McSherry's pipes...

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

McSherry's pipes...

Post by elbogo »

I do seem to recall, unless I'm mistaken, that McSherry had a Williams set? Did a search, yet couldn't find anything. Anyone know?

I happen to really like the sound of his 2nd octave, very distinctive.

I was just listening to the clip of the double chanter set...

Jeff
irishpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

I know John owns a Sean McAloon half-set. Dont know if thats the one you heard.
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

its a McAloon chanter with a Williams set attached to it.

On many recordings [and when I've seen him live] he just plays the chanter [brilliantly]

On Tripswitch he plays the drones and regs at times too....

click on " At First Light_Towersey_05c " [either "view" or "save" ]

on this page

http://www.kerrywhistles.com/dl.php?group=13

to hear and see the chanter...made from a different wood to the set its plugged into

Cheers

Boyd
unregulated

Post by unregulated »

hi elbogo
Martin Preshaw chanter.
hi there boyd, i’ve still got those recordings of McSherry Keenan Rooney etc I offered you from the Johnny Doran Millennium weekend, is it really six years ago?
yours unregulated
goldy

Post by goldy »

I recall watching one of the movies on the 'Kerrywhistles' website, in which John is being interviewed and talks about his chanter. I can't remember if the maker's name was actually mentioned.

I agree - his chanter has a great sound. You'll have to have some pretty fast vibrato fingers to emulate his sound though! :D
We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all manage to live in the same box.
Ballygo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ballygo »

John Mc sherry plays a mcaloon chanter not a Preshaw one.

Ballygo
Fingers

Post by Fingers »

Ballygo's right. It's a chanter made be the late Sean McAloon, originally from Fermanagh but who lived in Belfast for a long time until a few years back. As far as I know McAloon made it for him and he's had it over twenty years.
I'll have one!!
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

This question came up before.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... hn++sherry.

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
unregulated

Post by unregulated »

hi all
Meant to put a ? after Pershaw, he was looking for a new one and someone mentioned he had been seen playing a black stick ??
I’ll go with the Sean McAloon as Fergus points out in
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... hn++sherry
yours unregulated
Ballygo

Post by Ballygo »

If he was seen playing a black wood chanter , I guess it would be his Dave williams chanter that came with the set.

Ballygo
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

He does have a relationship with Martin Preshaw though. My old Preshaw chanter used to belong to John - www.unionpipes.co.uk

Patrick.
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

The liner notes for "Tripswitch" [CD released this year] include notes on John and Donal's instruments:

Williams set with a McAloon chanter is what it says
P O' Hare

John mc sherrys pipes

Post by P O' Hare »

John plays a sean mc aloon persian boxwood chanter with williams drone, regulators made from african blackwood and brass. The bellows are also williams. The bag he is one that he made himself. A " double skin synthetic bag.This is much the same as the type that paddy keenan, davy spilane, finbar furey and francis mc ilduff use. This has been preferred by many pipers of late becase of what is termed " assisted playing pressure"
Basically this is caused by the fact that there is a slight stretch in the synthetic bag (as this "degree of stretch" retracts the action has the affect of adding to the playing pressure, hence the term) whereas the classic hide bags tend to be "stretchless" affording no APP.

However what it fails to mention on the sleeve notes of the "tripswith" album is that the williams bass drone that came with the set has been replaced with the bass drone of his original mc aloon half set.

John made this change as he felt the william bass drone did not have the "kick" that he desires.

Hope this helps

Paddy
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

All in all, it is a very nice sounding chanter. I wonder how many chanters McAloon made? Anyone know who else has one?

Jeff
seananfheadog

Post by seananfheadog »

Thanks P O'Hare for the info.

How come you know so much??

By the way Mr McSherry et al are in The Cobblestone in Dublin tomorrow night and in the markethouse in Monaghan tomorrow night if anyone would like to check out what gear he is currently using. http://www.atfirstlight.net/tourdates.html

J