Pics of AlPro Burkes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
goesto11
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by goesto11 »

Does anyone have a picture of an Aluminum Burke that they could post? I'm curious as to its looks. Thanks!

John Mac
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

My al-pro can be found at
http://www.tinwhistler.com/misc/burke/
DRC

Post by DRC »

Here are some high quality digital images of my AlPro D.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~drcannon/burke/burkealpro.htm
Wandering_Whistler

Boy, you sure can tell which of us is a pro at the whole photography thing. Nice pics!
John Allison

Post by John Allison »

Nah!! He's just got a newer whistle...that's the only reason it looks nicer!

<font size="1">lust...covet...lust...covet...lust...covet...</font>
goesto11

Post by goesto11 »

Thanks to both of you for the great pictures. What a beautiful whistle! I think I'm sold.

John Mac
Wandering_Whistler

On 2002-09-19 18:34, John Allison wrote:
Nah!! He's just got a newer whistle...that's the only reason it looks nicer!

<font size="1">lust...covet...lust...covet...lust...covet...</font>
Nope...both are etched "06/2002"...
Mine doesn't really look as scratched as my pictures might indicate..for some reason, my digital camera paints everything in a harsh light.
DRC

Post by DRC »

WanderingWhistler....
Appears we got ours from the same batch. I just recently bought mine from a freind who got it new a couple months ago but never played it, so it actually <i>is</i> new. BTW, thanks for the nice comments about the photos.

John Mac....
The AlPro is a wonderful whistle. Mike voices and fine-tunes each one by hand, and like anything else, they can vary slightly from whistle to whistle. And to me, that's a good thing. Each one is unique, but still has that pure Burke sound. I've played several AlPros (there are about 5 in our session group), and they're all good - perfectly balanced and accurate in both octaves, good volume (though not quite as loud as my Dixon), and play effortlessly in both octaves. If you like a pure sound, this is an excellent choice.

Denny

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DRC on 2002-09-20 00:25 ]</font>
nickt

Post by nickt »

DRC/Denny - wow!! I'm sold.

Is this the narrow or wide bore? I'm getting one or the other and am not sure which is the best one for me. You say "not as loud as the Dixon" - I have a Dixon and it's not that loud to my ears (middling I'd say). Thanks for any comments...

Nick
DRC

Post by DRC »

Nick,
Mine is the session pro, which I guess is considered the 'wide bore', although I believe Mike terms it 'standard bore'. On his price sheet it's designated as 'DAS', which I assume means 'key of D/Aluminum/Standard Bore. As you mentioned, Mike does make a narrow bore aluminum D, designated as 'DAN' on his price sheet.

My Dixon tuneable D (non-brass tuning slide) is a bit louder than the Burke. Actually it may not be an issue of volume per say, but I think it 'cuts' a little more in the upper register. It was evident this past Tues when our session group did a gig (unamplified) in a club that was fairly noisy. I couldn't really hear the Burke too well, so used the Dixon all night which I could hear much better in the second octave. In our normal practice sessions with 12-15+ instruments, or in quieter gig situations the Burke does a great job.

Denny
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Nick: I own both narrow and standard bore AlPros in D. It is very difficult to describe the difference between them, in words. Both D Alpros have really identical playing characteristics. The standard Burke ease-of-playing in both octaves is evident... The difference in volume between the instruments mocks attempted objective comparison...Subjectively, the standard bore seems a bit louder than the narrow bore...IMHO, the standard instrument's sound is pure, crystalline, and full. The narrow bore instrument is pure, crystalline, thinner, and even more silky smooth. On slow airs, the upper register of the NB brings chills...no harshness, just ethereal sound. You cannot go wrong with either...
Lots of words, here. Hope you can read between the lines.
Cheers.
Byll
nickt

Post by nickt »

Denny/Byll

Thanks heaps for your comments - you have answered what I needed to know. I'll be going for the Wide/Standard bore.

Nick