C nat fingering

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Marcelo Muttis
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

C nat fingering

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

Hi fellas, well I´ve finished my first practice set 6 or 7 months ago and I let it be played by a well known piper (future teacher), but the point is that the Cnat fingering is oxxoxxx x instead of oxxxoxx x that is more common (the last x is the knee)so , what you think? Should I work till I get the correct fingering? or I may have the optional fingering.
I need to hear the uilleann community concept about this.
Thanks God for the opposite thumb.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Some of the Cnat fingering issues may also be due to the reed. Personally, I'd work on that aspect first before making changes to your chanter design blueprints.
daveboling
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by daveboling »

Marcelo hi,
I'm assuming from your diagram that you have left out the back D hole in the diagram, but not on the instrument itself.
I've had different chanters that wanted different fingerings for the Cnat. As long as you can get the pitch and sound quality that you desire, I believe (at least for Cnat) that either fingering is accepted. The D set I have now will produce a "cleaner" Cnat with the first finger of the bottom hand raised, but raising the second finger (with the first finger down) has more character (nyah) to it.

dave boling
Marcelo Muttis

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

Yes Joe, I´ve been working with a bunch of reeds and the ones that responds to common Cnat fingering have difficulties to jump octave, maybe in future reeds, with more experience I´ll make it.
In the other hand, Yes Dave, I left the back D hole out in my diagram, but not in my chanter :D
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Marcelo,

here's a link to Davy Stepenson's reed making manual, in particular, the tuning page. The rest of the manual is well worth reading and covers all of the aspects of reed making.

http://bagpipeworks.co.uk/reeds_j.htm
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

There is no Cnat fingering for the second octave. You must have a key to play this note.
Marcelo Muttis

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

Thank you very much Joe.

Uillmann, I meant that the reed has difficulties to jump octave in every note, I didn´t express myself completely, sorry.
billh

Post by billh »

Personally, I think the X|OXX OXXX|X fingering is a fault (if the reed can't fix it), but it's a common fault and you can get used to it. I've seen some chanters that needed this fingering which were otherwise very good, so it's not the "end of the world".

If that's your chanter's worst fault, you have done very well!
Marcelo Muttis

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

Thanks