Joanie Madden and Bowflex Rhythms

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Joanie Madden and Bowflex Rhythms

Post by PhilO »

Ok, not meant to be lewd as that might have read. A couple of seeming incongruities dispensed today. First, I worked out on my Bowflex Xtreme2 (great home gym) today while listening to Joanie's Songs of the Irish Whistle. When you go to a health club or when you see Rocky Balboa training it's generally to some driving pulsating beat, but working out with this CD was glorious. Second, who says trad whistle music (ok, some will say it's not trad, but who really cares) has to be well, not hot. Joanie puts some wonderful tunes to a really great rhythm backup. I guess it doesn't hurt that she's a great player and I play several of the tunes on this CD (South Wind, Down By the Sally Gardens, Legacy Jig...).

This reinforces the suggestion that this is a really good CD for whistle players who don't want to necessarily listen to a straight hour of trad whistle solo. One of many shades...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

It is one of the CDs on my MP3 player when I go to the Gym. I also haveSong of the Irish Whistle 2 on there. I love some of the tunes on these CDs. One of them is John of the Glen. I don't care what you call it. I just call it great music.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I agree. It's just gorgeous music.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Parkwood

Post by Parkwood »

Whatever work I guess....

For some high intensity training try the albums by 'Hevia'!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Hey, there's another Rocky movie coming at Christmas.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

jim stone wrote:Hey, there's another Rocky movie coming at Christmas.
Is that IX or X?

Seriously though, there's nothing quite like playing along with Joanie and that rhythm section on Legacy Jig and actually keeping up. That makes me soooo happy. :)

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

PhilO wrote:
jim stone wrote:Hey, there's another Rocky movie coming at Christmas.
Is that IX or X?

Seriously though, there's nothing quite like playing along with Joanie and that rhythm section on Legacy Jig and actually keeping up. That makes me soooo happy. :)

Philo
I can't sit still when the drums kick in on that one. Driving rythym... great for aerobic driving, LOL, as well as bicycling... kind of tough with the yoga and tai chi though. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Talbert St. Claire

Working out...

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

PhilO,

The past 6 mths I have gotten up from 4:00 - 6:00 am in the morning to workout. My workout is at home. I have always wanted to try that Bowflex Extreme2. It's a great machine and well worth the funds.

I have the Total Gym that I have used the past 2 years. Ok here is my exercise program. I start the stationary bike for 50 minutes. Then, I use the Total Gym for a half hour straight. After that, I skip rope for 10 minutes(I studied Martial Arts for 20 years. Filipino Kali/Esrima. No longer study this, however). So, skiping rope comes easy because of the Martial Arts training. Lastly, I use the "Golds Gym" to finish off my work. Man I feel great in the morning! I am OFF on the weekends. 5 days a week is enough :lol: .

Getting to the right kind of music while working out is essential. I listen to Kila!!!!!! It''s very addictive stuff! So, I know how you feel regarding the right kind of music because it really helps with your continued progress.

I am down to 165 pounds. I guess this is'nt so bad to be in my early 40's.

Thanks!

Talbert
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Thats great Talbert. Keep it up. Maybe you can escape the bypass surgery. I spend a half hour on a treadmill and 20 minutes on the stairmaster. Then I lift weights using the heartline machines. After my heart attack I could only lift 3 pounds. Now I bench press 300 pounds pretty good for 67. It's good to see you here. I hope you are whistling a merry tune.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Working out...

Post by Loren »

talbert st.claire wrote:I studied Martial Arts for 20 years. Filipino Kali/Esrima. No longer study this, however).

Of course, strictly speaking, there's no rope skipping in the Filipino Martial Arts :lol:

Actually, the thought is kinda funny: I'm trying to imagine Floro Villabrille jumping rope, or Angel Cabales, or even little Johnny Lacosta. Heh heh, the thought make me chuckle.

Loren
Talbert St. Claire

Loren,

I mentioned this because it was around the time that I learned how to skip rope.

By the way, Angle Cabales was a real stick fighter. Highly regarded as one of the best in Escrima (Stick and Dagger).

I also studied with Dan Inosanto (Kali/JKD), Larry Hartsell, Paul Vunak, and Richard Lamoureaux. I did this for many years. Mostly with Rich in the Chicagoland area. Trapping from the Wing Chun style was my specialty. JKD incorporated this nicely. Although Inosanto did say that JKD was always evolving. JKD was specific to each individual which was why it was so very unique.
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yes, I know who Angel Cabales was. I also studied with Guro Dan, and Tim Tackett, and Kris Kent, and so on, starting back in the late 70's. So, I'm very familiar with FMA, JKD, Jun Fan, etc., etc.

Loren
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

The only way to keep this thread out of the Pub now is via some obscure whistle reference...hmmm..How bout the best whistles for use in Escrima?

Seriously though, here's to you Ron; keep it up.

I'm pushing 58 now and don't practice any martial arts anymore (13 yrs Tae Kwon Do, long layoff, then several yrs. jui jitsu and several years aikido). My current routine is six days a week, alternating a 1-hour Bowflex routine with Concept2 indoor rowing (30-60 mins)/stretching/yoga routines. Whenever possible we also try to walk to and from dinner when we eat out.

I've always worked out to some kind of music at home and lately have been listening to whistle music. As a matter of fact, Loren, you turned me on to Flook, and I hadn't really listened to them until last week - a real treat!

Philo
Talbert St. Claire

Loren

I must admit that I am very impressed with your knowlege regarding these highly sought after individuals. My former teacher Rich studied with the late Ted Tucay.

Take care and thanks for the input.

Ron,

You are an aweful lot stronger than me for sure :lol: :P . Keep up the good work. Thanks. Yes, I have been whistling a merry tune. On the other hand, I only play for self these days. It's so much fun!!! Taking a long break from music.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

talbert st.claire wrote:Loren

I must admit that I am very impressed with your knowlege regarding these highly sought after individuals.

My former teacher Rich studied with the late Ted Tucay.

Take care and thanks for the input.
My father used to bring Guro Ted to our school in Conshohocken Pennsylvania for seminars and private lessons, this was starting in around '79-'80. Very very sad losing Guro Ted at such a young age - a huge loss for the FMA communitiy, and of course even more so for his family. Doubly shocking when we lost Edgar Sulite shortly after - Edgar at the age of 40 and Ted at 50. Oddly enough, my own father died just two years later, at the age of 54, also due to complications from a stroke, similar to Edgar.

On a lighter note, and to get back on topic: Use of the whistle is not a standard part of Filipino Martial Arts training, however, it does fall within the bounds of "environmental training" and "improvised weapons" whistles certainly may be used to deliver angle 5,6, and 7 (depending on your style's numbering system) thrusting strikes, as needed for self defense. Metal Low whistles may also be used effectively for the slashing angles, and two piece tunable whistles are, of course, apropriate for Siniwalli, particularly Espada y Daga.

See Phil, it's all comes back around to the topic of whistles eventually :)

Loren