Anyone get sore thumbs?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Anyone get sore thumbs?

Post by Flogging Jason »

Maybe I'm still getting used to it but.....my right thumb gets wicked sore after 15 mins or so on my Overton Low D. Of course, I don't stop...I just prop it up on my knee. I've thought about rigging a thumbrest but, I can't pull off the reach without keeping a grip on the whistle. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?
markbell

Post by markbell »

Oh, yeah! I regularly play a Chieftain low D (old style). I made a thumbrest out of a 90-degree PVC elbow. Helps a lot.

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
King Friday
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by King Friday »

I just fought through it on my Chieftain. I think it messes up the tone to put on on my knee so I just endured the sore thumbs for a while.
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

I've used a Susato thumbrest on my Burke low D for a couple of years; no right thumb problems as a result. Pain is usually there to tell us to stop doing whatever is causing it.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I got soreness in my right thumb from playing the high whistle. I feel it was caused by tension. I think you absolutely must solve this problem. Whatever works, do it. A sore finger can turn into a serious problem. Be sure you are not pressing down on the holes when you cover them. You can end up squeezing the whistle and I think this can cause tension in the thumb. Just lay your finger on a hole very gently, just to cover and seal it. If it doesn't seal, don't press harder. Re-position your finger. It takes constant vigilance to relax, it is not easy. Constantly be checking for tension in your shoulders and neck, keep aware of it in all parts of your body. Also, take breaks and find some finger and hand relaxation exercises to do. There are quite a few out there. The page I usually recommend no longer exists unfortunately.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
preacher
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Post by preacher »

Ditto on the Susato thumb rest. Anything that makes playing an instrument comfortable and takes the stress off hand muscles. Someone got it right with sax straps - can't really play sax much without one.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Well I get that on my left hand, however I play right hand on top, or closer to the fipple end. I used to get it while playing the soprano whistles, back when I was first starting the whistle, but that was just because I was learning the thing, and my fingers just seemed to like having a death grip on it untill I finally learned to relax later on. I still think there's a permanent dent, or thin spot on my left thumb from having squeezed the damn thing so much for so long.

However with my Chieftain low D, the bloomin' E hole is so huge, and my fingers are so skinny... I just about have to press hard, or squeeze the body in order to completely seal the hole. And yes, that's with the proper piper's grip. I just have skinny fingers and small hands. I'd say the fingers are long enough, just not fat enough... Anyways, I love playing the low D, as it's reminicient of the Irish flute. But everytime I play it seriously for a good while, my left thumb on the bottom end starts aching like hell, and I have to quit. Permanent damage to my hands isn't worth playing any instrument. And this is all playing relaxed as I can with the low whistle. If I go anymore relaxed, my middle finger won't cover that huge E hole on the Chieftain. And it's only that hole. I can reach the holes just fine, and cover all.... but the E hole. Guess I'll have to learn the flute embouchure! :P
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

Thanks for the replies y'all. I probably do need to get used to it...and it probably wouldn't hurt to focus on relaxing. It probably doesn't help that being a line cook requires me to use my right hand extensively for flipping burgers and slinging fry baskets(I've been doing that for a decade and I still have a sore index finger and elbow on busy days). But regardless, I love playing(and buying) whistles too much to ever give up on it.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Are you using piper's grip? If not, give it a try. It'll take a bit of getting used to but will give you a much less cramped grip.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

I use the piper grip on my Thin Weasel A, Susato Bb, and Overton Low D.....of course, I've only been at the low whistles for about 5 months. I've been playing soprano whistles for about 15 years so yeah, I'm still adjusting.
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Key_of_D wrote:And yes, that's with the proper piper's grip. I just have skinny fingers and small hands. I'd say the fingers are long enough, just not fat enough...
That's my problem with the Chieftain low D too. I have long fingers, but they're skinny and they just can't cover the hole properly. I got a Shaw low D and it's been so much easier to play a low whistle since!

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I put a length of double sided tape to the back of the whistle. It's not carpet tape. It's the kind used for sticking items to the wall or cabinets, in the kitchen for instance. The sponginess of the tape helps cushion things. The stickiness allows me to hold the whistle more loosely and still maintain full control. Eventually the stickiness leaves, but you can re-apply.
Short bio: 1952-
mignal

Post by mignal »

Of course Cynth is right. A problem like a sore thumb can turn into a major problem, tension in one part of the body can spread and before you are aware of it you can be plagued with pain - which is why I haven't touched an instrument in weeks :sniffle:
Tia

Post by Tia »

Ya, sorness is not a thing to igrore, my thumb started feeling sore, from the clairnet, and now even sometimes with the whistle, that turned into tenditus in my wrist and thumb, so dont ignore it. other wise playing will be in pain :sniffle:
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Anyone know offhand what size Susato thumbrest supports a Low D, particularly a Burke Viper? My thumbs are killing me. Susato lists different sizes, but are not key specific.