Murray Flute: Sold

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Murray Flute: Sold

Post by Loren »

Sadly, needs dictate that I sell my beloved 4 key Boxwood Murray. As you probably know this is pretty rare find - in all my years here on C&F (6+ now I believe) I don't recall ever seeing another keyed Boxwood Murray come up for sale. I've certainly not seen any on ebay or anywhere else, nor have I run across any other keyed Boxwood Murrays in my travels, although I'm sure a few do exist here and there.

At any rate, my plan is to get it up on ebay tomorrow, Thursday at the absolute latest. However, if anyone wants to make me an outrageous offer in an effort to avoid a bidding war on ebay (like that crazy business with the recent Keyless Wilkes), then shoot me a PM and we'll talk. Seriously though, it would have to be a good chunck of change - much as I love y'all, the money I get from this sale is going to support me over the next couple of months, and hopefully finally get me over the hump with regards to getting my own instrument making up and running.

It's a fantastic flute, I really hate to let it go. I'll provide further details for those with serious inquiries.

Cheers,

Loren

Last edited by Loren on Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I bought this flute's 6-key sister or cousin or whatever you want to call it on ebay last year. It's presently in for major restoration by John Gallagher -- but if this flute is like that flute (and hey, Loren's has all its keys AND no cracks AND no warping in the head! Cool!), wow. Even with all its injuries, mine is still a blast to play; I gigged with it regularly and am missing it terribly! ... Neat combination of sweet plus that trademark Murray rasp; mine seems a little livelier and more resonant than other boxwood flutes I've played. It's also very light weight.

(I'm still working on my Sam Murray Must Make Thinner-Walled Flutes theory; I can't help but wonder if this doesn't have something to do with it.)

The story I've heard several times from several sources is that Sam bought the boxwood for these flutes from a Belfast furniture factory that was going out of business; the wood had been hanging around in the factory for a long time, maybe since the 1920s.

:-( :-( :-( :-(

I'm sorry you have to let it go, Loren, but I'm sure it's for a good cause.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Desi Mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sam Murray Boxwood flute

Post by Desi Mc »

I have its Blackwood cousin made by Sma. They should be re united. How Much?

Desi
Desi Mc

Sam Murray Boxwood

Post by Desi Mc »

Oops! That should be Sam. Not Sma. Sorry but its an age thing.

Desi
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Cathy Wilde wrote:I bought this flute's 6-key sister or cousin or whatever you want to call it on ebay last year.
The Might Banana?
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

'Twould be the Mighty Banana itself.
<---- That's the flute, over there on the left.
Me loves it so. :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

AaronMalcomb wrote:
Cathy Wilde wrote:I bought this flute's 6-key sister or cousin or whatever you want to call it on ebay last year.
The Might Banana?
No, we're just happy to forumize with you.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Oh my... that is a thing of beauty.

Looks crossed between a Dalmation and flan or the vanilla pudding my mother use to make.

I hope it tastes like the two latter.

Dalmation is too tangy, or so I have been told.

:D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I've never tasted dalmation. But I've had a few try to take a bite out of me. Nasty beasties.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Wormdiet wrote:
AaronMalcomb wrote:
The Might Banana?
bugger, a typo

So, Loren, do you just need some dosh or would you accept a lathe or milling machine for trade? I don't have either, just forumizing and generating interest in the flute.

As for Cat's flute (aka The Mighty Banana) it was formerly owned by Justin Murphy, n'est-ce pas? So if one was curious about how a keyed, boxwood Murray sounds by a professional musician, one could check out WFO2 featuring Justin Murphy on Cat's flute.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Actually, a serious question for Loren - what type of grip works with this Murray? IE - can one get away with a piper's grip?

Just curious - I'm a lefty anyway so I couldn;t get the most out of you flute if I bought it.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

AaronMalcomb wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:
AaronMalcomb wrote: The Might Banana?
bugger, a typo

So, Loren, do you just need some dosh or would you accept a lathe or milling machine for trade? I don't have either, just forumizing and generating interest in the flute.

As for Cat's flute (aka The Mighty Banana) it was formerly owned by Justin Murphy, n'est-ce pas? So if one was curious about how a keyed, boxwood Murray sounds by a professional musician, one could check out WFO2 featuring Justin Murphy on Cat's flute.
:-) :-) It's da bomb. And you ought to hear what Louise Mulcahy did with it this summer at Augusta. Argh, I miss it so!!!!! Murray come home! Murray come home! (although the keyless blackwood is pretty awesome, too -- but the Banana's just a sweetie-pie to play)
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

AaronMalcomb wrote: So, Loren, do you just need some dosh or would you accept a lathe or milling machine for trade?

Well, I don't have room for a second lathe or milling machine at the moment, in fact I don't even have room for the tools I do have, and it's all the assorted little bits that I still need, so cash is King.
I don't have either, just forumizing and generating interest in the flute.
Thanks dude. :)

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Wormdiet wrote:Actually, a serious question for Loren - what type of grip works with this Murray? IE - can one get away with a piper's grip?

Just curious - I'm a lefty anyway so I couldn;t get the most out of you flute if I bought it.
I don't see why it wouldn't work for a piper grippin' righty: There's no Bb key, so that's not an issue. (Although the flute does have the block for the Bb key, so it could be added for those who are more traditional minded with regards to grip.

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Cathy Wilde wrote::-) :-) It's da bomb. And you ought to hear what Louise Mulcahy did with it this summer at Augusta.
Yup, this one is fantastic as well, and has no cracks. Honestly, it's easily one of the very best flutes I've ever run across, at least in my opinion, and it's wicked comfortable in the hand - slim body, light weight, and very balanced, not head heavy like your typical fully lined headjoint 4 key flute.

Last day to make an offer, if anyone is seriously interested. I've got a couple offers on the table, so it will definitely be sold.........

Loren