what whistle should I get?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
arnie
antispam: No

what whistle should I get?

Post by arnie »

a topic much replied on. And now from my side. I had a Dixon alloy D whistle, of which I liked the sound. Problem was that it quickly overblowed going to the second octave, too quickly. The lowest tones were difficult to play because I couldn't blow soft enough. Then I traded it in a very good bargain for a Chieftain high D. Beautiful whistle, beautiful sound, but.... it's too loud and it takes a lot of air in the second octave. What I'm looking for is something inbetween. Can anyone give me some advise?
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

Try a Burke. Nicely balanced and not too loud. Same with a Sindt, but a bit quieter.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Bridges-PdP

Post by Bridges-PdP »

I can recommend either a SYN or Black Diamond. Volume is mid-range and no issues with overblowing or underblowing. I have three different Dixons. I like them, but I know exactly what you mean. Right now, I'm playing SYNs, a BD and a couple of Hoovers. My Hoovers are a bit quieter, but very nice.
Scott Bridges

Auxilio ab alto
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Burke, Sindt, Black Diamond, new Reyburn, Humphrey should all fill the bill nicely. My personal favorite is the Burke.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Yes, Burke.
~JessieD
arnie

what whistle should I get

Post by arnie »

thanks. I appreciate it. I heard some sound samples and Burke sounds very nice indeed. Loudness and pressure and that sort of thing is something I must have advise on from others, because there's nowhere near where I live a shop which sells whistles. So I'm glad with all the advise and also with trading offers (if anyone seeks a near brandnew Chieftain high D)
kintailpipes

Post by kintailpipes »

Go with the Burke now because they are readily available and put in an order for a Sindt.
Love this stuff, eh? You won't regret it!
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I think you'd be happy with any of these: Burke, Hoover, Syn, Black Diamond, Impempe, or O'Brien. All of these are easy to play and relatively forgiving, and all represent a lot of whistling bang for the buck.

Also I left you a PM.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Wilsing

Post by Wilsing »

Don't forget Gary Humphrey....he makes a VERY nice whistle with a

nice traditional sound. His whistles feel great in the hands and are very

easy to control. If you haven't played one of Gary's whistles, you are

missing out on a fine instrument.

-James

A Stor Mo Chroi
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Ditto to the above, I would say that the Black Diamond, Burke Brass, or Reyburn would be my top picks from that list. You may want to consider the new Dixon Trad, I played Slowair's at the NE Chiff gathering and had a hard time putting it down. Mike (Slowair) told me that this model has a wider bore than the other Dixon's, which would mean it should be harder to overblow. If you see a Water Weasel up for sale, snatch it up as that is something else you may like.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The usual alternative is to practice a bit of breathcontrol Learning to play usually solves a few problems with squeaky instruments. Image
arnie

Post by arnie »

thanks Peter, true, this is the alternative, I'm not saying I'm going to sell my Chieftain. I love the pure sound, especially in the lower octave, and I know I have to practise a bit as I do already with my Overton low D (every day). I might get over the uneasyness of having to use more airpressure, but still, it's so loud in the higher octave. I'm doubting whether or not it's the right instrument for me and right now.
arnie

which whistle should I get

Post by arnie »

I listened to a sound sample of the Impempe. The purity of the sound amazes me and I love it. Then again, it's just one sample. Also it's a beautiful looking instrument. Anyone having some experience with it that is: how's the airvolume, backpressure, loudness, lower vs. higher octave?
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

Arnie, have a look at Silkstone. I have one and I think they're great.

soundclips at: http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/index.htm

You can come over to my place and try mine if you like.
I also own a Burke D narrow bore brass, so you can hear the difference.
:) Rini
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

arnie wrote:thanks Peter, true, this is the alternative, I'm not saying I'm going to sell my Chieftain. I love the pure sound, especially in the lower octave, and I know I have to practise a bit as I do already with my Overton low D (every day). I might get over the uneasyness of having to use more airpressure, but still, it's so loud in the higher octave. I'm doubting whether or not it's the right instrument for me and right now.
I actually was referring to you complaining to all and sundry about the Dixon. The Dixon shouldn't be hard to play at all if you have any basic playing skills. Throwing money at more whistles until you find a foolproof one won't do you much good if you don't address the underlying problem and learn to play first. You probably know the old 'al draagt een aap een gouden ring, hij is en blijft een lelijk ding' which sums up buying a 180 euro whistle quite nicely if you can't play it. First things first and all that.
Last edited by Cayden on Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.