Stuck in a small town where people think Basketball when you

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Soineanta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Soineanta »

Sad, but true, there are many people in this world who are clueless when it comes to the best genre of music, and most interesting culture (in my opinion) in the world.
I think they all live in my town.
I've seen a few mentions on the Board of Celtic Fests in larger cities like Chicago. I'm jealous! I was wondering where I could find information about where such festivals take place. I'm hoping some of the larger places around me, maybe Tampa, Miami, or Tallahasee? Or anywhere in Florida, really. If anyone knows anything about it, I'd really appreciate it! Thankee!

[Err, I decided to add this part about 15 minutes later, because I realized that nooobody knows yet who I am! (And here I pause to wonder if it wouldn't be better to let it remain that way...) Well, just a quick introduction. My name's Sara, I purchased my Clarke D about 6 months ago, and though still floundering through newbie-ism, I'm totally hooked! I know just from reading through old threads how accomplished so many of you guys are, and I can't wait to join in the fun/insanity(?). Slainte!]
without troubling of a star." (Madeleine L'Engle)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Soineanta on 2002-09-20 18:57 ]</font>
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

It helps to pronounce Celtic with a 'K' sound. They usually pronounce the team with an 'S' sound, though it's really the same word.

I guess you could say I live in the sticks myself.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Walden on 2002-09-20 19:03 ]</font>
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

The Sessioneer web site lists several sessions in Florida.

http://www.sessioneer.com/default.asp

Steve
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

THANK you, Walden, exactly my point. The so-called wonderful basketball team hasn't an idea that the pronunciation of their name is actually incorrect. You should see the looks I get.
Me: "Celtic, you know..."
Random Floridian: "Err, how do you spell it?"
Me: "C-e-l-t-i-c."
R.F: "Nonono, that's Seltic. They did well this year!"
Me: "::hopeless sigh::"
And, thanks so much Steve, I'll definitly check that out. Wow, you guys are snappy! :smile:
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Are you saying 'Sell-tick' or 'Kel-tick' ??

Check this website as they have links for Irish music in Florida. Mostly Uilleann pipes and based in Orlando, but you might find something of interest.
http://www.atlantic.net/~cavanagh/uilleann/index.htm

Based in Fort Lauderdale is Eamonn Dillon, this might be a link to follow:
http://www.eamonndillon.com/
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

Keltic, of course! :smile:
And, whooee, 6 listings for florida on the Sessioneer webbie, and all within a 2 hours' drive. Thanks so much, Steve. I'm definitly making some calls to certain pubs tonight!
And thanks also Tony.. I absolutely love the "Curfa tunes" MP3 on Eamonn Dillon's webbie. The tone of the whistle is so bright, its delicious! (And, no, don't worry folks.. while I call the music yummy, I don't actually try to eat my own tinwhistle.)
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Actually, IMO, Eamonn Dillon sounded much better without "Curfa" pick up his solo CD and you'll see what a mean. His sister is one hell of a fiddle player though, and even she puts virtually all of us to shame on the whistle as well.

I tried to get lessons with Eamonn for about a year, and finally gave up, he was simply to busy to arrange it.

Anyway, don't go strictly by the info listed on the websites, some of that is out of date: Specifically, there are currently no open sessions in Tampa.

I'm sure Kevin/Dazed can tell you about the Bradenton sessions. There's also a something going on in St. Pete Beach, but it hardly qualifies as ITM from what I've heard.

Can't speak for happenings out side the Tampa Bay area.

Loren
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

On 2002-09-20 19:05, Soineanta wrote:
THANK you, Walden, exactly my point. The so-called wonderful basketball team hasn't an idea that the pronunciation of their name is actually incorrect....
I dunno that it's wrong for sports teams. In Scotland, the football (soccer) team Celtic is also pronounced "Seltic" rather than "Keltic".
Stella

Post by Stella »

I have a vaguely similar problem of having no idea how to describe the whistle to others:
"I have taken up the penny whistle"
"What is that?"
"ummmmmmm......."
I havent yet said "a long thin tube with holes in it" but usually that is all I can really think of saying....

How do others describe it to the unenlightened?
Stella
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Options:

1. It's a six-hole, end blown fipple flute.

2. It's like a recorder, only much cooler.

3. Ever seen Riverdance?
NancyF

Post by NancyF »

Someone once described my whistle as "that flutey thing". ---Nancy
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

On 2002-09-21 07:49, NancyF wrote:
Someone once described my whistle as "that flutey thing". ---Nancy
My oldest son refers to my whistles as "Those squeaky things!" ha (They're much more impressed with my flute ~ !)
Mary

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Whistlin'Dixie on 2002-09-21 09:21 ]</font>
Sara

Post by Sara »

Welcome to the board, Sara!

My name is Sara too!

The clueless people aren't all in your town -
I swear I think half of them are in the town I live in. Whenever I tell anyone that I play the whistle they have no clue what it is. I usually explain what a pennywhistle is by saying (while moving my fingers like I'm playing an invisible whistle) "It's like a flute, only different - it's played straight out". After I explain to them what it is they act like they couldn't care less. Oh well.

Once again, welcome to the board!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sara on 2002-09-21 11:55 ]</font>
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Sara,
Being from a big town with lots of "keltic" people is a mixed blessing. Cleveland is sort of a smaller, more manageable version of Chicago. We have a nice Irish music scene here. About 25-35% of the population has Irish roots. However, most of them have no interest in "keltic" culture beyond the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame. If you have ever seen a Cleveland Browns football game you know that one end of the field is called the Dawg Pound, and fans wear dog masks, brown and orange paint and throw beer containers at referees. Yes, more than half of them are "keltic". The same ones who throw up on the St Pat's day parade floats.
So I say, find the music where you can. Who knows, you may be the beginning of a new Celtic tradition in Fla.
Mike Burns
Tradman
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

Post by Tradman »

I know the Feeling!

I love living in Florida (Jacksonville) but the word 'whistle' doesnt seem to make any sense to anyone around me either. They look @ me like Im a freak or somthing. If you are ever up in the NE Floriday area, let me know. Me and Tradgirl will be glad to have a mini session with ya.

Eric
Eric T
Waycross, GA USA
Dave Copley 6 Key
Ormiston Keyless
Roy MacManus blackwood high- D
Sindt high- D
Various Chieftain Low Whistles