Waking up music...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Waking up music...

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Like some (or most, perhaps) of you, waking up is a ritual of sorts for me. First thing, I get the coffee going (or tea, depending on my mood), then I step out of doors to have a smoke and take in the morning stars, moon and the cooler morning air. Then I sit down to the PC and log in here. All the while I have music playing.

What is the music you prefer to listen to while going through your waking up routines?

Recently, I have rediscovered "Secret World", Peter Gabriel's Live compilation. It's been a good long while since I listened to Peter's stuff, and finding the CD's again feels very much like a rebirth for me. Good energy, great music.
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

unfortunately, I can't "wake up" to music. I absolutely cannot stand the morning talk radio person here (he's been on the air here since I was about 5 years old, first on the old rock station) - so having him on the alarm is an incentive to get OUT of bed!!!
I keep that station on because it has the best traffic reports, etc. After I get to work, THEN I can finally listen to music.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

This morning I'm, completely by accident, the kid left it in the car, I'm enjoying "Raspberry Beret" (Prince) with my coffee. Not as bad as I thought it'd be.

Mark
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

missy wrote:unfortunately, I can't "wake up" to music. I absolutely cannot stand the morning talk radio person here (he's been on the air here since I was about 5 years old, first on the old rock station) - so having him on the alarm is an incentive to get OUT of bed!!!
I keep that station on because it has the best traffic reports, etc. After I get to work, THEN I can finally listen to music.

I also wake up to some blathering morning talk show. It's one of those UFO/Conspiracy Theory things.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

When I lived in Massachusetts in the 1980s, I set my clock radio to wake me with Robert J. Lurtsema's "Morning Pro Musica" show, which began with about 10 minutes of recorded birdsong, followed by a slow fade-in of Mozart's "The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba." The problem was that in mid-spring, the real birds would start singing outside my window at around 4:30am, and more than once I awoke to them thinking it was time to get ready for work.

Birds are still my favorite morning music, especially hermit thrushes, robins, and white-throated sparrows. When I lived in Vermont I often awoke to coyotes, which was pretty wonderful too.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I have my alarm set for 6:00 when NPR news comes on. By the time I shake the fogginess out of my head, I've already heard the essential day's news and weather.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
missy

Post by missy »

of course, what I REALLY wake up to is the bad breath of a boxer resting his head on the side of the bed, looking at me. If that doesn't do it, then the two dogs stand on either side of the bed and keep "bumping" it. If THAT doesn't work, then Wyley will start "talking" and Buster will start bringing "binkies" (toys) and leaving them on the bed.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

bradhurley wrote:Mozart's "The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba."
oops
George Frederic Handel

I get up, have a shower and some brekkie before bringing the young fella to school in Spanish Point. At nine I am on the beach every morning and listen to the waves and take a walk before doing anything else.

Some days it's like this

some days, like today, it's more like :

Last edited by Cayden on Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Peter Laban wrote:
bradhurley wrote:Mozart's "The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba."
George Frederic Handel
Oops, goes to show how much I know about classical music! Anyway, it's a nice piece, and whenever I hear it (even the DeDannan version) it makes me think of morning because I woke up to it so many times.
djm

Post by djm »

I just play a normal local radio station. It plays modern rock, tells lame jokes, and is the only source I bother with for local news (over and done in 60 seconds).

I don't really care to have good (read ITM) music playing unless I am in a position to actually stop and listen fully to it; otherwise it is just more noise to try to shut out, and that would be a disgraceful way to treat good music.

My favourite way to wake up used to be to have one or two kittens sitting on my chest or head purring madly, like finding my hoary old head peeking out of the blankets was the most wonderful thing they'd ever dragged in. There is nothing better for making me wake up with a laugh, and no better way to wake up than laughing. :D

Maybe when the current cat kicks the can I'll get some more kittens.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

djm wrote:My favourite way to wake up used to be to have one or two kittens sitting on my chest or head purring madly, like finding my hoary old head peeking out of the blankets was the most wonderful thing they'd ever dragged in. There is nothing better for making me wake up with a laugh, and no better way to wake up than laughing. :D

Maybe when the current cat kicks the can I'll get some more kittens.
I've got a ~8 year old cat with a lot of kitten left in her. Most Saturdays she's up on the bed nudging my hand by about 7. It is a nice way to wake up -- a few minutes of scratching and purring is very relaxing, yet still wakes me up enough that I can face the day. Beats the hell out of the 4 AM wake up calls with a partially disemboweled mouse squeaking its ass off, which she is also responsible for.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

chas wrote:[Beats the hell out of the 4 AM wake up calls with a partially disemboweled mouse squeaking its ass off, which she is also responsible for.
This begs the question: if the mouse is partially disembowled, does it in fact have an ass left to squeak off?
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I wake up around 3:30 AM, so I don't usually turn any music on; once you wake this kid o' mine up, she's up.
My Mustang is the only car I have right now that's not torn down or in the process of being torn down, so that's what I'm driving right now. It has an AM radio that doesn't work...
I guess I could sing... :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

missy wrote:of course, what I REALLY wake up to is the bad breath of a boxer...
I didn't know Tom was a pugilist! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Denny

Post by Denny »

Flyingcursor wrote:
missy wrote:of course, what I REALLY wake up to is the bad breath of a boxer...
I didn't know Tom was a pugilist! :lol: :lol: :lol:
odd little factoid, innit? :wink: