Your 3 Favorite Flute Albums?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Paddy Carty, whatever that record was called
Music at Matt Malloy's (not strictly a flute album, but plenty of fine fluting on it.
Gabe O'Sullivan, Joe and the Gabe (again not a flute record, but some fine fluting tracks on it.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Harry
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Harry »

The Best of Seamus Tansey
Dessie's "The Three Piece Flute"
Fluters of Old Erin
McKenna "His Original Recordings"
Frankie Gavin's Flute Yoke
Tansey's "King of the Concert Flute"
Kevin Henry's "One's Own Place"

"Joe and The Gabe" is also superb, but is not strictly a flute album as simon already mentioned. Should be re-released.

Three of those in no particular order, depending on the day.

Regards,

Harry.
Last edited by Harry on Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harry

Post by Harry »

And I'm forgetting Roger Sherlock's excellent solo LP. On the Topic label maybe? Have only ever had a copy of it.

That's another one that should be re-released.

Regards,

H.
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Tim Weissberg & Dan Fogelberg: Twin Sons of Different Mothers
Jethro Tull: Songs from the Wood
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
johnkerr

Re: Your 3 Favorite Flute Albums?

Post by johnkerr »

BrendanB wrote:
greenspiderweb wrote: While there are a lot of great solo flute albums, sometimes the best flute albums are duet or group albums. Personally, I think having more than one musician opens up the space for more interesting things that don't come across on a solo album.
Like cowbell. Gotta have more cowbell! Really explore the studio space...

I would agree with most of what has been suggested so far, although IIRC Seamus Egan's "When Juniper Sleeps" doesn't have all that much flute on it, does it? Mostly banjo, guitar, tres, etc, isn't it? Is this the album where he plays Emily's reel? That's a nice bit of fluting.

So let me add a couple of other selections that haven't been mentioned yet:

Catherine and John McEvoy "The Kilmore Fancy". Flute and fiddle is my favorite combination, although I have to say that as good as this album and Catherine's solo album are, neither one does justice to the power of her playing when experienced live.

Joe Burke "The Tailor's Choice" This one came out many years ago on one of the Irish labels (Claddagh, maybe?) and I have it on an old Green Linnet vinyl LP, so it may not be available any more. But there's some lovely flute playing on there. It's a shame Joe Burke doesn't play flute any more.

"Flute Players of Roscommon" This is a compliation album that came out several years ago, sort of a localized WFO. It has tracks from Patsy Hanly, Tommy Guihen, Catherine McEvoy, John Kelly, John Carlos, Pat Finn, John Wynne, Brian Duke, John P. Carty, Frank Jordan, Patsy McNamara and Bernard Flaherty.

Seamus McGuire (fiddle) and John Lee (flute) "The Missing Reel" This one is an all-time classic, in mine and many others' opinions.
chas

Re: Your 3 Favorite Flute Albums?

Post by chas »

johnkerr wrote:Joe Burke "The Tailor's Choice" This one came out many years ago on one of the Irish labels (Claddagh, maybe?) and I have it on an old Green Linnet vinyl LP, so it may not be available any more. But there's some lovely flute playing on there. It's a shame Joe Burke doesn't play flute any more.
Man, I completely spaced on this one. As good an accordion player as he is, I just love his fluting. ( It must be the beard; that guy has absolutely the best flute beard.) It took me awhile to get into his style; there's something about it that's different from most of the other Irish fluters.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

4 Flute tunes on "When Juniper Sleeps", plus a bunch of low whistle stuff.

What I dig about the flute playing on that recording is that 3 of those tunes are nice slow tunes, so you get to hear the side of Egan's playing that often isn't heard so much on the Solas recordings. One of the slow tunes is done on a Bb which is particularly nice. I'm a sucker for tunes played on the Bb flute.

Loren
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Has anyone mentioned John Creaven's "The story so far?" Another very fine "solo" flute recording.

Loren
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Not keen on solo albums be it flute, fiddle, pipes or bodhran, favourites are:-

Any Flook album
Conor Byrne - Wind dancer
Conor Byrne & Maebh O'Hare - Bavan
Molloy & Keane - Contentmeant is wealth

How about favourite session/s - mine are:-

A Marcas Ó Murchú (Eb) session in the kitchen of one of the two Mullagh pubs one Willie week many moons ago.

Telegraph Sunday night session that ran for many years on Brixton Hill, London.

John
murrough o'kane

Post by murrough o'kane »

maracirac wrote:thanks both of you kevin and murrough about informations of o'murchu new album!
i just check and it is possible to order his new album on mulligan records.
hope that lenght of his new album will be same as old one!( over 70 min!)
and hope that bodran player will be same ! ( seamus)
marin
Marin, Marcas is recovering from a hernia operation at present so is taking a break from playing but in the meantime some of the Crosskeys musicians who feature with him on the CD will be heading off to university so owner Vincent Hurl has special night in honour of Marcas at the Crosskeys Inn near Toomebridge, Ireland's oldest pub on Friday 22 September.

He will be launching the CD officially at the Millennium Theatre as part of Oireachtas on Friday November 3 in Derry at 7pm with guests including Oisin mac Diarmada, Seamus O Kane and more. I have heard that he will be in concert at the Culturlann Mc Adam O Fiaich venue in Belfast on 14 October with Sean Og Graham guitar and Oisin Mac Diarmada on fiddle.

The Fleadh shop and the main music shop in Letterkenny exhausted their complete stocks at Fleadh weekend. :boggle: A great sign but no surprise considering the CD's quality. CD turas Ceoil (CICD 163) is available from www.cic.ie

Marcas has a new Email address- turasceoil@hotmail.com and the contact phone is 00353 87 2326498.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

naturally some really great recording's have already been mentioned, glad other folks like them too. i'll add some more to the list that i enjoyed:

packie duignan and seamus horan's music from county leitrim (fiddle/flute/and thumpy thing)

marcus hernon's solo recording (forget the name)

mick tubridy's eagle whistle

colm o'donnell's the hills of kilmactigue (flute/whistle/sean nos)

michael bonamy's recording
maracirac

Post by maracirac »

thank for info murrough!
today i recieved his new cd ( order via mulligan records), and had chance for only one listening, and my first impression was very good, altough i prefer sound from his first album ( i like sound of pure flute and bodhran of bouzouki maybe..) i know some of tunes on album , but as i expect lot tunes unfamiliar to me , so lot material for learning.i wish that lenght of album is bigger ( 47 min compare with 71 min of first album!)
excellent details of tunes wich i like a lot...
i am shure that i will like it more and more after some listening more...
marcas is with harry bradley player wich i listen a most ( and davy maguire !)
marin
murrough o'kane

Post by murrough o'kane »

maracirac wrote:thank for info murrough!
No problem Marin.

Harry is a GREAT player!

Great power, great tone and a great style of playing! He has a real vibrance to his playing - very energetic! It's very musical and a very identifiable style; something that a lot of players lack these days. There are too many clones, and not enough original players with a nice identifiable, regional style. Harry most certainly has this, and I like what he has to say about the current state of traditional Irish music, in this day and age.
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

Worth mentioning would be an album by Martin Meechan. It came out last year but I can't remember the name for the life of me. Martin's a seriously underrated player, but he's pure class.
m.d.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

current week's listening pleasure: june mccormack

i'll add her to the list.