OT: Another German language question.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tom_Gaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tom_Gaul »

I just read the posting, "What is the ß in German" and I was delighted! Such a cordial group of people sharing information is a pure pleasure to read and is also enlightening to someone like me interested in other languages. I think the German beer hall songs are a fair competition to the great Irish Pub songs. I have been trying to learn a few from a CD. My question is for Claus, Christian, and Brigitte and of course any other German speakers. What does vergehn mean in the following:

So ein Tag, so wunderschön wie heute,
So ein Tag, der dürfte nie vergehn.

Running this through a translation program comes up with:

Such one day, as beautiful as today,
Such one day, that might never vergehn. (???)

Ein probably should translate as a. I looked up vergehn: to decay, to elapse, to go, to go by, to pass, to pass by? HELP! I'm hoping someone is familiar with the song and knows the meaning in the context of the song. My tendency is to want to translate it as "might never come again". Like in English, certain German verbs have many meanings!

If anyone knows a good source for German beer hall songs with the music and the words in German, I would appreciate the information. I would be happy to translate any of them into ABC files for whistle playing if anyone were interested.

Best wishes, Tom
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

So ein Tag, so wunderschön wie heute,
So ein Tag, der dürfte nie vergehn.

Such a day, so beautiful as today,
Such a day, should never end (go away).

Mike
Tom_Gaul

Post by Tom_Gaul »

Thanks Mike! And the answer came from Cleveland, not Germany! My brother lived in University Heights for many years. A special treat when I visited him was to go to the Top of the Town restaurant in down town Cleveland for Sunday brunch! Only time in my life I had roast beef and lobster tails with my ham and eggs! Best of all, he picked up the tab! Thanks again for the translation.

Best wishes, Tom
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

My compliments, Mike, you were definitely faster than me, and absolutely correct too. To be honest, I for my part hate German beer hall songs, but to hear them sung Boston style might be a treat, so go for it, Tom!

Cheers
Claus
Tom_Gaul

Post by Tom_Gaul »

Claus, if you hate German beer hall songs now, then if you ever heard me sing, it might be too much for you to bear! How about "Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht" at Christmas time?! I need a lot of work on German pronunciation although I once had a French professor in college tell me that I spoke French with a German accent so maybe there is hope!

Best wishes, Tom
Claus von Weiss

How about some French beer hall songs to be sung with a German accent, Tom? Could be the start of a very special career. I'd buy your CDs, trust me.
About German Xmas songs - you got me there. I love Christmas in general and some of the German songs are stunningly beautiful. "Ich steh an deiner Krippen hier" can still drive tears to my eyes.
And although it's just end of summer, I'm already rehearsing for our Xmas programm - English Carols in fact. Now this is truly an international thread, or what?

Cheers
Claus
Tom_Gaul

Post by Tom_Gaul »

Chevaliers de la Table Ronde,
Goûtons voir si le vin est bon ...er .. gut!

This I think is one of the best known of the old French drinking songs. Unfortunately I don't know any current ones. I wish some of our friends in Quebec would join in and enlighten us! Or someone in France as far as that goes, or Cleveland! I also love Christmas carols as long as they don't mention red nosed reindeers! The Chieftains have a very nice Christmas CD "The Bells of Dublin" with some of my favorite carols: "Il Est Né", "O the Holly Bears a Berry" and "Don Oiche Ud I mBeithil". Now the album could have been improved if they left off two particular tracks and substituted some German carols!

Claus, I wish you luck with your English Carols. Do you intend singing them or playing them on your whistle?

Best wishes, Tom
Claus von Weiss

Well, actually we're doing this special Christmas programm for some years now with our group "Morris Open", singing and playing various instruments.
Last year was my first time playing the whistle in it too and this year there'll be pipe & tabor on my instrument list as well, o dear!
But be comforted, no reindeers in it. The only red noses then will be our own.

Cheers
Claus