she was three. It was the year of the cicada, when the biggest swarm of all emerges from the ground. There were little holes in the ground everywhere; she asked about them and we explained that those were the holes the cicadas emerge from after 17 years living underground. So she got a stick and started poking holes in the ground, to help the cicadas along.

Right now she has five house crickets in her butterfly house. She had one for several days, but "Crick was lonely," so we caught a momma, a poppa, and two sisters for him.

She still loves jumping in mud puddles.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I like kids when they STAY OFF MY LAWN.

(Lecherous Old Curmudgeon in training)
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Flyingcursor wrote:I like kids when they STAY OFF MY LAWN.

(Lecherous Old Curmudgeon in training)
What - and as long as they never dare to ask for their ball back if it goes in your garden, or talk within 100 yards of your house? :twisted:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
djm

Post by djm »

One of my nieces (4) asked her preggers mum if the new baby would be a boy or a girl. Her mum said it was up to Mother Nature. "Ah," she replied, knowingly, "Mother Nature. I see". After a couple of minutes deep reflection she popped out with, "Do we have Mother Nature's phone number?"

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

I.D.10-t wrote:... I have found that children are often distorted reflections of there parents, often magnifying either beauty or ugliness.

That is quite beautiful.
Dittos to you. (and not the Rush Limbaugh kind)

:)

-Chris
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I love children, especially with a nice garden salad with a good Italian dressing, chianti and some chocolate donuts for dessert.... hey, did I type that out loud? :oops:
Blech. Yeah. I can't believe you'd stoop to donuts. That's like putting ketchup on quiche.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Joseph E. Smith

Nanohedron wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:I love children, especially with a nice garden salad with a good Italian dressing, chianti and some chocolate donuts for dessert.... hey, did I type that out loud? :oops:
Blech. Yeah. I can't believe you'd stoop to donuts. That's like putting ketchup on quiche.
What the hell is wrong with bloody quiche? I'm beginning to think you're not evil.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:What the hell is wrong with bloody quiche?
It's still quiche.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Joseph E. Smith

jsluder wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:What the hell is wrong with bloody quiche?
It's still quiche.
I don't think you're evil either.